Mama Rose - how old?

AngusN
#1Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 5:19pm

How young do you think Mama Rose can be? I know that she is often cast early 50s, but I see her as having Louise when she was a teenager herself, and that is part of the reason that she feels quite resentful towards her; denying her the opportunities that June has.

I remember there was quite a bit of discussion about this, when it was suggested that Cath Zeta-Jones may play her in a new film.

What do you think?
Updated On: 8/17/08 at 05:19 PM

Trekkie2
#2re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 5:25pm

"I see her as having Louise when she was a teebager herself"

Not many people have kids when they're in their teebs...

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

AngusN
#2re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 5:40pm

Not now, but they certainly did when the show is set (1920s). Infact, it was rare that women would wait until their late 20s, early 30s to have children, back then.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#3re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 6:01pm

Why do I get the idea there was typo in the word teenager in the original post that has since been corrected? Or Trekkie have you been hitting the bottle today?

COOOOLkid
#4re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 6:05pm

LOL

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Trekkie2
#5re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 6:11pm

"Why do I get the idea there was typo in the word teenager in the original post that has since been corrected? Or Trekkie have you been hitting the bottle today?"

Yes and yes.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#6re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 6:17pm

The real Rose Havoc was 21 when she had Louise, so she would be about 39 or 40 at the end of GYPSY, making just about everyone who has ever played the role professionaly too old by more than a decade.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#6re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 6:17pm

re: Mama Rose - how old?

Teabagging can be VERY dangerous.

iamchanging9 Profile Photo
iamchanging9
#8re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 6:19pm

Well at the beginning of the show it's around 1920 making Rose around 30. Then at the end of act one it is 1929, making her 39 (this is year cited as when June eloped with Bobby). And then act two is the beginning of Louise's stripping career which is cited as in 1930, making Rose 40... but we never are told how much time has gone by at the end of the show.

So yeah. I just spent way too much time researching this.

...everyone was doing the mambo and drinking golden cadillacs...

iamchanging9 Profile Photo
iamchanging9
#9re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 6:20pm

Well at the beginning of the show it's around 1920 making Rose around 30. Then at the end of act one it is 1929, making her 39 (this is year cited as when June eloped with Bobby). And then act two is the beginning of Louise's stripping career which is cited as in 1930, making Rose 40... but we never are told how much time has gone by at the end of the show.

So yeah. I just spent way too much time researching this.

...everyone was doing the mambo and drinking golden cadillacs...

cfmiller Profile Photo
cfmiller
#10re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 6:55pm

Jpbran took my joke re: Mama Rose - how old?

I always figured Rose was kinky, but teabagging?

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#11re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 7:45pm

"Well at the beginning of the show it's around 1920 making Rose around 30"

So that would make Louise 9 and June 7 in the beginning and 18 and 16 respectively in '29.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#12re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 7:58pm

husk_charmer
#13re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 10:14pm

Michael Bennet-
You're forgetting the awful Houston production with a late 30s Andrea McArdle as Rose.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#14re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 11:03pm

Well I said professional production! That was like a ballet school that had McArdle as a guest artist!

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#15re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/17/08 at 11:06pm

Oh my, God, Michael Bennett, that may just be my new favorite quote of all time.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

husk_charmer
#16re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/18/08 at 2:01am

Was it really? That explains it then.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

AngusN
#17re: Mama Rose - how old?
Posted: 8/18/08 at 11:49am

Thanks for your input guys. I was just thinking ahead for auditions. Much appreciated.

Videos