GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!

Lauren_T
#1GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:26am

I heard casting is complete. Anyone know of any casting? Rumors? It has kinda been quiet lately.

Updated On: 3/10/08 at 01:26 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:28am

Nice misleading headline.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#2re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:31am

yeah for real.

lame.

i think hav may have auditioned. i would be stoked if she was in it.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Chason Profile Photo
Chason
#3re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:55am

So they're really going to put GODSPELL back on Broadway, huh? Well, why should I be surprised? They put GREASE back on. I can see a local production (a GOOD one, mind you) of GODSPELL approximately 3 times a year in DFW. Don't get me wrong.. I love Godspell. I love the music and.... eh....I love the music. AND I'm Christian - so the music means something to me. That's the point, though - it's ALL about the music. And to be honest, I find it hard to believe that people would pony up 125 bucks to see a musical as simple to produce as GODSPELL. Some producer is hoping to lick his chops! On the OTHER hand - I think that a good production of Godspell could settle in at some off-broadway house and enchant audiences for as many years as The Fantasticks did. It's that kind of play!

George: Rubbing alcohol for you, Martha? Martha: Never mix, never worry!

Parks
#4re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 2:02am

Who wants to be Jesus is stunt cast at some point?

I saw a pretty bad production of the show at a church in Dallas on Friday night... I think having it on Broadway will be great. I'd definitely pay...50 dollars for a ticket to the show. Depending on what the reviews are like for the show--I might pay full price.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

Parks
#5re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 2:02am

Double post. It's been a while.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 02:02 AM

Chason Profile Photo
Chason
#6re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 2:08am

Parks: Well, naturally, if you see GODSPELL at a CHURCH (and haven't we all) you're looking at a cast of 20 that was pooled from an audition of 30! And only 4 or 5 of them are even in the CHOIR. That's not what I was talking about, and you know it. Get REAL!

George: Rubbing alcohol for you, Martha? Martha: Never mix, never worry!

Parks
#7re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 2:46am

I'm pretty sure anyone who WANTED to do this production got in.

I was in a church though... so I couldn't be too mean. I had to keep my laughter to a minimum.

When there's a production going on somewhere, let me know!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#8re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:00am

I'm with you Chason, this should settle Off Broadway where it was originally.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#9re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:43am

Godspell

Broadhurst Theatre, (6/22/1976 - 9/13/1976)
Plymouth Theatre, (9/15/1976 - 1/9/1977)
Ambassador Theatre, (1/12/1977 - 9/4/1977)

Preview: Jun 17, 1976
Opening: Jun 22, 1976
Closing: Sep 4, 1977

Total Previews: 5
Total Performances: 527
Category: Musical, Original, Broadway
Godspell - IBDB

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#10re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:12am

"That's the point, though - it's ALL about the music. And to be honest, I find it hard to believe that people would pony up 125 bucks to see a musical as simple to produce as GODSPELL."

You mean that a producer could just hire a bunch of kids, skip the set, throw up a bunch of neon lights and hope people come? Simple to produce that way? I might go out on a limb here and guess but there might be more people interested in the story more than the music. I don't know, just a hunch.

husk_charmer
#11re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:20am

I say about this what I have about the current GYPSY revival:

"Why is this revival necessary?"

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#12re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:22am

There has never been a revival of GODSPELL. The original production closed in 1977. I would say it's due for a revival. I don't get the comparison to the current GYPSY revival.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

husk_charmer
#13re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:26am

WBAF-
It had an Off-Broadway revival in 2000, and a national tour in 2001. Both spawned cast recordings. It feels a bit soon for me.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:28am

Oh, OK. I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

husk_charmer
#15re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:33am

The Off-Broadway revival had some people that we now call "names", like:
Barrett Foa (Jesus)
Shoshana Bean
Capathia Jenkins
Chad Kimball
Leslie Kritzer

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#16re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 10:12am

Scott Schwartz directed that tour --my friend Joey played Jesus...it had a cool design concept.

ItsCalledHistory
#17re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 10:53am

While I'd love to hear who has been cast, I'd love to hear what theatre it's going into... I keep reading on here that it's happening (on Broadway) but where?

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#18re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 11:05am

Here's hoping it goes into Circle in the Square, that way the sad kids who didn't win the Wicked lotto, can pop over next door and see a scaled down production of a sub-par musical by their most favoritest composer evar!

Bleh, we don't need this, bring Pippin back if you're going to bring back another Schwartz show!

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

husk_charmer
#19re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 11:15am

Acrocksyo-
I love you for that.

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#20re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 11:28am

*wink*

Anything for you husk_charmer

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#21re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:17pm

And to be honest, I find it hard to believe that people would pony up 125 bucks to see a musical as simple to produce as GODSPELL

With the right staging and the right cast, the show could easily be a smash hit. While it is simple to produce, it is not so simple to direct a good production.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#22re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:19pm

And the average theatre-goer really likes this show--I've seen it twice and stage managed it once and there wasn't a dry eye in the house--standing ovations too--and the shows weren't all that good.

stagescreen Profile Photo
stagescreen
#23re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:26pm

acrocksyo: Bleh, we don't need this, bring Pippin back if you're going to bring back another Schwartz show!

Let's bring back THE BAKER'S WIFE.

<---- You can see the crazy in her eyes. ;-)

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#24re: GODSPELL BROADWAY CAST 2008!
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:30pm

LOL The Baker's Wife, so riddled with problems! Let's do it! It can just be a person standing onstage and singing "Meadowlark" then it ends!