pixeltracker

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)- Page 2

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#25re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 9:24pm

Great photos and review Jay. I always look forward to your 10/10 Reports. Thanks so much for sharing.

Zeitoujo
#26re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 9:40pm

Spring Awakening is a million times better than this garbage. The songs make sense, the story is interesting, you feel for the chracters; just everything. N2N was mediocre to say the least and was a waste of talent and money.

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

dave1606
#27re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 9:44pm

why does everyone get so vicious? is it possible to not like something and be nice about it? i hated the homecoming, but i dont go hunting through threads to bad mouth it.

I understand their are alot of opinions on this show, but for me this AND SA are great. i have seen SA six times so don't think i dont like it. but easy here. And if you want to attack songs lets talk about Purple summer. i love SA but you can't deny there are some issues there.

snl89
#28re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 9:45pm

See, now, I ADORE Spring Awakening too. I really, really do. I think it is one of the most brilliantly crafted shows playing right now, and it fully deserves all the critical praise it has gotten since it opened.

That said, I actually feel like the book for Next to Normal is a bit stronger. And once the creative team really takes it and puts the final touches on it to make it as good as it can possibly be, I think it will be incredibly, incredibly solid. I just feel like, even though there are still a couple of choppy parts rights now (*cough*Perfect for You*cough*), the characters are more well developed than the ones in Spring Awakening, and there are very large portions of the show that move along at a delightfully quick, exciting clip (pretty much from I Miss The Mountains through the entire rest of act 1, I feel like the show is extrememly solid. The second act could use a little bit more work, but pretty much from Why Stay until the end is really strong. And there are other moments in there two that are great) Oh, and I personally love this score just as much as SA too, which is saying ALOT because the SA score was on repeat on my ipod for a good 6 months after I first saw the show. Non-stop. Not even kidding. lol

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 3/9/08 at 09:45 PM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#29re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 9:48pm

Dave1606, I agree. I may not like a show, but I'm not vicious about it. And in some cases (Spring Awakening) I will give them another chance. I haven't yet with SA, but really should get on that before I'm no longer a student. LOL.

And snl ~ I definitely agree with the polishing. The removal of "Costco" made a huge improvement and I can't wait to see what else they tighten.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

dave1606
#30re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 10:00pm

I think that alot of the problems with N2N could be fixed during a transfer to Broadway and really hope that they get that chance!

I really don't want this show to end here! So not fair if it does.

amsterdam13
#31re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:52pm

This is my first time posting. A few weeks ago I got the chance to see Next to Normal with a family friend.

Warning of spoilers…

So, we got tickets, didn’t know much about the show except that it was suppose to be good. My friend didn’t like the show but, I thought it was very good, not great, but very good. The main reason my friend disliked it was because her only two children died separately ten years ago and eight years ago. The day was emotional as it was because it was her oldest son’s birthday. Her children were teenagers when they died, but she found the show to be too emotional, especially during the scene when Diana dances with Gabe and when Natalie sings “Superboy and the Invisible Girl.” Her son was just like Natalie’s character before he died. Now my friend never went through electro shock therapy or hallucinated about seeing any of her sons but, the show mimicked her life way too closely. She felt like she was re-living everything over again. Now she didn’t bash the show, she thought the performances were great, especially Alice. She also thought Feeling Electric was done extremely well. She is a big fan of Les Mis and Spring Awakening, which are both depressing shows in their own way. So she doesn't hate every depressing show. But you can understand why she doesn't like this show, just because she can relate to it too much.

I really don’t have much to add, that hasn’t been said already by other people. I thought the show was very good. I wasn't a big fan of Natalie and Henry's relationship. I think with a little work on certain lyrics, it could be so much better. Also, I am interested to see the show now that Costco was removed, even though I liked the number.

Also just to add, after the show we went to get some drinks a few blocks from the theater. We are sitting down, my playbill was out, and suddenly Aaron walks in with his girlfriend and sits down directly next to us. The restaurant was small, so we were directly on top of each other. I think once they saw my playbill on the table, they asked to be moved. I can understand them wanting to move, although they only moved one table over. We didn’t try and talk to him or anything but I am sure he just wanted to relax. But, you have to admit, strange day, right? The day had way too many coincidences and to happen on all days, but on her son’s birthday.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#32re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:17am

Alright I figured I might as well hop on the band wagon and post a review because Jay and David did and I'm in the pictures with them, so I shouldn't leave myself out of the discussion.
Here is my review, which is also viewable in my blog (A link to which in my signature. Please note my blog is kinda lame but I welcome you to read and comment on it as you please)

This past Saturday I made a journey to Off-Broadway ("I hate Off-Broadway. Mimes, experimental theater, no parking. It's a jungle down there.") While there were sadly no mime sightings, I did have the pleasure of seeing Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey's new musical, "Next to Normal" at Second Stage Theater.

