pixeltracker

I don't get why when Patti sings, she- Page 2

I don't get why when Patti sings, she

BkCollector
#25re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:11pm

I work with a lot of people who have come out of Westminster and they are the opposite extreme of Lupone, all control, no expressiveness. But at least I prefer it to the caterwauling that she does.

Bottom line: PEOPLE LIKE HER (I dont know why) BUT SHE SINGS POORLY, or rather with VISIBLY BAD TECHNIQUE.

Why do bad guys get to be president?
Why do idiots end up running countries?
Why do people with HORRIBLE vocal technique become stars?

Don't ask me.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#26re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:13pm

BkCollector, you're incredible.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:13pm

Incredibly idiotic.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#28re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:15pm

BkCollector, you're incredible.

Incredibly idiotic.

And Fenchurch to boot.

BkCollector
#29re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:16pm

LJ, you can say whatever you want, and call people names, but no amount of belly aching is going to make her into a GOOD singer.

people like her, you like her, but there is no vocal professional in this entire world who would be able to call her a COMPETENT SINGER WITH GOOD TECHNIQUE with impunity.

It's simply not true, and it's as plain as snarl on her face.

jrb
#30re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:17pm

Shoot...I'd pay to see LuPone any day. Listening to her is incredible AND she sells her crazy vowels and wild jaw with such conviction that you want more.

I remember the first time I heard Jennifer Holiday sing "And I am telling you". It was on the leading ladies DVD a bunch of years back. I was so thrown off by her vocal choices. That woman can sing a single vowel yet somehow manage to explore about 13 others, end the whole thing on a loud, "HA!" all while bending backward and still sound and look amazing while she's doing it! It just doesn't matter.

It's the whole X-factor thing. Ultimately the individual pieces of the puzzle don't matter - it's the dramatic whole that sells us.

BkCollector
#31re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:18pm

X-factor is bull****. Don't make it "MAGIC"
people like her, whether that's by design (media, marketing, people afraid to say she's bad because "everyone else" loves her.

That can all be made to happen, X-Factor is a fallacy.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#32re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:19pm

It doesn't matter whether she's a "good singer," a "great singer" or a "competent singer."

She's a great big STAR. Bigger than any Broadway star we'll probably see in our lifetimes.

And nothing you say means anything.

BkCollector
#33re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:21pm

Beji waas a "star"
Lassie was a "star"
Rin Tin Tin was a "star"

They're all dead now? but what do they have in common with Lupone?

They're all bitches who were made to look more talented by the people around them :)

jrb
#34re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:22pm

Well, BK, now we're getting into Semantics. X-factor is my canned and pop-culture way of avoiding having to define the individual marketing tools that have pushed patti to the top.

I dare say however, that it wasn't marketing that landed her Evita. It was her...brash and crazy. Brash and crazy has gotten a lot of folks pretty damn far.

(fixed for incorrect word) Updated On: 7/2/08 at 02:22 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#35re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:22pm

Well it didn't take long for some jerk-off to ruin this thread.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#36re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:24pm

JRB.... I think you hit it on the head when you say that we are an instrument. We are a vocal instrument... I do not know why people are bashing you....

Totally Effed is just that....

Or maybe he is jealous....

or maybe he is bernadette peters and trying to bash patti for actually getting the tony for gyspsy.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#37re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:25pm

TotallyEffed is a big Patti fan. Have you seen his videos?

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#38re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:25pm

"They're all bitches who were made to look more talented by the people around them"

Ah yes, but looking MORE talented when in the presence of others with talent does not diminish the individual's innate personal talent.

Look, "some people got it and make it pay - some people can't even give it away."

LuPone's def. got it!

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

BkCollector
#39re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:26pm

All sound is vibration, but comparing cello strings to the human voice isn't the best analogy in the world. with a string, you vibrate it and the air around it vibrates, with singing, you're pushing to air past chords, Slightly different phenomena.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#40re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:30pm

No one should be listening to comments about talent, vocal technique, or presence from some dipsh*t Asian who wishes they were a black hip-hop artist.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#41re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:32pm

I never cease to be astonished at the ugly (not to mention idiotic) bile that spews out of some people whenever LuPone's name is mentioned.

I love the idea of "marketing" making LuPone a star. Can you imagine the pitch that happened on Madison Avenue back in '79?

"Say, fellas, how does this sound? We take a tiny woman from Long Island with average looks and rotten technique, and we foist her on an unsuspecting public. This'll be bigger than that moon landing we got all the headlines about!"

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#42re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:32pm

and remember who amoung us has TWO TWO TWO TONY AWARDS?
not me...

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

jrb
#43re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:33pm

Yes...you are correct. Perhaps I shouldn't have used a cello.
I just wanted to make it clear that the voice is an instrument and that the vibration of the chords creates the pitch, not the virbato. Vibrations in the larynx cause that. Your cricothyroid and arytenoid muslces don't shake up and down. All they do is adjust the length of the fold. There aren't any muscles attached to the folds that have the physical ability to create virbato.

I think another mistake of mine might have been using the word, "Manufactured" because it implied that virbato is a bad thing. That wasn't my intention.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#44re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:33pm

No one should be listening to comments about talent, vocal technique, or presence from some dipsh*t Asian who wishes they were a black hip-hop artist.

- Huh?? Now I'm lost.

Mekroth
#45re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:40pm

Yeah, jrb is right on.

effed and bkc are fools.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#46re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:43pm

Ugh. Don't ask ljay, don't ask.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#47re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 2:48pm

Do tell.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#48re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 3:04pm

I am afraid to ask.

Just remember....

Someone is on your side. Someone else is not....

Opinions about LuPone are like assholes... Everyone's got them and some of them stink.

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#49re: I don't get why when Patti sings, she
Posted: 7/2/08 at 4:30pm

I just wish I could sing with vibrato... 'manufactured' or not.
=)