pixeltracker

How is the current cast of WICKED?

How is the current cast of WICKED?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 12:17pm

Ok, so I hardly ever post about WICKED anymore (I've learned my lesson) and of course I wish my BWW name was different so people would take me a little more seriously and I by those standards, I think I'm entitled to my one WICKED related post a year basically. :) I am going back to see the show tomorrow night and was wondering how the current cast is.

Any feedback would be great (PS: I searched for something along this lines and didn't really find the feedback I was looking for.)
Updated On: 7/29/08 at 12:17 PM

newyorkrbust
#2re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:05pm

I haven't seen the new Elphaba, but everyone else is amazing. I love the girl who plays Galinda.

It really said US Navy, but hey, I worked with what they gave me ok.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#2re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:12pm

I'm sure Mr. Tveit, as Fieyero, is FABULOUS (I was stuck with the understudy, Jerad Bortz, who basically sucked)

Cristy Candler, as Nessarose, was fine. Nothing special. Not a very strong voice but she's not vital to the show anyway.

Ben Liebert, as Boq, did a nice job. It's his Broadway Debut and you that's pretty evident... very fresh talent.

Really enjoyed Jayne Houdyshell, as Madame Morrible. She fits into the character very nice. Not much of a singer though.

Lenny Wolpe, as the Wizard, was much better than I expected! He was an extremely charming Wizard (he's on the Older side) and had a lovely voice.

Kendra Kassenbaum as Glinda. LOVE her voice. That girl can sing the Glinda part almost as well as Cheno. Others might disagree but that's my thought. Her acting is fine... but her Glinda character was a little too over-the-top/comical for me. She really tried to play for the laughs.

Kerry Ellis as Elphaba was decent. She did well with all of the music (and did a fine job with the end of "Defying") but she just reminded me of Idina... way too much. Others disagree but after seeing Idina's original Elphaba and Kerry, they are just so similar. It's scary.

Overall - the cast is pretty good. No huge names but some quality talent. For someone who isn't a fan of the show, I enjoyed myself (for the most part). I didn't get to see Aaron so please let me know how he is. re: How is the current cast of WICKED?

Updated On: 7/29/08 at 01:12 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#3re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:15pm

"I didn't get to see Aaron so please let me know how he is."

He's your bestest buddy! Have him get tickets for you.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

millie_dillmount
#4re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:16pm

rOcKS: PJ Benjamin is joining the Broadway company tonight. I saw him on tour and thought he did fairly well.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#5re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:17pm

Kendra Kassenbaum is phenomenal, and the rest of the cast is quite good too.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#6re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:20pm

millie. it was a 2 show day and he was extremely fatigued.

so shut the **** up and get a life.

I expect Bobby and JoeKevvy to base their jokes off of some miscommunication that occured over a MONTH ago (because they aren't creative enough to come up with original stuff) but you need to just move on.

If that's the only way you can be funny (and it's really not that funny), you need to grow up.

when does the school year start for you kids?

millie_dillmount
#7re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:30pm

"millie. it was a 2 show day and he was extremely fatigued."

Okay...? So go back.

"I expect Bobby and JoeKevvy to base their jokes off of some miscommunication that occured over a MONTH ago..."

Miscommunication? There was never a miscommunication. You started a flat-out rumor. Luckily we had Marc Shaiman stop it. Talk about needing to grow up and getting a life.

#8re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:30pm

So your close personal friend WAS OUT the day you went to see the show? I don't need any new material, this stuff writes itself! C'mon change your user name and come up with a new unbelievable identity already.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#9re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:34pm

I could, JoeKevvy.

But that's what obnoxious sock puppets do.

I am not... thank god.

I know who I am and that is what's important. I could give two ****s if you and your little old cat there think otherwise.

Go get a partner. Get a family. Something to keep you busy.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#10re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:35pm

Oh and btw Stephen Sondheim's partner has NO idea who you are.
And they were indeed out of the country during the Tony's.

....but the world goes 'round

#11re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:40pm

Taz it almost seems like everything he's posted was a lie! But how!? How could that be?

Thank you so much for your concern for my welfare. I have been thinking about taking up a hobby. Maybe you could teach me how to LuPwn? No, that seems like something only a bitter delusional queen could enjoy.

it'sjustshowbiz Profile Photo
it'sjustshowbiz
#12re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 1:44pm

Just saw it the other day. I don't know if Kerry was sick or what, but I didn't care for her voice. Aaron's Fiyero was not carefree or likable. Kendra as Glinda was the best I've seen her.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#13re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 2:09pm

The current cast is terrific!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Angel of Music2 Profile Photo
Angel of Music2
#14re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 5:02pm

I love Kerry Ellis!! My friend in the uk showed me her recording of DG on her CD titled Wicked in Rock. It's really amazing. I listen to it over and over again.

Have fun tomorrow!

I kinda want leg warmers and rollerskates now.

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#15re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 5:08pm

my friend saw the show saturday mat, and said it was the worst (out of 3 times he's seen it) he's ever sat through....kerry and kendra were both tired, in fact, julie and katie went on that night...

