in the heights

dl032656 Profile Photo
dl032656
#1in the heights
Posted: 8/20/08 at 11:25pm

If i did not understand spanish at all will i miss some part of the show?
thanks

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#2re: in the heights
Posted: 8/20/08 at 11:27pm

Yes you will miss some parts, many jokes and bits of songs are in spanish, but many people who've seen it and don't know any spanish still loved it.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2re: in the heights
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:02am

I doubt you would miss enough to make any difference.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#3re: in the heights
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:03am

you could always learn spanish and then go see it.... it'd be a good test.

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#4re: in the heights
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:04am

The only words of spanish I know are hola, buenos dias, gracias, and taco, but In the Heights was one of my all time favorite shows! Not speaking spanish will definitely not be a problem.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#5re: in the heights
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:04am

Maybe. Some jokes will go over your head and some words are in spanish but you will be able to understand them by how they are used in the sentence. Some words are even translated. Many people who do not know any Spanish loved the show and I have never heard anyone complain.

dl032656 Profile Photo
dl032656
#6re: in the heights
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:20am

thanks all i think i will watch this weeknd and if good learn some spanish and watch again. sometime it is just little wierd if you guess what they are trying to say...

SporkGoddess
#7re: in the heights
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:56am

I speak Spanish so I can't judge as well as someone who doesn't, but I think it's a lot better than, say, The Light in the Piazza without knowing Italian.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#8re: in the heights
Posted: 8/21/08 at 12:59am

Don't let not knowing Spanish discourage you from seeing it. It's amazing, Spanish or not.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#9re: in the heights
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:33am

According to a couple of people, you can only appreciate the show if you're Latino, which I think is bull.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#10re: in the heights
Posted: 8/21/08 at 4:39pm

not gonna lie most of the spanish that i know i learned from in the heights.

You will be completely fine, at the most you'll miss a couple jokes, but you may not even because everything is pretty understandable from the context.

And even if you didnt understand a word of the spanish, it won't affect the plot (just know abuela means grandmother, barrio means neighborhood and you should be fine)

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#11re: in the heights
Posted: 8/21/08 at 5:15pm

here's what you need to know:

ABUELA = Grandmother
BARRIO = Neighborhood
PACIENCA Y FE = Patience and Faith

the end.

musicandtemiror
#12re: in the heights
Posted: 8/21/08 at 5:39pm