#1Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 5:37pm

Okay, so we have:

West Side Story - Romeo & Juliet
Kiss Me, Kate - Taming Of The Shrew
Boys From Syracuse - Comedy Of Errors

There has to be more, right?

Yankeefan007
#2re: Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 5:37pm

Two Gentlemen of Verona

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#2re: Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 5:41pm

The Big Life (at the Apollo in London a coupe of years ago) was loosely based on Love's Labour's Lost

The Lion King has elements of Hamlet

Return to the Forbidden Planet is based on The Tempest

Timmer
#3re: Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 5:43pm

"Your Own Thing"

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#4re: Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 5:58pm

Play On! = Twelfth Night

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#5re: Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 6:00pm

Oh, Brother!- The Comedy of Errors.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#6re: Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 6:07pm

Remember a couple years back "Lone Star Love -- or The Merry Wives of Windsor, Texas"?

I remember in the Lyndon Johnson days there was a show called MacBird, based on Macbeth, but I honestly don't recall if it was a musical or not.

And "Fools in Love" was a real dud of a rock musical based on Midsummer Night's Dream.
Updated On: 7/13/08 at 06:07 PM

nasty_khakis
#7re: Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 6:11pm

"All Shook Up" is loosely a mix of a few Shakespearian plays, mostly Twelfth Night."

Miss Elphaba Profile Photo
Miss Elphaba
#8re: Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 6:43pm

Bare- strong elements of Romeo and Juliet

"I trained as a classical actor at Juilliard. I jump at the opportunity to do classical text...But I never in a million years guessed I'd get to play Juliet!"- Michael Arden

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#9re: Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 8:19pm

"MUSIC IS" - which I worked at in the 70s? A George Abbot BOMB!

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#10re: Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 9:28pm

ROCKABYE HAMLET

This rock musical based in HAMLET was created for CBC Radio in the mid 1970s, under the title KRONBERG: 1582. It played two summers at the Charlottetown Festival and had a tour across Canada.

Then, a group of New York producers bought the rights, hired Gower Champion to stage it and brought it to Broadway where it folded after 7 performances. An Lp of the score was released but it mainly used studio singers and only one member of the Broadway cast appears on the record.

NOW -32 years later - it being revived in Toronto for 3 performances under a new title SOMETHING'S ROCKING IN DENMARK.

If you are curious, I'll be featuring selections from the LP next Sunday morning on my radio show.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#11re: Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 10:54pm

Shill alert!

That said, I found Cliff Jones' site for Rockabye Hamlet, and he seems to paint much the same picture.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

commasplice
#12re: Musicals based on Shakespeare plays.
Posted: 7/13/08 at 11:02pm

Don't worry, this isn't "ZOMG USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION N00B," I just had this thread bookmarked, so I thought I'd contribute that (it looks like a lot of it's repeated here anyway):

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=947494
Updated On: 7/13/08 at 11:02 PM

Videos