pixeltracker

When did Stagedooring become a necessity?

When did Stagedooring become a necessity?

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#1When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 12:48pm

**This ended up being a lot longer than I expected so read through it if you want to hear my thoughts and observations on the semi-recent rise in the popularity of stagedooring

It seems nowadays, more so than ever before, stagedooring has become a necessary part of the experience of theatre. People come to the theatre visit the box office to buy a ticket, get that ticket scanned to enter, have an usher point in the general direction of your seat, sit and watch for 2 hours, stand and applaud and then visit the stage door. As if its required (as all the other steps in the process are).

Now, as long as Ive been around the theatre there has always been stagedooring. But it used to be 5-10 people who either knew someone in the cast or really really enjoyed the show. After any given show today there are 50-100 people at the stage door and its not just for celebrities. I could be wrong but I think that it began to take off like this back when Wicked first opened (I am not blaming or accusing Wicked or their fans of anything, so lay off. Its just an observation.) Wicked is the first time I can remember 300+ people being at the stagedoor every single night for non-celebrities. And with the popularity of Wicked many people who saw the show and then stagedoored have carried that “tradition” on to all the other shows they’ve seen since then and its taken off.

It used to be that the curtain call signaled the end of the evening. Not only was it a finite ending but it allowed the audience to snap back out of fictional world of the show and back into reality. It gave the audience the chance to recognize the actors for their performances and to realize that the actors are just that, actors portraying a character on stage and they are just regular people. Today it seems as though the audience has deluded the significance of the curtain call. Its almost as if people are applauding for the characters and not the actors. Case and point of this was Cry-Baby, a mediocre show with mediocre leads would end every night to wild standing ovations. Its as if the audience were cheering for the happy ending and not the performance of the actors. To those people, they were still characters (or actors in role) during the curtain call. I think this leads to the stagedooring issue. When you take away that opportunity for the audience to recognize and applaud the actor it leaves people feeling unfishished, like they didn’t get the closure they deserve. They then feel compelled to stage door and tell the actors how much they liked the show and to see the actors out of character.

This part of the problem can be attributed, I think to the recent rise in popularity of the standing ovation. There have been many threads on this and I don’t really feel like going into it too much but with everyone standing it eliminates the chance for the people who truly loved the show or were moved by it to express their satisfaction above everyone else. So those people then feel compelled to stage door to express it. Perhaps the 50-100 people who gather at any given stagedoor on any given night are the 50-100 people that would have been standing during the curtain call regardless.

I don’t know if there is a real answer to this or if it has just become a new trend that will probably only get more and more popular but I think its interesting. Id like to hear some thoughts on it.

"Have they come yet?"
Updated On: 9/8/08 at 12:48 PM

#2re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 1:29pm

I've never stage doored despite seeing lots of shows. And even if there are 200 fans at the stage door after each and every performance of Wicked that's only 10% of the audience. What's the problem?

It's absurd what people get themselves worked up about on here.

elphiesmagic
#2re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 1:33pm

For that matter, when did "case in point" become "case and point"?

Brian had sex, with a really dumb girl, now he's taking his friend Stewie, to get some ice cream, in his car.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#3re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 1:40pm

I'm not sure anyone ever said stagedooring was "a necessity," but it is fun and exciting and it has certainly grown into quite a tradition and a big part of the Broadway/live theatre expierience.

With fan favorites like Daniel Radcliff and others troding the boards these days, it has become something of a phenomenon that makes people feel like it's "a necessity."

People who have never seen a show or may never get back to NYC again may feel it's necessary to stagedoor... especially if it's someone they are a fan of. I am a huge fan of Patti LuPone. There was no way I was not going to stagedoor to "meet" her when I saw GYPSY.

We admire the performers and want to feel like we can call them friend, share things/the Broadway expierience toegther... Stagedooring and seeing them as real people may help some of us do that.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 9/12/08 at 01:40 PM

broadwayjim42
#4re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 1:46pm

I'm in the "what's the big deal" group.

I stagedoor frequently and it's always either because I really enjoyed the show or there's someone in it I like or admire. The only time I've gotten really gabby with any of the actors is when they initiate something or, as in the case of "title of show," I felt moved enough by the show to tell them so.

And yes, I will probably stage door "Equus" in two weeks, although I have my doubts little Danny will come out after the matinee.

stupidbeans
#5re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 1:46pm

some people, like myself, don't like stagaedooring. There are a lot of people and you have to wait such a long time. You only get to talk to the performers for 2 seconds. IMO, it isn't worth it, so not EVERYONE stage doors. I wouldn't call it a necessity

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/8/08 at 1:48pm

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 01:48 PM

Brian07663NJ
#7re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 1:49pm

Elphiesmagic...
Did you ever consider reading: http://www.grammercop.com/
Kind of you to point out each error but 'it' happens. I thought this was a board to read information about Broadway...not point out and fix every error?

To everyone else - can we just be kind to one another, provide information, share fun stories and stop trying to criticize one another?

The current page's topic:

As for stagedooring...I was brought to the stagedoor from the very first show I saw which was Peter Pan with Sandy Duncan at the Lunt-Fontanne. I have noticed a tremendous rise in the popularity of stagedooring since ebay became popular a few years ago. At the same time, those coming out also became aware of people trying to sell the autographs and it has become necessary to try to figure out who will and won't. The "autograph" resellers have honestly ruined it for the real fans.

