pixeltracker

Hair @ Delacorte - Question- Page 3

Hair @ Delacorte - Question

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#50re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 7/31/08 at 2:44am

Thanks for the info, Scott Briefer. I knew The Delacorte had a large seating capacity.

What did you do from 5:30am to 1pm? Did you bring a sleeping bag?

Scott Briefer
#51re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 7/31/08 at 3:20am

My partner and I prepared well for the adventure. (I am an old timer when it comes to Shakespeare in the Park). Yes, I brought a sleeping bag, but not for sleeping. The waterproof side was placed on the ground and the softer lining acted as a very comfortable blanket. I also packed a wonderful picnic, but I have to confess that ants took over a sandwich that was saved for later in the afternoon. I also brought pretzels and chips and cookies. (There is also a deli and pizza parlor that delivers.)

Most people who join the line do so knowing that the time is better spent being open to your neighbors and sharing the day. Today was simply gorgeous.

But, the bottom line is the production itself. This Hair is brilliant. It is not a recreation and it's not trying to be. It is an honest look at a show that is dated yet still relevant. This Hair has life.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#52re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 7/31/08 at 9:18am

Scott -- thanks for the additional insight.

Really: you got there at 5am and were at the front of the line??? I've heard such horror stories!!

I'm truly looking forward to seeing this next week....weather co=operating and all.

Does anyone have any thoughts on ticket waiting in the rain? Is it safe to assume you could show up MUCH later and still get tix?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#53re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 7/31/08 at 10:56am

Dramamama , last sunday it rained pretty much all day. I awoke at 6 AM ready to head to the park but it was pouring. Around 6 PM I had noticed it cleared and figured I would give the cancellation line a chance. Nothing ventured.... As it turned out there were probably 125 people in line. They gave out the cancellation tickets and we all pretty much got in. They don't start handing out the tickets till moments before 8PM.
In the cancellation line however it is 1 ticket per person. You cannot ho;ld people's places in line and they do not guarantee that if you are with people that your seats will be together.
This was still for previews. I am sure the line will get worse once it officially opens.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

germ83
#54re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 7/31/08 at 11:22am

so...to prove that it is totally random and a true lottery of just picking names out of a hat (similar to Wicked I guess) I signed up for virtual tickets last Sunday at 11:50 am and checked back at 1:15 pm to find out that I received 2 tickets.

I was astonished, I had only tried on saturday to no avail, and then Sunday received the tickets on the second try.

So...It does not hurt to try, it is free and just takes a few clicks of the mouse and internet service. The seats we got were in the very center about 7 rows from the back...but they were amazing seats. You could see every expression on their faces.

It was a wonderful performance, and for all who get the opportunity, do NOT pass it up.

(I think we had a little more luck last sunday...because they were calling for rain?)
It proved to be a wonderful night with great weather, a cool breeze and beautiful clouds that had a very weird swirl pattern that was almost psychedelic in and of itself.

best of luck to all

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#55re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 7/31/08 at 12:26pm

Hasn't anyone thought of the idea of just going to the Delacorte itself very early and staying there, telling anyone who asks that they're enjoying the day or something? I never got the impression that it was closed to anyone, I mean Jon Larson even actually described going there (to think, I believe) in "tick...tick...BOOM!" The only real hitch I could think of would be if the same cop shows up and decides you're loitering.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

Scott Briefer
#56re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 7/31/08 at 1:28pm

I truly don't think getting to Central Park before 6a is an issue. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for being in Central Park in the wee hours unless they were caught doing something illegal. Go early in the morning and set up camp at the front of the line and you'll be fine. Or, go later and accept a less than perfect seat. But, go! Hair rocks!

hubee Profile Photo
hubee
#57re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/1/08 at 3:10am

I set up camp a bit too early at 430am but to be honest, the time flew by faster than I imagined. Still, I would say getting there around 7-9am is still pretty safe (for now) and in fact, you can probably still be safe by around 10-12. But I think it will get exponentially harder during the run as word of mouth gets out.

We ended up doing the cancellation line 2 days later (because the production is THAT AMAZING) and got great seats right before the show (we got there around 6:20pm) that were near the original seats we got the first time (5th row centre).

Either way, I didn't regret lining up early even though I knew I could get the tickets more easily two days later!

http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

mesmerized24601 Profile Photo
mesmerized24601
#58re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/1/08 at 6:55pm

Okay, please don't kill me for this question, because I plan to try to get tickets either way, but I heard a rumor that Jon Groff will not be in the last two weeks of the show, due to other comittments, does anyone know if that has been confirmed or not I am just curious?

...and still you hold on, to every old song... - Adam Pascal

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#59re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:31pm

If that is true, I want to see it then!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#60re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:03pm

I really dont care about Groff~I just wanna see the production.Who will be replacing him around 8/23, 8/30?

BTW- How hard to get tickets on Saturdays? Cancellation lines? I will try the virtual line for the next 4 Saturdays..

J*

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#61re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:07pm

Is camera allowed inside the Delacorte theater ? of course NOT during the show!

