Cry-Baby CD

moulin724rouge Profile Photo
moulin724rouge
#1Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 8:24pm

Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I can't find the thread....

the CD isn't going to be released? Where is the proof of this?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 8:25pm

It is NOT going to be released, per the cast.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#2re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 8:26pm

no proof they might pull a High Fidelity

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#3re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 8:27pm

You can always assume a cast recording is NOT going to be released until there is a press release announcing the fact that it is in fact going to be released.

There has been no such press release, and the cast has said at the stage door that there will be no cast recording.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#4re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 8:35pm

Too bad. The number they performed at the Tonys really made me want to see the show, and since I don't live anywhere near NY I was really hoping for a cast recording.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#5re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 8:37pm

Most of the good songs are up in some form or other on Youtube and the opening number is up on Cry Baby's Myspace page.

And it IS a shame that the CD won't be released, but we can cross our fingers for one when the tour premiers in '09.

DeadParrot2 Profile Photo
DeadParrot2
#6re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 8:53pm

Saying it won't be released sort of implies that it has been recorded. Is this true, or when people say it won't be released, they actually mean it won't be recorded.

It would be a real shame to have gone to the trouble of recording a CD and then not releasing it for whatever reason.

Ironic that practically every musical that opened on Broadway this year had a CD released, and yet the Tony voters opted to nominate the one show that didn't.

Those of us who collect CDs of Tony nominated musicals would have happily bought YF, LM or ACA had it received a nomination, but we held back waiting for CB because we only want the best. That's twenty less dollars to spend, and an annoying hole in the CD collection.

Robert Taylor
#7re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 9:11pm

It's been recorded, per the cast at the stage door.

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#8re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 9:13pm

I was hoping it would come out so I could get the last number on I-tunes. I really liked that song...

theatre2
#9re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 9:14pm

i hope they put it out as soon as they can

#10re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 9:21pm

I've heard it and it's excellent. It's really a shame if it doesn't get released.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#11re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 10:11pm

it's already been recorded, DeadParrot.

pli1018
#12re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/22/08 at 10:34pm

Did you ACTUALLY hear the recording? How were you able to do that? Lucky you!
Updated On: 6/22/08 at 10:34 PM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#13re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/23/08 at 12:06am

NO, a "cast album" has not been recorded. One label expressed interest but it involved the producers putting up 1/2 the capital. Nothing was signed. The cast *may* have been referring to the demo (about half the songs on there are not in the show) but no oficial cast album was made.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

bk
#14re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/23/08 at 1:37am

Why do people come on and say that a cast album has been recorded when it clearly hasn't? And no label would have put up half the dough - the producers would have had to put it all up, as most producers do these days - not like the old days when there were actually bidding wars and advances over certain albums. To record Cry Baby would cost in the neighborhood of $250,000 on the very low end, which means if a label was willing to put up half they'd be risking $125,000, and in this market even recording a hit show is no guarantee that a CD will make its money back, let alone a musical that flopped.

If the producers of High Fidelity hadn't paid for their recording, it wouldn't have happened. And I think you'd be rather surprised to know how many its sold, and not surprised in a good way - it's money they will never see again, unless the recording helps get them a great stock and amateur deal or a tour or something like that. They're certainly not going to make it back from the CD sales.

crushgroove
#15re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/23/08 at 4:42am

High Fidelity only ran for what?...a week. Cry-Baby had to have made back a little more money than High Fidelity...considering it's run for 2+ months... So why not release it?

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#16re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/23/08 at 8:45am

Like Catered Affair, I don't care if I ever hear this score again, which is rather unfortunate-being a collector. When I went to a preview, I had a scary feeling when I saw Thomas Meehan at the bar beforehand, looking extremely concerned. He was the exact opposite of the final Hairspray preview! For those who HAVE to have the Cry Baby score....just tape one of the bootlegs that seem to be floating around everywhere, but then you'd have to put up with the applause on an unpolished recording.

pli1018
#17re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/23/08 at 10:32am

I think people have been posting about there being a recording because there is photo proof that SOME sort of recording was made, whether it be an album or for promotional purposes it's not clear.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#18re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/23/08 at 3:05pm

i'm with once a month on this one. i am an avid cast recording collecter and could care less if i never hear this score again. it was wretched to get through the first time around, i don't need these no-note leads in my ears for me to hear loud & "clear".

i will disagree with him on A Catered Affair, though. i actually have been listening to that cast recording quite a bit after seeing the show. i don't think it's fair to put it in the same group as such crap like Cry-Baby.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#19re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/23/08 at 3:15pm

i just want a copy of screw loose...

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

frontrowcentre2
#20re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/23/08 at 5:14pm

High Fidelity only ran for what?...a week. Cry-Baby had to have made back a little more money than High Fidelity...considering it's run for 2+ months... So why not release it?

Well as BK stated, the producers of HIGH FIDELITY put up the cash so they would have the recording to encourage stock and regional productions. (I haven’t seen or heard of any.)

As for CRY BABY no cast album has been recorded so there is nothing to release. There is a 22-track demo, which sounds like a full cast album but only half of the songs on there made the final show.

The next question (I knew you were gonna ask) is why not release the demo. Because, to do that the cast and music rights would have to be paid, there are manufacturing costs, royalties to use graphics and pictures of the production etc. In short it's a lot of money for something that would sell maybe 1,000 copies if we were lucky.

Maybe if they charged $250 a copy but I suspect few would pay that much. Hell, there are many who balk at paying $15-20 for a CD choosing instead to get free downloads. That doesn't help pay for the recordings.

There are 462 musicals that have opened on Broadway that have made and released a cast album.

How many of those do YOU have?

Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

theatre2
#21re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/23/08 at 5:30pm

i have over 900 cast cd's of broadway ,off broadway off off broadway and london, and studio cast cd's and show that have never been on broadway. it would be nice to hace cast cd of crybaby because it is the only show that did not make a cast cd a full cast cd. i am not counting glorys days because it only had 1 pef. so come one cry baby get a cast cd made today.

frontrowcentre2
#22re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/23/08 at 5:33pm

Ok Bryan, you really DO collect everything but going back there are dozens of un-recorded musicals. I'm afraid thsi is just another one.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#23re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/23/08 at 5:39pm

"i just want a copy of screw loose..."

Same.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Robert Taylor
#24re: Cry-Baby CD
Posted: 6/23/08 at 5:43pm

"Screw Loose" was definitely my favorite too, but there were some other good songs, like "Nothing Bad's Ever Gonna Happen Again," "All in my Head" and "Misery, Agony, Helplessness, Hopelessness and Woe," that I would like to add to my library.

Videos