Just a warning, I'm not going to have much of a clue when it comes to song titles because there isn't a song listing in the playbill. I went in completely blind, having not even heard any material from the show's previous incarnation as "Feeling Electric".

"Next to Normal" (hence to be referred to as N2N, for ease of typing) centers around the married couple of Dan (Brian D'Arcy James, he of the eyebrows) and Diana (Alice Ripley) and their children Natalie (the fantastic Jennifer Daimano) and Gabe (Aaron Tveit). Or at least that appears to be the cast of characters at the onset. It quickly becomes apparently that Diana suffers from delusions and possibly other mental afflictions as she begins to make sandwiches off of the floor for her families lunches. Diana has been seeing a psychiatrist for a number of years and no combination of drugs seems to be working. The song "My Clinical Psychopharmacologist" (just an aside- that is my new second favorite word behind antidisestablishmentarianism)
gives a fantastic, rapid fire account of the potential combinations of differently shaped and colored medications that are available for the treatment of mental illness. The song also features a riff on the multitude of side effects that these drugs may carry. Diana's mental illness of course takes a toll on family life. Brian D'Arcy James plays Dan as a somewhat defeated man who still remains hopeful that Diana and subsequently his family can recover from whatever it is that is affecting Diana. Sixteen year old Natalie is not just your run of the mill disaffected youth. She has good reason to be the way she is. Natalie is a perfectionist, clearly seen in her attempts at mastering "Invention in C" by Bach. She develops a relationship with Henry (Adam Chanler-Berat) who enjoys jazz piano more than classical and sees himself as a purist when it comes to drugs, preferring marijuana to raiding his parent's medicine cabinet like the preppies and jocks do in the N2N universe. The narrative force of the play is how Diana handles the delusion that she has regarding her son Gabe, charmingly and forcefully played by Aaron Tveit. Gabe is a source of comfort for Diana, but he may also be the root of her problem.

Tom Kitt's score is rock music pure and simple. This is not a showtuney type of show. The aggressive of Kitt's score couples brilliantly with the angst of the family. Standout songs are "I'm Alive", an ironically named song performed by Gabe, which no one in the family seems to hear and "Feeling Electric" which is the background for the most radical step of Diana's treatment. The first act ends with this song, which alludes to the electroshock therapy that is recommended by Diana's doctor (Asa Somers, who plays two different doctors: Madden and Fine). As I mentioned before I really can't do much with song titles because I don't have a list of them.

Alice Ripley does an amazing job of displaying an emotionally damaged woman. This is especially seen in her varying interactions with her children. When she is around Gabe she is connected to him in both a physical and emotional sense. Natalie and Diana have an extremely cold relationship, which is caused and further fueled by Diana and Gabe's relationship. As mentioned before BDJ (it's just easier that way) plays Dan as a broken man. Yet he is almost always supportive of Diana, while trying to maintain a balance with and appeasing Natalie. His final scene with Natalie was truly touching and real. Not for a second did I feel like Dan's interactions with his daughter were contrived. I felt that Jennifer Damiano was a real stand out. Her breakdown at the piano recital and subsequent pill-fueled downward spiral were both emotionally devastating. Her voice was spectacular, further making me hope that this incarnation of N2N gets preserved with a cast recording.

Mark Wendland's set is a three-tiered with a industrial framework that features a few moving panels that easily allow the actors to change the scenery in a manner that is totally un-distracting and allows them to proceed from scene to scene with little interruption. The members of the band are also strategically placed on the sides of the second and third stories of the set. This created the literal effect of having the music surround the story. It was also nice to see Mary-Mitchell Campbell (who should have gotten at least a Tony nomination for the orchestrations on Company least season) rocking out. Kevin Adams' (who won a Tony last year for his work on Spring Awakening) again employs a bevy of neon lights to brilliant effect, especially in "Feeling Electric".

The director Michael Greif (Rent, Grey Gardens) has constructed a taut, well-conceived production. During the first act, Gabe appears on the top tier of the set, I think during "I'm Alive" and seems to invoke Mimi from Rent during "Out Tonight" as she traversed the catwalk at the top of the set. Greif employs an interesting change of perspective during "Feeling Electric", Diana while standing on the second story of the set is strapped into a table to begin the electroshock therapy treatment. On the third story the doctors are applying the electrodes to her head, while lying down, but because of the perspective they appear to be standing and we are viewing the scene topographically.

I have heard a great deal of criticism of the show that has to deal with the depiction of mental illness and the varying treatments within the material. Mental illness is an incredibly multi-faceted issue that would be nearly impossible to give a fully developed treatment within the context of a two hour plus play. IF the requisite amount of information was to be expressed the material would become overly didactic, so I find that criticism on this level to be unwarranted.

It is wonderful to hear that despite the show being opening and only closing in one weeks' time, the production team is still making numerous changes (for the better I'm told) on the show. After seeing the show I became saddened that it is not transferring to Broadway this season, but I am hopeful that after an out of town tryout next season it will make it's way back onto the boards.

EDIT- Next time I should proofread before I post.
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 12:17 AM

dave1606
#33re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:35am

Great review Steve! I really hope it does an out of town tryout also. I think that would help the show alot. Glad you took the time to really highlight almost every creative element in the show. I liked almost every aspect that was mentioned. Basically there isn't much on here that I don't agree with. re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)

Mimes eh? I would like to see a show with some mimes in it! let me know when the next one comes around haha. I know theres one with bubbles but that just isn't enough for me.

frogs_fan85
#34re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:42am

I got to see Eddie Izzard do his impression of a mime weaving an image of a battle as it was going on a few weeks ago at the Union Square Theater, so I guess things have balanced out.

Thread jack over

Back to Next to Normal.

East Village Profile Photo
East Village
#35re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:04am

"I have heard a great deal of criticism of the show that has to deal with the depiction of mental illness and the varying treatments within the material. Mental illness is an incredibly multi-faceted issue that would be nearly impossible to give a fully developed treatment within the context of a two hour plus play. IF the requisite amount of information was to be expressed the material would become overly didactic, so I find that criticism on this level to be unwarranted. "

I really think you need to rethink that. N2N is essentially an indictment against psychiatry -- and yes it is unless you want to ignore one of its central themes. One would hope the authors could attempt a realistic portrayal of mental illness, its treatment as well as a credible presentation of the mental health profession to invite some sort of meaningful commentary. Such is not outside the grasp of drama -- musical or otherwise. Do a search on psychiatry in film or drama for a litany of examples.

frogs_fan85
#36re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:20am

"credible presentation of the mental health profession to invite some sort of meaningful commentary."

I do agree with that whole heartedly. The two doctors are essentially the same character who can provide no answers for Diana and keep trying different treatments in the hopes of finding a solution. The only firm (I know Dan waffles about it at first) counterpoint presented against the electroshock treatment is Natalie's disapproval. There definitely is not a balanced argument being presented. And yes I also agree that the material as it is given does not create a stimulus for meaningful discussion, but rather provides a broad outline for an extreme (and fictional) occurrence. I just don't see how accuracy is essential in the creation of a work of fiction.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#37re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:34am

I'd say it's more of an indictment against medication than psychotherapy. They do end it with Dan reaching out for help, and with the changes, Diana now isn't totally shutting the door on it, just Dr. Madden.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

#38re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 6:24am

i appreciate this thread.
it doesnt seem like it would be my cup of tea, but it sounds like a quality production. maybe its just too close to home for me.
i am curious about Ms Ripley, shee seems like someone i would like.

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#39re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 6:41am

Jay great in depth review. I'm I won't be seeing it again since it closes this weekend re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

exedore
#40re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:59am

I totally agree about the music, Aaron, Brian, Jennifer, etc. I still, however, can't get into Alice's voice with this character despite hearing remnants of three different performances. I'm not sure if it's just being used to Amy Spanger's take from NYMF or what, but there's something about it that just doesn't click for me. That said, she totally nails the look in all the photos.

Re: the ending, I don't like the fact that they're all coming to one level. This is a story of individuals and the idea that everyone's a big happy family doesn't fly. Someone posted the idea that everyone should be on the different levels through the stage and that makes more sense IMHO. As far as "Let there be light" goes, I think it's a case of engaging the whole frame. At the beginning it's a desperate prayer - please let this ****ing nightmare that is my life be sorted. At the end, it's a sign that while things are still ****, the worst is over and healing can begin.

I totally agree about Asa - he lacks both the vocal edge and the compassion that Anthony Rapp had in the character, though I feel this is also the result (along with the general backlash about the mental illness/psychiatry issues) of the textual changes. The workshop version was far more balanced in its presentation, and you could tell that the character of Madden did care about Diana. Likewise there was the emphasis throughout that no, medicine's not bad - three women at work are doing better, Dan seeks treatment, etc. and the theme was clearer that in this case, it wasn't the right solution. IIRC there's a cut line from NYMF where Diana's giving her goodbye speech to Dr Madden and he comments along the lines of "Did any of it, the ECT, help?" and Diana replies that perhaps it did. While the memory loss, etc. is exaggerated and rushed over in this version, the fact that Diana has to confront what happened as a result of the loss shows that yes, it did help her even if not in manner intended.

