pixeltracker

Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?

Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 1:53am

Judging by the new recording, which cut songs do you wish actually made the final show?

For me it's..

- "Small World/Momma's Talkin' Soft"
- "Nice She Aint"

The quaret is really quite great, and I prefer it to the duet. I think it adds a lot more depth having the two young daugthers look on at their mother and share their thoughts.
And I wish Herbie had his own song.

What do you think?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 2:21am

I like "Smile, Girls". I could see it working under the right circumstances.

COOOOLkid
#2re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 2:28am

Three Wishes for Christmas, and somehow work it out so that Tulsa is singing this song so I can her Tony Yazbek's voice.

And I'm a big fan of "Smile, Girls"

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

pattilupuppy Profile Photo
pattilupuppy
#3re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 4:45am

SMILE GIRLS ----- its amazing!

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#4re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 6:52am

I love Smile, Girls. i sang it all day yesterday

Mattbrain
#5re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 7:34am

Definitely Small World/Mama's Talkin' Soft.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#6re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 8:32am

"Small World/Mama's Talkin' Soft" and "Smile Girls".

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#7re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 9:11am

I think they are all pretty terrible...

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#8re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 12:27pm

Where would 'Nice, She Aint' be placed in the show? I think it's a great song, especially the way Boyd sings it, but I'm having a hard time picturing where it would actually fit into the show.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#9re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 12:40pm

As per what has been written in the past about it, it was intended for the end of the Chinese restaurant scene. Rose leaves and the waitress would have said to Herbie, "What happened to the nice lady?" The song is Herbie's response.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#10re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 12:48pm

"I think they are all pretty terrible..."

I have to agree... those songs were cut for a reason. I'm glad they didn't make the cut.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#11re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 1:09pm

I'm with MichaelBennett as well.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 1:14pm

Wow. You don't even like the "Small World/Momma's Talkin Soft" quartet?

I love it. And it would have made the show if the Young June wasn't afraid of heights.
The duet is kind of boring in comparison.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#13re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 1:53pm

I really like the "Small World"/"Momma's Talking Soft" quartet. I think the first verse with just Rose sets up her seduction of Herbie. At that point, it's interesting to hear that Baby June sees right through her, while Louise is much more naive and puzzled by the scene. (I particularly like June singing, "Momma's fooling him, not me.") For me, it is a bit of coloring that would have provided further context for June and Louise's later relationship, as well as June's withering attitude when we see her later as a young adult.

I wouldn't want any of the other songs to have been placed in the show, but I like the other songs for various reasons: both "Mother's Day" songs have that oddly dark lyric about "This time next year/She may not be here" which, given Sondheim's own mother issues, caught my attention; I like the "Nice, She Ain't" arrangement; I think "Smile, Girls" has a terrific lyric and is a fun faux habanera; "Who Needs Him" is too breast beating to have been an effective number for Rose, but I'm still intrigued by it, since it sounds like Styne trying to write like Arlen; and "Three Wishes for Christmas" sounds a bit like it could have been a model for "His Loves Makes Me Beautiful," although it seems like it would have just been an arbitrary production number.

Updated On: 8/31/08 at 01:53 PM

Michael Bennett
#14re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 2:50pm

I think all the songs are fascinating because they show how the creative team came to define these characters; I think they also show the expertise of the creative team to know they weren't ultimately needed in the final product. "Momma's Talking Soft" is probably the best of the lot, but I think the moment - that early in the show is best as a pinpoint moment for Herbie and Rose. Its one of only two times in the show we really see the gestation of their relationship.

All that is added by June and Louise's verse is further explanation of their mother's ruthlessness - we have the entire remaining 2 1/2 hours to discover that. Not necessary. I also think musically the quartet is messy.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#15re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 3:14pm

You could also say, though, that the show also has to be about its title character as much as Rose. I think "Momma's Talking Soft" also illustrates that Louise is unaware of sexuality. She clearly doesn't understand what is happening between Rose and Herbie, to the point that it drives her sister to exclaim, "Honestly, Louise". She then doesn't understand even her own sexuality until she discovers herself prior to, during and after the Strip sequence. It's not a crucial point. The show functions just fine without it and that journey still occurs. But I'm really moved by that little section of the future Gypsy Rose Lee as a confused wondering child.

Michael Bennett
#16re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 3:23pm

"the show also has to be about its title character as much as Rose"

The show has never aimed to be about Gypsy Rose Lee. It was always a super star vehicle for Ethel Merman, who didn't share the spotlight with anyone. Louise is a supporting character in the show. It would be a mistake to try to build up her role.

That said - I don't think "GYPSY" in the title necessarily refers to the character GYPSY ROSE LEE. I think there is more to it than that.

Updated On: 8/31/08 at 03:23 PM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#17re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 3:36pm

Yeah, "as much as" was not the right choice of words. But the show does tell Gypsy's story, while being a star vehicle for Rose. I feel that any moment the show pauses for a moment to shed some light on Louise is illuminating, which is the same reason I'm usually arguing the importance of "Little Lamb," for those that feel it is a bum number.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#18re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 3:58pm

So nice to actually read intelligent posts on this board for a change!

How refreshing...

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#19re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 4:00pm

I just did a whole blog on the exact topic and adore "Smile, Girls". I love the lyrics and I think the music is perfect for the scene. I would love for them to do a benefit concert of the show and add in all the cut songs.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#20re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 4:03pm

I absolutely adore "Small World/Momma's Talkin' Soft". I prefer it to the duet of "Small World".

I really love all of the songs, especially "Smile, Girls!", but it's nice to see that the creative team really knew when to draw the line. Even with one of these songs added in, the show would have a completely different feel.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#21re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 5:43pm

"Small World/Momma's Talkin' Soft" is definitely the only one I would actually want in the show. The others are fun to listen to, but I really enjoy what the song does for the girls.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#22re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 6:26pm

I just don't think any of them are needed, and I don't wish any of them made it into the show which is the thread's question.
I love the fact "Small World" just shows that clever seduction of Rose as well as the way Herbie gives into it at the end and just agrees with her. I don't think the comment from the girls is needed per se, although I can see Smaxie's point.
The creative team did SUCH a good job with the show as it is that cutting the rest was incredibly smart. They made their point without Herbie's solo, without the very unnecessary if a bit fun "Smile, Girls" (and Rose is too hard to get through for the actress to have to sing yet another solo), "Momma's Talkin' Soft," etc.
I'm glad the numbers were recorded and they are interesting to listen to, but no, I am glad that none of them made it into the piece.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

stupidbeans
#23re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 7:51pm

the extra songs are awesome, but the show is just right as far as the number os songs. It's just fine the way it is.

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

haddaddy3 Profile Photo
haddaddy3
#24re: Which cut Gypsy songs do you wish actually made the show?
Posted: 8/31/08 at 9:25pm

I really wish "Small World/Momma's Talkin' Soft" had made it in. Could it have been staged any other way so the girls did not have to be up so high? I love it because it shows that they're aware of their mother's tricks as children, not just adults.

The concept of "Nice She Ain't" is good and I would've liked Herbie to have a solo, but I don't think it's as good as I expected it to be.

"Smile Girls" is terrific, but I think it would've been just too much to fit into the desert scene.

Still, the show is really long as it is. That's not a bad thing, but it would be like a marathon had one of the cuts made it.

You look absolutely terrific, honestly.