Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:26pm

While I'm glad a musical movie is getting this much press, I really wish they'd cool things down a bit. I mean, I adore the show, and even I'm finding this a bit much. I watched a tv show last night and there were 3 Mamma Mia! adverts during one commerical break! And, during the show, the Mamma Mia banner kept coming up! Do they really think they can beat Batman? Not gonna happen. And it seems they are trying to get audiences that just won't come, no matter how great the film is. They keep us in the dark for so long and now, only a few days before the release, I feel like I've seen at least half of the film already.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:28pm

It's MAMMA MIA week on Lifetime. Lifetime is MAMMA MIA's target audience, middle aged women and gay men.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:31pm

Yes, but does the target audience need to have the film spoiled for them by having a "Mamma Mia! week". The stuff I saw last night was on ABC.

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#3re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:34pm

So what if it doesn't beat TDK. It will still be a better, lighthearted movie than TDK in every way.

And I have been anxiously waiting for TDK for awhile.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

ExceedinglyPeculiar2 Profile Photo
ExceedinglyPeculiar2
#4re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:38pm

I'll probably be the only one seeing Mamma Mia before The Dark Knight

"My understanding is that he is leaving show business to pursue a career as a thermometer." -- David Mamet on Jeremy Piven's early departure from the cast of Broadway's 'Speed-the-Plow'

broadwayboy101
#5re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:38pm

In the past few days, I haven't seen a single Dark Knight trailer, and have seen at LEAST 20 Mamma Mia ones. It's getting a bit annoying, I agree (especially since it's usually the same exact one).

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#6re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:39pm

Oh my GOSH, if I hear that song one more time I'm going to put a foot through the TV screen.

Sorry, but like BB, I'm getting really, really sick of the constant commercials. At first I thought the film looked kind of cute, in an odd way, and Amanda Seyfreid (sp?) looked adorable. Now I think it's annoying and she's starting to look like a bug-eyed lunatic. Apologies to her fans -- it's not really her fault! The thing (the film, I mean, not the actress!) has just been majorly overexposed.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#7re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:39pm

I'm excited for both, but I've actually seen less of The Dark Knight at this point than Mamma Mia!. At least TDK is trying to keep Heath Ledger's performance a bit of a mystery. Mamma Mia! could easily have teased us about Meryl, but I've seen all of her big numbers. I just took Entertainment Tonight off my Tivo for that reason. I really worked hard to avoid Sweeney and Hairspray stuff, especially on here, and am glad I did. I enjoyed the films much more than I would have if I watched all the clips pushed at us. On MTV the other day, they showed nearly all of "Lay All Your Love on Me". Logo had a huge Mamma Mia special that I didn't watch, but was told, spoiled huge parts of the film.

I just tend to enjoy things better when I know very little going in...

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#8re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:43pm

I"ll be seeing Mamma Mia before TDk too.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:45pm

Me too, but to be fair, I'm seeing Mamma Mia at 1pm and Dark Knight at 4pm. And that will probably be my last trip to the movies before Doubt...

Rose_Lee
#10re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:45pm

Me too! I'll be talking in the car, the ad (for the show) will come on the radio, and I'll start banging my head against the wheel. Then the commercials for the movie are EVERYWHERE. I'm sick of Mama Mia in general, just because it's following me around everywhere I go.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#11re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:51pm

Well, with all due respect, I don't think the advertising push is for people who post on this board.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#12re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 2:55pm

I'm just sick of seeing the poster everywhere. What is wrong with that girl's back????

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

broadwayjim42
#13re: Mamma Mia's Advertising Push...
Posted: 7/16/08 at 3:04pm

It is a bit on the overkill side, but the movie sells itself to the intended audience.

The soundtrack sold 48,000 copies last week, entering Billboard's Top 200 at #7 and Soundtracks I'm sure at #1, and if everyone who bought a copy sees the movie over the weekend, it will make a healthy $40 million plus. Unlikely, but I think it will do a solid $25-30 million if the reviews don't have an effect. They started out positive, but as more are coming in, it's a pretty even split between good and bad.

Videos