pixeltracker

Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus- Page 4

Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus

Harpo Profile Photo
Harpo
#75re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 1:46am

I really, really enjoyed the production. I went specifically because of Julia and was impressed with her performance. Actually, I thought the whole cast was strong and I am now officially a fan of Eric Kunze. Sorry to say I had never seen him before. How I wish I could have seen him in Les Miserables and Damn Yankees!

The last time I saw Evita was two years ago in London. I didn't care for that production at all, so I am happy that I enjoyed this one so much.

It was so interesting to see the show in a round space. Very clever use of the aisles and stage. I wish I could see it again. My, shows come and go so quickly around here!

maggiwun2 Profile Photo
maggiwun2
#76re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 1:55am

Just got back from Sacramento where I saw the show four times. It just got better and better. I can't imagine a better Che than Eric. Even if I weren't a diehard fan, I would think so. The whole cast was strong. There wasn't a dull moment from start to finish. Harpo, check out Eric's fanpage at www.erickunze.blogspot.com.

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#77re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 5:12am

Wow. I guess I saw a different version of the show because Julia Murney was not very good...at all. Probably the worst professional performance by a lead actress I've ever seen actually. Her singing was horrible during the first act, and although it did improve during the second act but the show was ruined for me because of her "singing" in the first 50 minutes of the show. Kari was really good though. Too bad she is so young or she would have made a far better Evita.

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#78re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 9:32am

Yeah, don't know what show you saw Monkey. :)

It isn't the PERFECT role for her, but I thought she was really fantastic.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#79re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 9:42am

In the audio I heard of the show, I thought Murney sounded terrific.

wolvfbfn
#80re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 2:33pm

I don't like to criticize perfomers, but I have to go between Monkey and AB in my opinion of Julia's performance Sunday. I didn't think she was awful, but I was expecting so much more from her, especially "A New Argentina". The boyfriend was even a bit put off, but we were both quite impressed with the second act. She was so much better and it was great. To me, being able to recover like that just proves what a great performer she is.

Craww
#81re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:39pm

I have to agree with wolv, for the most part. She had some vocal issues, some especially ugly moments in A New Argentina. My sister and her roommate were very unimpressed with Murney. My father and I were mostly impressed, with slight qualms. I find her so so compelling, though, and was with her for the majority of the show. We all felt she inhabited the character in a unique and believable way.

Everyone in my party was super impressed with Eric Kunze. I was the only one who questioned if he was exhibiting a natural charisma, or if it was just a sort of perfunctory innate Che charisma. I'm not sure if he could have done more in that regard, but he was quite good.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#82re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:43pm

All I could think about during the audio was... she sure likes to scream a lot.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

maggiwun2 Profile Photo
maggiwun2
#83re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 8:46pm

Eric Kunze does not have a "perfunctory" bone in his body. He pours his heart and soul into everything he does. That's why I love him so much. His passion is amazing. Closing night he was sicker than a dog and that was his best performance in a string of perfect performances.

Craww
#84re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 9:26pm

Eric Kunze does not have a "perfunctory" bone in his body. He pours his heart and soul into everything he does. That's why I love him so much. His passion is amazing.

Oh, of course. Just the sort of unbiased source to assuage any and all of my doubts.

No, honestly, I thought he was wonderful. I'd be interested in seeing other work by him. The only reason I'd question at all is because I view the role as a natural scene stealer, so I had to examine whether my strongly positive reaction was all for him or partly because of that.

maggiwun2 Profile Photo
maggiwun2
#85re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 10:46pm

Craww, I admit I'm biased, otherwise I wouldn't waste my time. I didn't know who Eric Kunze was until Jan 9, 2008 when I saw him in "Whistle". That show was not reviewed well at all, but he got raves for his performances. Sure, good material helps. But to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, so to speak, tells you something about a person's talent and charisma. I'm glad you and your group saw that in him too.

nybearhugz Profile Photo
nybearhugz
#86re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 10:46pm

I would love to hear this audio!!!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#87re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 10:57pm

I saw Eric Kunze shortly after Sebastian Bach and the JCS tour, uh, parted ways, and I liked him then. I thought he was outstanding in Evita. Tons of charisma and a killer voice.

P.S. Is he still selling spas? :)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

trav08 Profile Photo
trav08
#88re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:07pm

What I've heard of Julia sounds good, except for A New Argentina. But everything else was awesome, IMO.

I also loved Eric Kunze's voice in Evita. Did you hear the craziness in And the Money kept Rolling In (And Out)? Those notes were awesome.

"right up here is where i store the juice."

maggiwun2 Profile Photo
maggiwun2
#89re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:10pm

No, in his spare time between shows he does real estate. (He has said as much in interviews.)

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#90re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:11pm

(He has said as much in interviews.)

He's also mentioned spas in interviews.

http://216.173.246.226/Bstories/sept18/kunze.html

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

maggiwun2 Profile Photo
maggiwun2
#91re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:13pm

That high note at the end of "Money" was reminiscent to me of his Gethsemane, only I think it was even higher. It gave me chills every night. I asked him how he did it and he said "smoke and mirrors" (with a smile). He is a super humble guy.

maggiwun2 Profile Photo
maggiwun2
#92re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:25pm

Hi Lizzie, I did know that. But it was five years ago and he's been out of that business for some time. (Not that there's anything wrong with it, by the way.)

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#93re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:36pm

Too bad. "Buy your spa from Jesus" has a certain ring to it. re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus

I think Matt Rawle in London hit a higher note at the end of "The Money Kept Rolling In (And Out)," but he was doing the Everyman concept and I liked Kunze a lot better in general.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

FlyingMonkey1223
#94re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:39pm

He was amazing. Loved his performance. But Julia. Yikes. I saw it at the Saturday evening performance and her voice cracked constantly during the first act. A New Argentina was painful to listen to, as was Buenos Aries. I love Julia actually, and saw her in WICKED and thought she was excellent. She is the reason I bought tickets for Evita in the first place, so I was very dissapointed.

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#95re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/20/08 at 12:44am

I posted this on the other board about Sacramento's Evita, but i figured it couldn't hurt posting it on both:

For anyone that knows Music/Music Theory... What did Eric Kunze do at the end of "Rollin"?

Mandy goes up the octave in falsetto.

Did he do the following: Here is Tony Vincent singing the song, he goes up the fifth on the 2nd chorus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw-4BT7L5e4

I am very interested in knowing what Eric did with the song.

FlyingMonkey1223
#96re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/20/08 at 1:36am

What he did sounded A LOT better then that. The note was great.

Craww
#97re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/20/08 at 5:45am

Well, whatever he did, it was sick.

maggiwun2 Profile Photo
maggiwun2
#98re: Julia Murney as Evita at Sacramento's Music Circus
Posted: 8/29/08 at 12:02am

nybearhugz, email me: maggiwun@yahoo.com