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

StuckToTheStage Profile Photo
StuckToTheStage
#16re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 5:55pm

JoeKv99, that's a good one. I've found my new signature :)

"Maybe you could teach me how to LuPwn? No, that seems like something only a bitter delusional queen could enjoy." -JoeKv99 on the remarks of TooDarnHot

brandontwin2 Profile Photo
brandontwin2
#17re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 6:38pm

Kerry Ellis is pretty good but Kendra Kassebaum is horrible. Her acting is decent but her singing is not up to par. She is an alto and you can tell on some of the higher notes.

theater junkie
#18re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 6:51pm

I saw the matinee Sunday and Katie and Julie were on. This is the fourth time I saw it and was definitely the worst. But then again the worst wicked in my opinion is better than most things on broadway. I thought Julie was good, especially during act 2. Katie was the worse Glinda I saw. Her singing was ok, but I thought she overacted and didn't have comedic timing. Aaron was the best Fyero I have seen. His voice his excellent and he definitely fit the part. Lenny Wolpe(sp) I thought was great as the wizard. Did not care for Jayne Houdishell as Madame Horrible, love Carole Shelly. Logan as Boq was probably the best I've seen in that role. Christy was ok, but again nothing special. I was looking forward to seeing Kendra and Kerry but got to love understudies. This is probably the time the crowd seemed less into it than ever. No one really yelled during defying gravity like I have seen before. The ensemble and supporting roles still seemed in great shape though. I still think the best elphaba is Eden Espinosa and the best Glinda is Kate Reinders, that I have seen, of course I didn't see the originals.
ALso saw Legally blonde and that show seems to be in the best shape of any other in broadway, the energy that was on the stage and translated to the audience was phenomenal. The stage door was so energetic too, the MTV show pulled in more interest than most big name stars do, good for the show.

DefyGravity777
#19re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 6:53pm

This current cast is AMAZING IMO. I have seen both Kerry and Julie twice and Chelsea once. They are all great and have very good chemistry with the cast. I'm going to see the matinee tomorrow. I'm curious to see PJ since I only ever saw Lenny in all the times I have seen the show which is alot...lol.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

WiCkEDrOcKS
#20re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 8:56pm

Is Ellis speaking with an accent in the show?

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#21re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 9:08pm

The previous cast was exceptional, I thought. Stephanie and Annaleigh, especially, are my favorite Elphaba/Glinda pair. I am not the biggest fan of Kerry or Kendra, so I probably won't go back anytime soon because I'm worried about being too disappointed. I will eventually, maybe in a few months, but nothing can top the last Wicked performance I saw (Annaleigh's last).

WiCkEDrOcKS
#22re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 9:12pm

I thought Stephanie was great but I hated Annaleigh.

It was so weird because the second time I saw LEGALLY BLONDE, she stole the show. She was hiliarious and I thought she'd be a great idea for Glinda and then I saw her in the role and she was terrible. Maybe she grew in the role? I just thought she was forced, unfunny, and playing it really one-note. Stephanie was strong, though.

I love Kendra...I hope she lives up to my expectations. And I like the clips I've seen of Kerry so I hope she's good...obviously

Ivan2 Profile Photo
Ivan2
#23re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 9:16pm

Meh, a little bit. You can hear her accent coming out sometimes but for the most part you can't really tell. After seeing Wicked 6 times I may just be getting tired of it, but when I saw it I had NO understudies. I just was bored. I think that the energy of the cast is dwindling and for whatever reason I feel like the stage of it used to be "deeper" that it now is. In emotion I mean.

Kendra: Kendra is my FAVORITE G(a)linda. She's funny and though she's not a soprano she still effortlessly hits the high notes and the show goes on. Her comedic timing is HILARIOUS. I've seen her three times now. Once on tour: AMAZING, once last summer: AMAZING, and then this past June: Decent. Either she's getting tired or was just sick that Friday night, but I was a bit disappointed.

Kerry: The worst Elphaba I've seen. I was very excited to see her, especially after winning lotto tickets, but was disappointed by her performance. She's talented, there's not doubt about that, but I felt that she wasn't actually feeling any of Elphaba's emotions. It was very flat and 2D and I never saw any inner conflict, it was always in your face. Julia Murney is the best Elphie I've seen yet.

Jayne: A great Morrible. Morrible isn't really a super deep character but Jayne gets you to laugh with her and hate her when you need to. She's one of the best I've seen. I still prefer Alma Cuervo for some reason.

PJ: I saw him twice as the Wizard and I still think he's great. He's just that cute old man you want the Wizard to be and he has great vocals for the part. A lovable guy.

Aaron: I thought he had the right idea and enjoyed his concept of making his songs a bit more pop-like than what is written, but he did hit sour notes quite frequently due to this. And as with Kerry, he was still flat. Cliffton Hall was my favorite Fiyero, I'm waiting for him to get to Broadway.

Ben: He's good, but it's hard to say phenomenal because Boq has never impressed me.

Cristy: She has been my least favorite Nessa. I love Deedee Magno Hall (Cliffton Hall's wife) as Nessa. For such a little woman she has such a big voice and when I see Cristy perform Nessa, I don't feel anything towards the character. I don't know why the producers have kept her so long.

Hope that helps a little bit!

it'sjustshowbiz Profile Photo
it'sjustshowbiz
#24re: How is the current cast of WICKED?
Posted: 7/29/08 at 9:39pm

I thought her accent was really strange. It seemed to come and go, but her voice also seemed really strange. I would prefer if she had an American accent the whole time.

BTW, what kind of accent does she have? It didn't sound like what I typically think of as a British accent.

Videos