pixeltracker

Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!

Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#1Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/24/08 at 9:10pm

www.playbill.com

Tony Award winner Anika Noni Rose will not be the Queen of Egypt this summer in the Stratford Shakespeare Festival's Caesar and Cleopatra in Canada.

Production scheduling conflicts related to the filming of "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" have prevented Rose, previously announced in the role, from coming to Stratford, Ontario, for the season. Rose is currently Maggie in Broadway's limited-run production of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Stratford artistic director Des McAnuff announced April 24 that Nikki M. James will play the role of Cleopatra opposite Christopher Plummer, who is playing Caesar, in the Festival's production of George Bernard Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra (Aug. 7-Nov. 9), directed by McAnuff.

James is also playing Juliet in McAnuff's production of Romeo and Juliet (May 7-Nov. Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!.

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

Blue J
#2re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/24/08 at 9:23pm

congratulations to nikki!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/24/08 at 9:50pm

That makes me quite sad. I know Anika Noni Rose said this was a dream role for her.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#3re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/24/08 at 9:58pm

Yes, sad to see Rose go, but James in!

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#4re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/24/08 at 10:41pm

It really is one thing after another this year at Stratford.

WOSQ
#5re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 9:54am

Bad career move.

Cleopatra opposite Plummer at a top international company is a higher profile job and a bigger career builder than just about any movie or tv she could do. Especially immediately following Maggie. Sometimes you sacrifice the money for the quality.

Somebody isn't getting good advice.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Fosse76
#6re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 10:46am

I guess they aren't interested in historical accuracy then.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#7re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 10:55am

If they were, they wouldn't have an 80 year old Caesar.
Updated On: 4/25/08 at 10:55 AM

Gothampc
#8re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 11:09am

Christopher Plummer isn't the easiest person to work with. She may have dodged a bullet on this one.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

husk_charmer
#9re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 11:12am

Maybe this means she can do NSMT's The Wiz!

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Fosse76
#10re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 11:20am

"If they were, they wouldn't have an 80 year old Caesar."

Lol that's so true. It's almost gross to even think about it.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#11re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 11:32am

well, I'm out of dish-washing liquid, and noone is sad for me!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

crushgroove
#12re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 11:34am

Are you kidding me? TV and movies are so much more high profile than doing theatre work at Stratford. Plus...if anyone has seen "The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency" knows that it was done nicely by the late director Anthony Minghella. The show will have a built in audience from the book series. The show reported may be bought by HBO. The pilot aired on the BBC to pretty good ratings as well.

Personally I think Mrs. Rose made a smart decision.

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#13re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 11:53am

Yay for Nikki!

Gothampc
#14re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 11:57am

"Maybe this means she can do NSMT's The Wiz!"

She really should be pushing top Broadway people to bring a Wiz revival to Broadway. She needs to get her name out there as leading lady not supporting actress. If she doesn't, she'll be going the Kristin Chenoweth route: lots of work but never the star.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Brick
#15re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 1:57pm

Hss anyone at the festival read the play?!

It's about two middle-aged lovers both past their prime.

husk_charmer
#16re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 1:58pm

I agree gotham, Rose is the only actress that I think could handle the role of Dorothy on Broadway right now.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#17re: Anika Noni Rose is out of Cleopatra!
Posted: 4/25/08 at 2:14pm

"Bad career move.

Cleopatra opposite Plummer at a top international company is a higher profile job and a bigger career builder than just about any movie or tv she could do. Especially immediately following Maggie. Sometimes you sacrifice the money for the quality.

Somebody isn't getting good advice."

Don't take this the wrong way...but that's just not true. At all.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Videos