Broadway Shows on SNL?

BenKaye Profile Photo
BenKaye
#1Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 12:56am

This idea was just raised in the Passing Strange Love Thread.

Why don't Broadway shows perform on Saturday Night Live? Many of the shows on Broadway are far better than the bands that perform on the show currently. I'm not saying getting rid of the musical guest all together, but, you can have famous musicians, AND Broadway shows. It's at 12 in the evening, so all shows are finished already, and it's great exposure for the shows.

Any thoughts?

My blog- http://okayentertainment.blogspot.com/

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 1:00am

SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE/SNL has been airing on NBC since 1975.

They never did it then nor in the past and won't in the future.

It does not fit the style of the show nor Lorne Michaels' format of the show.

Sorry.

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#2re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 1:02am

Could be the "LIVE" thing....timing constraints. Money?
Anybody remember the Ed Sullivan Show, when some of the Acts got cut off right in the middle?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 1:18am

Jennifer Holliday did two numbers from Dreamgirls on the show. That's the closest they've come to putting Broadway shows on. Not gonna happen.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#4re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 1:19am

I recall Jennifer Holliday singing "I'm Not Going" and "One Night Only" when DREAMGIRLS was on Broadway. The numbers were performed out of context. She was billed as the musical guest.

skb2010 Profile Photo
skb2010
#5re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 1:20am

it would be good exposure. agreed.

BUT it's better exposure for the bands. they are on tour more then shows are. Let's use my experiences as an example.

I live in the middle of Northern Illinois. chicago (that i have noticed) only has touring shows like "Mary Poppins" or "RENT" in one theater: The Cadillac. because Jersey Boys, Wicked, and i believe it's Altar Boyz at the Drury Lane. They don't come to rockford or freeport or anyplace like that.

Bands on the other hand do come to rockford. Skillet and Thousand Foot Krutch were here this week.

did i make any sense at all? I explained it the best i could there.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I? I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.
Updated On: 4/6/08 at 01:20 AM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#6re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 1:20am

Jinx! You owe me a Coke BobbyBubby.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#7re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 1:21am

Yeah, usually bands and artists are chosen if they are up and coming, or they have a new album or something coming out. Also, I've been inside of SNL studios before on a tour, and the stage is soooooo small. Actually, that is probably the biggest reason why they don't do more elaborate musical guests. The tour guides even said that people who brought entourages with them had a difficult time on the small stage. It's just the show. Almost any television show has really small sets.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#8re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 1:23am

I just can't help but think how many thousands of people would turn their TV's off when the Broadway Performance would start. The decline in ratings would send the people monitering them into the emergency room.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#9re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 1:39am

That's another good reason for them not to do it either. People already tune out during the regular performances. I don't do it myself, but if I'm not into a certain musical guest, I will leave the room to go to the bathroom or something. But I really think it comes down to studio size and show style.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#10re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 3:36am

Studio size? Are you guys joking with this?

THE ROSIE O'DONNELL SHOW and LIVE WITH REGIS & KELLY both feature/featured tons of Broadway musicals and have you seen how tiny THOSE studios are/were? Quite a tad smaller than the SNL stages, that's for sure.

SNL's demographics are NOT Broadway-ites. As others mentioned -- people change channels/tune-out/fast-forward their Tivos during most musical guests spots. They'd shut their TVs off if a Broadway musical did a number.

SNL likes to keep themselves current in every aspect of the show -- from its political satires, Weekend Update segment, to references in the current media. They keep this format even with the musical guests they choose to have on the show. Unfortunately -- Broadway doesn't fall into this criteria no matter WHAT we or anyone else thinks.

The odds of seeing a Broadway musical performance on SNL is about the same as Marissa Jaret Winokur winning this season on DANCING WITH THE STARS.

Booyah!

re: Broadway Shows on SNL?

temms Profile Photo
temms
#11re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 8:08am

The cast of "Pirates of Penzance" was the musical guest once in the '80s for a Christmas SNL - their first musical number (the five past twelve spot) was a medley from the show, done all in costume with the show choreography. The second number was an cappella christmas medley led by Linda Ronstadt, again in full show costume.

So it has been done before. Not sure what the circumstances of that were (did a booked guest cancel, and were they a last-minute replacement, maybe?), but I agree that it doesn't seem like a great fit to have Broadway musical numbers in that setting. I agree "Passing Strange" would probably work, though.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#12re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:31am

I find it interesting that they don't have casts of Broadway Musicals on, with those few exceptions, but from time to time they will refer to Broadway shows in skits or monolouges. They did just a few weeks ago. (Can't remember the show though!)

Just give the world Love.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#13re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 9:53am

I'm not joking about the studio size. Actually, seeing SNL live in the studio would be awesome for me, but apparently it really isn't a live studio audience show, even though you can go. You are able to see some things, but other times, you can't. All the main sets are, are small little box things. Sure, I think on a couple of the sets, the floors can be pulled out a little bit, but that's it. If Gwen Stefani bringing a whole entourage with her barely works, I can only imagine something more elaborate not working.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#14re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 10:16am

While it would be great exposure for the shows, it'll never happen. Like Brody said, Broadway musicals don't fit the style of SNL and the demographic they're targeting is not exactly the Broadway-going type. And I know I tune out or leave the room if I don't know who the musical guest is, so I can just imagine how many people would do the same if a Broadway show were to perform.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#15re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 10:49am

its just NOT. WHAT. THEY. DO, its not their style. it would be like asking to have a broadway performance open for a rock concert, its just not what they use.

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#16re: Broadway Shows on SNL?
Posted: 4/6/08 at 11:03am

I agree that most Broadway doesn't fit their "style" but once in a while a show such as Rent, Tommy, Spring Awakening, Hedwig...some of the more rock shows do fit their trendy style.
Plus back in the 70's when the show firs stared their musical guest were really more diverse. I'm surprised they didn't feature a few shows back then.

Videos