News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.

Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.

esparza 333
#1Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/18/08 at 7:49pm

Someone who is young and very versatile and has a tony or is tony worthy.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

MungoGypsy8232
#2re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/18/08 at 8:01pm

um, I don't know...possibly Sutton Foster?

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#2re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/18/08 at 8:45pm

Hmm...Audra McDonald? I mean she's not as strong at creating characters as Blanchett but...in terms of women under 40, I think she may be it.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

MungoGypsy8232
#3re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/18/08 at 8:49pm

yeah, definately Audra!

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#4re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/18/08 at 8:51pm

I too was going to say Sutton Foster. Evidenced by the fact she is always in demand to open a new show.

elphabelle07 Profile Photo
elphabelle07
#5re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/18/08 at 8:53pm

Neither Sutton or Audra (2 of my favorite performers of the stage) have Cate's elegance or diversity. But I think they comes pretty close.

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!"-Funny Girl

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#6re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/18/08 at 9:03pm

For me the first name that came to mind was Christine Ebersole. But that's just me.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Belleof14thStreet Profile Photo
Belleof14thStreet
#7re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/18/08 at 9:10pm

I find it interesting that everyones answer to this question has come in the form of a musical actress. They are not the be all end all of the Broadway community. Cate Blanchett is not a musical actress. I think that Elizabeth Marvel is the clear answer to this question. Or maybe Amy Morton. Intense and brilliantly talented dramatic actresses - non musical.

LittlexFallxOfxRain
#8re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/18/08 at 10:15pm

I would have to agree with Sutton, but it's an odd question because I can't ever see Cate Blanchett in a musical.

OpenDoors Profile Photo
OpenDoors
#9re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/18/08 at 10:42pm

Sutton Foster is so one note, which is the opposite of what Cate is. Audra Mcdonald comes closest in my mind.

georgiede
#10re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/18/08 at 11:10pm

Rachel York. Incredibly versatile.

MungoGypsy8232
#11re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/18/08 at 11:38pm

Belleof14thStreet, Audra has distinguished herself to be more than just a musical actress as evidenced by her heartbreaking turn in Raisin in the Sun! It just happens that most of her parts are in musicals.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#12re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/19/08 at 12:00am

Donna Murphy
Kate Burton
Mary-Louise Parker

All are versatile, have Tonys (or in Burton's case, Tony-worthy), and are relatively young.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ZiggyCringe
#13re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/19/08 at 12:31am

The answer you are seeking is: Cherry Jones. She's the complete equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#14re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/19/08 at 12:33am

I was gonna say Cherry Jones, but I think she's sort of in a class all by herself.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#15re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/19/08 at 12:48am

Belleof14thStreet, "intense and brilliantly talented dramatic actresses - non musical" is your interpretation of what constitutes a Cate Blanchett equivalent, but it's not the sole explanation of the question as stated.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/19/08 at 12:51am

Cherry Jones, hands down.

Brick
#17re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/19/08 at 1:06am

Cate Blanchett

Donna Murphy

Belleof14thStreet Profile Photo
Belleof14thStreet
#18re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/19/08 at 9:30pm

Just saying. Although I am a fan of all of the mentioned musical actresses - Christine Ebersole, Audra McDonald, and Sutton Foster - none of them made sense when the purpose was to draw a comparison to Cate Blanchett. All I'm saying. I will second the Cherry Jones mention, however. She is one of our luminaries of the American stage.

Idinster87
#19re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/19/08 at 10:21pm

Cherry Jones is breathtaking. Agreeeed.

But, I feel like the Academy LOVES to nominate Cate every single year, even if the movie was slammed (Elizabeth: The Golden Age, anyone?). So, I feel like Sutton Foster would also be an equivalent because she tends to receive Tony nominations for a good amount, proportionally, of her shows.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#20re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/19/08 at 10:40pm

Sutton Foster? As much as I enjoy her...I don't see it.

Few actors have the skill, the depth, and the transformative powers of Blanchett.

Some women come to mind who frequent the Broadway stage that could at least keep up with Blanchett:

Audra McDonald
Donna Murphy
Cherry Jones

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#21re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/19/08 at 10:47pm

I don't think its fair, since most of us haven't heard Blanchett sing, to compare who to musical theatre actors. It is a different craft. There ARE non-musical actors on Broadway.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#22re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/19/08 at 11:04pm

The reason I would compare Donna Murphy (primarily a musical theater actress) with someone like Blanchett, is because of Murphy's meticulous approach to each character she plays, her immense versatility, and of course the class that she immediately brings to any role (and subsequently any production) she is in.
Same could be said for Jones, Burton, and perhaps Laura Linney.
I think Sutton Foster is insanely talented but I don't think she can be compared to Blanchett in any way, except for the fact they are both female actors.

esparza 333
#23re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/19/08 at 11:11pm

What i meant when i was making this thread is that who can transform into so many kinds of roles doing brilliantly in everyone. For example Cate played both Queen Elizabeth and Bob Dylan and landed oscar nominations. She also won an oscar for playing Katherine Hepburn and played an elf. She is versatile in the way that she is performs brilliantly in all of her movies. So i just wanted to see your ideas on who had this main talent. It does not matter if the are musical or non musical. It does not matter if they are regulars on broadway or rarely seen. If they just have this quality it is fine.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#24re: Who is the equivalent of Cate Blanchett on Broadway.
Posted: 4/20/08 at 12:47am

Right. It's not a matter of singing or non-singing. It's a matter of transforming oneself so completely that each and every performance is markedly different yet equally brilliant.

As much as I enjoy Sutton Foster, she's got a long way to go before I consider her as brilliant and versatile an actress as those I mentioned above.

And yes, I do think that Donna Murphy is the best comparison.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Videos