BTW- I called the box-office and got this info... for VIRTUAL LINES;

1. Sign in the morning to the virtaul line
2. Check up the website at 1 pm to check if you won the FREE tickets (its 2 btw)
3. IF YOU HAPPEN TO WIN the LOTTERY -Go to Delacorte Theater from 4 to 730 to pick up tickets..

J*

Updated On: 8/1/08 at 10:07 PM

goldswann Profile Photo
goldswann
#62re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:27pm

Saw the show last night and sat across the aisle from Christopher J. Hanke (Cry-Baby). He spent the entire night watching the show while looking over the script (cover page said "Hair") with a little flashlight. Every once in awhile I would sneak a look at him and he would be making little notes in the script or singing along with the show.

Not sure what that's all about but it was fun to see (except for the annoying glare from that little flashlight)!

P.S. - We also saw Martha Plimpton in the audience.
Updated On: 8/1/08 at 10:27 PM

Yankeefan007
#63re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:32pm

He was there when I saw it, as well.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#64re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:32pm

Jay, it is all depending on the weather. If it is cloudy or if it was raining in the morning you have a really great chance. If you don't wait in the morning try the cancellation line. Be there early, like 5:30-6 PM. They hand out the tickets about 5 minutes before 8.
There is a deli that delivers to the line. Order a grilled cheese then chase down the bicycle delivery guy. Everyone in the line is eager to chat to pass the time. It is really a wonderful social event! The two hours waiting in line went really fast swapping theatre stories with tourists from Toronto or a dowager from the west Side!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#65re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/1/08 at 10:46pm

Thanks guys!

I am on standby every Saturday 8/2, 8/9, 8/16, 8/23 and 8/30.. I will try to register every morning & check by 1pm.. If I get lucky..We will drive to NYC by 2pm and we will be there by 6pm...I just called my sister and she told me that we can stay with her (she lives in Queens) whenever-it depends- if we have energy-we will drive back!

If I dont get FREE tickets by 8/16- i will just pay the donations. The lady at the box office told me that MOST LIKELY.. I can get tickets that Saturday (If I made a donations)

Oh trust me, I am a very talkative and a friendly guy... I can always open a conversation with anyone? I am very good at that! re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question

btw - Is t-shirts or tank top (if 90 degrees) and shorts.. an appropriate attire since its in the park?

J*

Updated On: 8/1/08 at 10:46 PM

ILuv2shop531
#66re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/1/08 at 11:02pm

so does this mean christopher is taking over for jonathan last 2 weeks?

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#67re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/1/08 at 11:53pm

This morning we got in line at 8am and had no problem getting tickets. I didn't really stick around to confirm, but I believe many people behind us were able to get tickets as well. We weren't all that far back. People can camp out if they like--it's an experience--but reports that you need to get there at 6 (and you're done for if you get there by 7) on a weekday morning appear to be exaggerated.

Thoughts on the show: I listen to the OBCR religiously and was desperate to see a production of Hair that would ring true to me...naturally I went into the show with some concerns that this production could pull it off, based on everything I've read about it being too "clean".

Folks, I fell for it head over heels--they had me from the first beat of "Aquarius", when it was clear that the entire audience was engaged and ready to have a good time. Set the perfect tone--undercurrents both humorous and ominous were brought out in just the right places, undercurrents you can't experience by listening to the recording or reading the detailed liner notes. Loved the entire cast--and no, though I braced myself, I didn't have a single problem with Jonathan Groff. Yes, it's a "cute" group of hippies, but that cuteness--I'd call it innocence--is tempered brilliantly when the show gets into darker territory.

It would be pointless to go into everything I enjoyed about this production--let's just say I walked out of the Delacorte thinking "it worked." A terrific production that spoke to me, and that I won't soon forget.

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)
Updated On: 8/1/08 at 11:53 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#68re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/2/08 at 12:41am

I have also heard Groff will be out the last two weeks -- which I believe was the initial extention--I've been told he's on a movie shoot...but I have no info on the movie other than SA castmate Skylar Astin is also in it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Scott Briefer
#69re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/2/08 at 1:11am

I am pleased to read that someone else enjoyed Hair without the need to single out Mr. Groff. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think the cast - including Mr. Groff - is just brilliant. I love this production of Hair.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#70re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/2/08 at 8:40am

Just sign in this morning at the Virtual line... wish me luck guys!!!

J*

Yankeefan007
#71re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/2/08 at 10:53am

Good luck, Jay!!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#72re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/2/08 at 1:14pm

I did not get it! re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question

So I am staying in Boston this weekend.I will try next Saturday again!

J*

re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question Updated On: 8/2/08 at 01:14 PM

crushgroove
#73re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/2/08 at 2:29pm

It's okay Jay...it's a soggy Saturday anyhow here in NYC....a clear peaceful night is a much better setting to see this show. I saw it on Tuesday and it was amazing.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#74re: Hair @ Delacorte - Question
Posted: 8/2/08 at 2:59pm

Ah it looks like tonight might have been a great night for stand by! The sun has come out and everything seems to be drying. Who knows? It the weather holds up I might go up there again.