Or, in other words, this is a long winded way of saying "in their quest to shave the runtime, the process of revising the show led to an overworkshopped version that overcomplicated what was previously rather straightforward and clear."

Scenic design...yeah, gotta go with you. I've heard it's clever, but it looks fugly, esp. with all the light bulbs in the background.

That said, I'm still buying the cast recording if it happens as soon as it hits iTunes.

Looking forward to the next review!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#41re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:08am

Thank you, j* for this re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)

It sounds like it kind of like TOMMY but not re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)

So it's closing this weekend?

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#42re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 11:26am

Steve- that was a great review!

exedore- I totally agree with everything you said.. I think you & I have the same impression of the show..I think you nailed everything I wanted to say.

Wat- We have a great time hanging out with you too!

EponineAmneris- its closing this weekend..till 3/16 Sunday..

btw- if you guys go to YouTube on Anthony's Feeling Electric number.. there's a link there for an audio samples of Aaron Tveit singing "I'm Alive " and the not to miss "I Am the One" by Aaron & Brian D' Arcy with Alice Ripley...

J*

Updated On: 3/10/08 at 11:26 AM

snl89
#43re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:32pm

I totally agree about Asa - he lacks both the vocal edge and the compassion that Anthony Rapp had in the character, though I feel this is also the result (along with the general backlash about the mental illness/psychiatry issues) of the textual changes. The workshop version was far more balanced in its presentation, and you could tell that the character of Madden did care about Diana. Likewise there was the emphasis throughout that no, medicine's not bad - three women at work are doing better, Dan seeks treatment, etc. and the theme was clearer that in this case, it wasn't the right solution. IIRC there's a cut line from NYMF where Diana's giving her goodbye speech to Dr Madden and he comments along the lines of "Did any of it, the ECT, help?" and Diana replies that perhaps it did. While the memory loss, etc. is exaggerated and rushed over in this version, the fact that Diana has to confront what happened as a result of the loss shows that yes, it did help her even if not in manner intended.

Or, in other words, this is a long winded way of saying "in their quest to shave the runtime, the process of revising the show led to an overworkshopped version that overcomplicated what was previously rather straightforward and clear."

THAT is actually something I had not really thought about. And you know, I agree with you in a lot of ways. Unfortunately, it's really hard because... in SO many ways, this production is WAY tighter and better than Feeling Electric. In fact, listening to Feeling Electric now, there are so many parts where I'm like "WOW, I can't believe I actually loved this so much before!". But there IS something to be said for the fact that when the show was Feeling Electric, it was a lot more straightfoward, and I think that there are aspects of that workshop version that a lot of people would find much better than the way they are now. Like you said, I think Dr. Madden is a bit more well rounded and fleshed out in Feeling Electric.

Again, though, the problem is that it's not so simple as to say they should go BACK to that. First off, it dragged WAY too much. Secondly, all the changes made have made the show smoother imo. It's just that, when they had the luxory of making it a longer show, it gave them the opportunity to do more with the characters (Dr. Madden imparticular), and that made the show something that I think less people probably had a problem with. It was too dark that way, because it DID delve so deep into the dark elements of the show, but in some ways that was a good thing.

I personally think it's the strongest it's ever been right now, but I DO think you make a very good point :)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#44re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:13pm

jaystarr-thanks for a wonderful report! I'm looking forward to your season finale-your report on Speech and Debate made me want to see the show, and it turned into one of the best times I have had in a theatre!

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#45re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:29pm

Next To Normal is NOT an indictment of Psychiatry. Anyone who says that is clearly dense (specifically East Village). It is an indictment of the CURRENT STATE of psychiatry (and just the medical field in general). As someone else said, its more about indictment of drugs than psychotherapy. In this day and age its all about drugging people instead of actually dealing with the problem. Now yes, I KNOW drugs are often necessary is many cases, but they aren't necessary in every case, and should ONLY be used in TANDEM with psycho therapy, but sadly, that doesn't always happen, and what happens is we get armies of zombified people who aren't dealing with their problems, they're being given a quick, but ultimately ineffective fix. As was already pointed out, at the end, there is much hope in Dan's actions when he reaches out for therapy. That's teh positive.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#46re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on NEXT TO NORMAL (with stage door photos)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:42pm

Exactly liverpool. :) I freaked out on my sister when she said her doctor (GP, not psychiatry) had prescribed anti-depressants for her ~ with NO talk therapy. THAT is completely irresponsible.

I also see a lot of hope (sad as it is) in Diana realizing she needs to make some steps on her own. And with the changes, they do make it sound like she's not totally shutting the door on therapy...just Dr. Madden. (I love Alice's continued story...I think it's in the Playbill.com diva talk, but I could be wrong.)

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Videos