pixeltracker

Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??

Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??

musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
#2re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/11/08 at 9:44pm

Woah, triple thread. It's from the 70s, what do you expect. I thoroughly enjoy the music.

heathurrr
#2re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/11/08 at 9:46pm

If you like Andrew Lloyd Webber's stuff go see it.
I'm not crazy about it, but I'm not wild about ALW's material. (save for Evita)

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#3re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/11/08 at 9:47pm

I actually like the musical. BUT it was just in Nashville and my dad, who LOVES it, was extremely disappointed in the guy playing Jesus...who has been playing Jesus practically since Jesus walked the earth. If someone else is playing Jesus by then and you can get reasonable tickets, I'd go. But only then.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

heathurrr
#5re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/11/08 at 9:55pm

change the title to 'please delete' and the mods will come clean up eventually.

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)
Updated On: 6/11/08 at 09:55 PM

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#6re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/11/08 at 9:57pm

"it seems kinda cheesy: Jesus Singing Rock Songs "

Are you aware of any musical theatre history???

It's not a SHOWBOAT or CABARET, but it's considered fairly progressive and important in the development of musical theatre.

I'm not a big fan of Webber but this really is a classic from the 70's. Get off your ass and go see it!

SporkGoddess
#7re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/11/08 at 9:57pm

JCS is amazing, though I wouldn't see this particular production. Go rent the movie with Ted Neely and Carl Anderson instead.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#8re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/11/08 at 9:58pm

wait. why are you asking about something that's coming in MARCH? Just curious..

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#9re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/11/08 at 10:17pm

Ted Neely. That's his name. STILL playing Jesus. And not doing a good job of it from all reports.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#10re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/11/08 at 10:21pm

I love the score and have enjoyed this music since I was a kid, but have never seen the show.

It came here (Louisville) two weeks ago and I bought tickets months in advance. I was a little disappointed, but as a long time fan I was very happy to finally see a production of the show, and seeing Ted was cool too of course.

Go see it.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#11re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/11/08 at 10:40pm

I would only see it if someone like Sebastian Bach came back or someone else who you wouldn't expect to see as Jesus! Otherwise, the film is the next to best thing.

For the record, did anyone see Sebastian as Jesus?

LoveSpiralsDownward Profile Photo
LoveSpiralsDownward
#12re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/11/08 at 11:30pm

I saw Sebastian.

I really don't have much to say except he gave me a headache. Thankfully Carl Anderson was playing Judas at that time; which in retrospect was a blessing considering it was the last time he would tour with anything ever again.

The only reason I'm going to see the new production (even though I've heard all the bad things) is to catch Ted in his iconic role.

Yes, I know I will have to get over he's about twice the age of the character he's playing, but for me it's more of a nostalgic "full circle" type of thing since I grew up with the movie and I've since seen Barry Dennen perform as Pilate and Carl Anderson's Judas.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#13re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/11/08 at 11:56pm

I kind of liked Sebastian as Jesus. No doubt was it interesting...well his singing is certainly "different" from what I remember! But I did think he was better in Jekyll & HYDE, considering he's not really a believeable Jesus at all, just because he's Sebastian Bach!

etoile
#14re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:10am

" wait. why are you asking about something that's coming in MARCH? Just curious.."

Because this sockpuppet will probably have walked away by then.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#15re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:11am

Ahh, touche!

wonderful answer etoile.

jessikax09 Profile Photo
jessikax09
#16re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:01am

I love the show.
I saw it in late april.
if its the national tour it's great! For ted neely being 64 he still sounds awesome... Judas (corey glover) was okay, but I've seen better and Mary (Tiffini Dodson) was wonderful.

I would recommend it highly.

-Don't let anyone tell you you can't reach the stars when there are footprints in the moon.- p.s. display picture was a dress rehersal...stop asking why the seats are empty please ;)

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#17re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/12/08 at 5:32am

Go see it. It's better to regret seeing a show than regret not seeing a show, right?

If it's still Ted Neeley (and why wouldn't it be? How many farewell tours has he done now?), find him at the stagedoor afterwards and see if he's got a God complex. I really want to know if being Jesus for over a quarter of a century has done anything to his mind. ^_^

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#18re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/12/08 at 8:29am

Yes it's worth seeing re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Acting is My LIFE
#19re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/12/08 at 8:31am

GO SEE IT.

Ted is actually STILL freekin amazing in it.
Some real stand out performers in it too.

Corey Glover, rockin it every night. Just so good.
Aaron Fuksa as Harrod, seriously one of the best things in the whole show. Hysterical. Great voice.

It's worth it. Go see it.

Acting is My LIFE
#20re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/12/08 at 8:31am

GO SEE IT.

Ted is actually STILL freekin amazing in it.
Some real stand out performers in it too.

Corey Glover, rockin it every night. Just so good.
Aaron Fuksa as Harrod, seriously one of the best things in the whole show. Hysterical. Great voice.

It's worth it. Go see it.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#21re: Jesus Christ Superstar Worth Seeing??
Posted: 6/12/08 at 10:40am

Much agreed. I've seen this particular production several times, and I must say that Ted actually gets better with each viewing. Maybe some people are severe critics, because the fact remains that his screams are the only thing that are still really really good, but he's in good shape for his age and gets through the show just fine. Aside from the crucifixion being a tad over-acted, he's fine.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

Videos