pixeltracker

this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of

this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of

buddharich
#1this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/20/08 at 8:49am

transfer to broadway this season?? If so, which show(s) and why??

Ed_Mottershead
#2re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/20/08 at 10:07am

Just my opinion, but I get the sense that most of the new OB shows are simply too "small" to sustain a run in a large house. Let's see how [title of show] does. Also, some of the more successful ones (e.g., Adding Machine) are very specialized sorts of shows. I'm not opposed to the idea, I just don't feel it's going to happen with the current crop.

BroadwayEd

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#2re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/20/08 at 10:13am

I agree with Ed_Mottershead. There are some great ones (Supposably, I don't see many) but many of them are small shows and would not do well with big audiences/theaters.

sgv123
#3re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/20/08 at 10:14am

i think that altar boyz could work. i would have loved to see next to normal transfer too.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#5re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/20/08 at 12:38pm

Altar Boyz would do well, but from what I hear the small theatre is better for it, and it's doing very well where it is.

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#6re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/20/08 at 1:34pm

I'm gonna say The Glorious Ones.

....but the world goes 'round

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#7re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/20/08 at 1:35pm

I thought SAVED! had a chance of transferring.

perfectliar
RentBoy86
#9re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/20/08 at 2:38pm

Next to Normal is at the Arena Stage in DC this coming Winter, so maybe after that? It's a wonderful show, and I'm sure the producers want it on Broadway, but only when its ready.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#10re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/20/08 at 2:41pm

Next to Normal.

And I would bet on it making its way to Broadway in the next few years...it's a good show with great potential.

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#11re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/20/08 at 2:46pm

Adding Machine has no chance of a successful Broadway run. If you thought "A Catered Affair" was to niche-y and didn't have enough memorable songs to make it on Broadway (not to mention too depressing), Adding Machine is 5 times worse in all regards).

(Note: I did not say it was a bad show.)

Next to Normal is definitely the one that has the best potential to transfer, being a large enough production with a good enough score to have a sustainable run.

You're right, though, [tos] will show a lot. A very small show in a theater that may be too big for such a small show. Let's see how it does.

A Grey Spring Profile Photo
A Grey Spring
#12re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/20/08 at 3:44pm

Next to Normal, fantastic production that I'd love to see again.

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#13re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/20/08 at 3:49pm

Just from the recording, I'd say ADDING MACHINE was worthy, but I'm not sure it would work. I can't wait to hear The Glorious Ones, it seems like it would be right up my alley.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

bwaybabe2
#14re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/23/08 at 3:22am

If repertory theater qualifies enough as "off bway", then difinitely "A Tale of Two Cities"--IMHO, no other productions can compete with the total package of this one.
Updated On: 6/23/08 at 03:22 AM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#15re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/23/08 at 3:37am

Repertory theatre isn't the same as off Broadway. As for the current off Broadway crop. I don't think that there is much out there other then Next To Normal that looks like they could work on Broadway. As for the rest of the shows like Saved (Which I loved) or Adding Machine etc. I think that those that were limited runs have a chance doing something like either extending or being tweaked around a bit and getting another run in another off broadway theatre. I know that Saved was a limited run. Which I could see being tweaked around and being done in a different theatre. And I haven't seen adding machine but I know that is a limited run as well.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#16re: this past season were there any off-broadway musicals worthy of
Posted: 6/23/08 at 4:15am

The Blue Flower

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall