Flea Market 2008

FeelingElectric
#50re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 5:53am

I am really hoping for a premium photo opportunity this year with Patti, Boyd and Laura as well. I would definitely pay $40 for that opportunity.

I am also hoping that Gina Gershon will be at the table this year, considering my lack of success meeting her at the Stage door at Beoing Boeing.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#51re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:03am

^ I'm guessing that trio will be one of the special $40 ones (assuming that cost doesn't go up).

korenglish ~ I have never done the celebrity table thing, but it's been my understanding from reading other experiences that if you want a pic with someone and they get called away to do the photo booth you can wait for them. I forget how it works, but I know people have talked about it before.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#52re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 11:14am

They strongly discourage photos being taken at the celebrity table. If someone gets called away for the photo booth and you want their autograph they will let you stay behind and wait for them to come back.

Dollypop
#53re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 11:20am

Patti has participated in the Flea Market in the past. I recall her being in the photo booth when she ws preparing for SWEENEY TODD.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

frogs_fan85
#54re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 11:39am

Yes, I remember her being interviewed from the celebrity table talking about rehearsals for Sweeney.

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#55re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 12:36pm

All three have definitely attended. One year I talked to Boyd about his imfamous lockeroom scene with Kim Cattrall in "Porky's". But remember they have to work at 3:00pm, so if they show, it would be one of the early shifts.

Dollypop
#56re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 4:54pm

The Broadway actors leave at around 3 PM. They are replaced by soap opera stars and television personalities at that time.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#57re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 4:57pm

The Broadway actors in currently playing shows. There have been Broadway actors NOT in currently playing shows at tables after 3. :)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#58re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:18pm

I figure that Patti, Boyd and Laura will be there, since they don't have to perform until 3, and the the St. James Theatre is very close to Shubert Alley.
Updated On: 8/24/08 at 09:18 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#59re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:19pm

I would love to get one of the understudy boards that are sometimes offered for sale. I have no idea why (nor where I'd put it, or what I'd do with it), but it strikes me as a fun souvenir to have.

Yankeefan007
#60re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:21pm

The funniest thing I've ever seen sold and bought: the MTC's BLACKBIRD full sized door poster...which was then taken over to MAURITIUS to get signed by Alison Pill.

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#61re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:27pm

For the soap fans out there:
Cast members from As The World Turns and Guiding Light will participate in the Broadway Cares Equity Fights Aids Flea Market on Sunday, September 21 at Shubert Alley in New York City. Actors scheduled to attend include ATWT's Ewa da Cruz (Vienna), Trent Dawson (Henry), Van Hansis (Luke), Marnie Schulenburg (Alison) and Jake Silbermann (Noah), as well as GL's John Driscoll (Coop), Marj Dusay (Alexandra), Nicole Forester (Cassie), Robert Newman (Josh) and Marcy Rylan (Lizzie).

frogs_fan85
#62re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:28pm

HA! I remember Jaystarr having pictures of that being signed from his 10/10 report on Mauritius that year.

Trekkie2
#63re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/24/08 at 10:19pm

Anyone think RENT will still have a table? I'm sure they still have a lot of stuff to sell, and I'd bet that there are plenty of cast and crew who'd be willing to man the booth.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

#64re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/25/08 at 7:38am

Rent would definitely have a table - once a show closes, I think it has more stuff to sell, because they just want to get rid of it. I went for the first time in 2000, just a couple weeks after Cats closed, and the Cats table was selling everything from the show: bits of giant garbage from the set, giant light bulbs, and even the costumes. Last year, the Grey Gardens table had all manner of unsold merchandise (shirt, programs, key chains, playing cards, etc.).

showinoff Profile Photo
showinoff
#65re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/25/08 at 11:18am

They will sign pretty much anything you put in front of them. The flea market is one of my favorite theatre event in NYC. I once had a $5 tip signed by my fav B-way celebs. He sat at my bar the night before.

You will have such a great time!

<< Gavin Creel and Kate Baldwin making vocal love... I adore these two.

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#66re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/25/08 at 11:41am

"That's sooooo cool it's actually ON my birthday this year Wanna take me shopping?"

It's twop days after mine, so I'll have some birthday $$!

WHEN are they going to post the preliminary list?????

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#67re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/25/08 at 12:44pm

Ooh, Luke and Noah....

re: Flea Market 2008

Broadway Baby 2
#68re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/25/08 at 3:32pm

I love the Flea Market. It is my favorite day of the year. The atmosphere is amazing and going to each table is like opening a present.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#69re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/25/08 at 3:35pm

I figure that Patti, Boyd and Laura will be there, since they don't have to perform until 3, and the the St. James Theatre is very close to Shubert Alley.

That reminds me of something funny from two years ago. I was working at the Altar Boyz table, which was right across from the St. James. During intermission of that performance of the Producers, John Treacy Egan came out in costume and started browsing the nearby tables and chatting with us.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#70re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/25/08 at 3:47pm

Okay, I have never been and I am looking forward to it this year. I am trying to understand how the whole thing works, so please forgive me for asking lame questions. There are tables for various shows, right? Do you have to pay to go to those tables or just for the one "celebrity" one? Are some cast members of the shows sitting at their show's table?

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

Dollypop
#71re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/25/08 at 3:50pm

You wait in line to get to the table and pay to walk down the length of the table chatting and getting autographs from the celebrities who are there at that time. You also pay extra to get your photo taken with the celebrities as they go into the photo booth.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#72re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/25/08 at 4:03pm

The cast members do work at the tables. Last year Telly Leung worked at Rent, Asmeret, Paul and Rusty (I think) worked at Legally Blonde, Michael Longoria was at Jersey Boys and the entire Curtains cast was at their table. The kids often worked at the tables for Mary Poppins and Grey Gardens. And you normally see a lot of people walking around. I must have seen about 20 actors walking around.

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#73re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/25/08 at 4:36pm

Thanks Dolly and Chita! (heh.)

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#74re: Flea Market 2008
Posted: 8/25/08 at 5:41pm

I know it does sound confusing but it really is just a big old fashion flea market/yard sale that takes place on Broadway. Not everything on sale is Broadway related but there are lots of stuff that are. You are free to walk up and down the all day to visit the tables and you could possibly run into a celebrity or cast member. The celebrity table is in a separate area that you do pay to meet the stars. Here is an actor, I can't quite place her that actually had her own table and sold her own jewelry and stuff and was there all day and even visited the celebrity table to raise more money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJq09itb7u8