pixeltracker

Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical

Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#1Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:39pm

"So, is that the end of the Legally Blonde-MTV marriage? Well, maybe not. Luftig said he has floated the idea of doing a movie of the musical with MTV. "You mean the Hairspray route?" he was asked by this reporter. That John Waters film was turned into a hit Broadway musical, which was then turned into another film. "Exactly," said Luftig."

Thoughts?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#2re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:41pm

Puke.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

skb2010 Profile Photo
skb2010
#2re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:42pm

I think it would be worse then the stage version.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I? I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#3re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:43pm

I bet it will happen. Soon too.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#4re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:45pm

Completely unnecessary. We already have the movie version and the filmed stage version. That's good enough.

::bust a move::

defyingravity07
#5re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:47pm

Movie producers don't see if something is necessary or not. They think "Can we make a lot of money with this?"

SporkGoddess
#6re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:48pm

Ughhh, no, the original movie is so much better than the musical. Unless they SERIOUSLY revamp the script for the movie.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#7re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:51pm

Why not eh?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#8re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:52pm

Because for everybody other than theater queens of dubious taste, Elle Woods will always be Reese Witherspoon. Without her, LEGALLY BLONDE is nothing.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

SporkGoddess
#9re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:53pm

I agree. Reese would have to play Elle.

I also think that the book flaws would be a lot more evident in a movie. Not to mention the 95% of the jokes that fall completely flat.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

fvalle24
#10re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:56pm

I'd like to see it done for amusement and curiosity. :P

Trekkie2
#11re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:02pm

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

toanythingtaboo 2
#12re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:03pm

Even though we have the OBC on the filmed version of the show...

I'd still LOVE for Orfeh to be Paulette if they made a film.

I'm not fussed either way, just don't put any of the whores from The Hills in it, or either of the Duffs.

It would be in humane.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#13re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:06pm

Im a huge fan of the show but a film version....no

There is no need whatsoever

and Borstalboy if you dont like the show then stop posting in all the threads...your giving my headache a headache

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#14re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:09pm

I'll post if I bloody well feel like it, dear.

Oh, and LEGALLY BLONDE sucks!

Ivan2 Profile Photo
Ivan2
#15re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:20pm

I'm not mad about this. I'm disappointed that this is what everyday people are like. When you're a Broadway junkie (or tour junkie) you know what a good show is but the general public they see Legally Blonde and think that that is a good show. Then when they go see a real show (yeah, I said it), they compare it to Legally Blonde rather than the other way around. Why can't they just film Gypsy again?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#16re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:30pm

Don't call me dear, it makes you sound like a patronizing 40s theatre queen

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#17re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:32pm

Yeah, it sucks in money, love and adoration, stays alive and flourishes.

That really bothers you, doesn't it BorstalBoy?

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

toanythingtaboo 2
#18re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:33pm

Theatre 'junkies' may know more about the industry, but that doesn't make their opinions any more valid than someone who doesn't go to the theatre much.

Gypsy is what would be classed as a more traditional show, Legally Blonde is part of modern day culture through both the original film and, now that MTV aired it, the show.

I think its obvious which show is more popular on the boards here, but it's also obvious which show is doing better with the public.

zamedy
#19re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:44pm

I've been meaning to ask this... Does anyone know if Reese Witherspoon or any other big names from the movie's cast have come to see the musical on Broadway, or have publicly stated their thoughts on it?
Updated On: 7/30/08 at 02:44 PM

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#20re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:57pm

Well, I guess it worked for Hairspray........

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

defyingravity07
#21re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 2:59pm

^ That was a Cult movie with NO movie stars in it.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#22re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 3:00pm

Hey don't put down old school theater queens, if it weren't for us there would be no Broadway...dear. But I wouldn't expect someone who has a stage adaptation of THE BREAKFAST CLUB as their avatar (so imaginative!) to really get it. Dear.

But go. Enjoy your hyper little...$100 a ticket...thing.

Updated On: 7/30/08 at 03:00 PM

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#23re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 4:09pm

Oh gosh, a Legally Blonde movie musical is a horrible idea. The show itself is all right but it doesn't improve on the movie at all. A movie musical is completely unnecessary.

But if they do end up doing it, I hope Heather Hach doesn't write the screenplay. Otherwise we'll see the same book flaws from the show magnified up on the big screen.

EDIT: I just had an awful thought. What if they do another reality series to cast the Elle for the movie?

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 7/30/08 at 04:09 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#24re: Hal Luftig Says He'd do LB: Movie Musical
Posted: 7/30/08 at 4:10pm

No!

Usually I like giving things a chance, but the movie just came out a few years ago!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Videos