About standing ovations - I agree that it is out of hand. They are too freely 'given' out.

stupidbeans
#8re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 1:53pm

LePetiteFormage

are you talking to me or the OP

"And We Have A Shepherd's Pie Peppered With Actual Shepherd On Top" - Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/8/08 at 1:54pm

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 01:54 PM

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#10re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:05pm

I agree with Eponine - it is fun and it's a way of stretching out what has become a very expensive evening for most folks. I've gotten to know a few actors personally and they've told me they are always pleased to see fans waiting for them at the stage door. They may not always be up for autographs or photos, but they're almost always happy to learn first hand how much the audience appreciated their performance. (The only exception I can think of is someone I know who is very shy 'when playing herself' and therefore avoids the crowds at the door.)

Enjoying the show, waiting in anticipation to see the performers and tell them how much you liked them, maybe getting an autograph or even a picture - it's all part of the fun!

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#11re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:13pm

As far as Broadway is considered, stagedooring has been a normal occurrence for decades.

Many here can still recall the crazy crowds outside of the Winter Garden Theatre during Barbra Streisand's run in FUNNY GIRL back in 1964-65.

The insane crowds outside of the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre during Richard Burton's HAMLET back in 1964, mostly to get a glimpse of his new wife Elizabeth Taylor.

The hords outside the Ethel Barrymore Theatre back in 1947 during Marlon Brando's run in A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE.

The internet and message boards has brought attention to it but its been going on for decades before any of us were even born.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#12re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:13pm

It's an interesting point you raise, but I feel the need to question it.

Why are you assuming "lol, silly audience, don't they know they're applauding actors and not characters"? That's... actually very insulting, and most probably wrong. I know that every standing ovation I've been a part of has been out of utmost respect for the performers involved, and I imagine a great many people here would agree. Applauding a *character*? Oh please. I don't know WHERE you've got this idea from, but I suggest you disabuse yourself of it as quickly as possible.

Yes, it is questionable to snobs like myself as to why people would give something like 'Cry Baby' a standing ovation, but hell, leave them be. People standingly ovate the weirdest stuff; I think my theory that they don't feel they've got value for money unless they convince themselves it's the best thing ever is a lot closer to the truth than yours.

I also question the veracity of your claim that 300 people wait at the 'Wicked' stagedoor every night. Really? Really truly? I would bet you real money that there will be fewer than 100 at the 'Wicked' stagedoor this coming Saturday evening. And 50-100 people at every stagedoor of every show every night? No way. How many times have you read a stagedooring anecdote on this very site and read words like "there were only half a dozen/a dozen/two other people there"? Plenty of times. Well, possibly *you* haven't read 'em, otherwise you wouldn't be stating such ridiculous things.

People have been stagedooring for donkeys' years. I would suggest that it's only since the internet got big that it started being a problem for you. If people stagedoor, say, 'Never Forget' in the West End, you wouldn't care. In previous years you wouldn't have noticed. But you can find photographs, anecdotes, YouTubes, horror stories, the WORKS, if you care to go a-Googling.

I shoot down your theory and posit my countertheory that stagedooring is just as it ever has been, it's just the nature of the internet making it appear to be a bigger deal than ever.

Updated On: 9/8/08 at 02:13 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:16pm

I have only actually stagedoored twice. For Little Mermaid in Denver and Deathtrap on Briadway. For BENT with Richard Gere, we were handed playbills to put our names on and got them back signed by Mr. Gere after the performance. I did stop past the Lunt after a Sunday afternoon performance of Mermaid to say hello to Tyler, whom I got to know a bit while the show was in Denver and to say hello from Denver to Sierra (Which she really appreciated). I did stand ouside the stagedoor at the Gershwin in 2004 for Wicked but it started to drizzle and with all of the people there, It wasn't worth it. I left after 10 minutes. I have decided that in the future, if I want an autograph and they are doing the BCEFA fund drive, I will buy a signed Playbill. I won't have to fight the crowds and I will be donating to a great cause. The only people I think I would stagedoor for, and to get a picture with, are Angela Lansbury, Bernadette Peters, Patti Lupone and Chita Rivera. I have already met Ms. Rivera (She knocked me down in a theatre lobby in Philly. It was wonderful!)

Just give the world Love.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:17pm

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 02:17 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#15re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:17pm

Elphie'smagic, (notice the apostrophy) stop being so school marmish and either contribute to the thread or refrain form trying to appear so superior. Geesh

Stagedooring has always been popular, it is nothing new. I remember the long lines waiting to see Mary Tyler Moore when she was in WHOSE LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:20pm

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 02:20 PM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#17re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:22pm

LePetite: I don't blame you. I think it's because I'm English; when I start flinging my words about like that, everything starts coming out weird. XD

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#18re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:24pm

Lepetite, yes it is called a typo, sh*t happens.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:27pm

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 02:27 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#20re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:32pm

I know! Some however, would not mean it as a joke.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#21re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:32pm

Dang it, double post! Carry on!

Updated On: 9/8/08 at 02:32 PM

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:34pm

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 02:34 PM

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#23re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:38pm

Brian07663NJ, that is an interesting point about eBay, which is why I only get my playbill signed.

And I agree with uncageg about getting a BC/EFA playbill!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Ed_Mottershead
#24re: When did Stagedooring become a necessity?
Posted: 9/8/08 at 2:45pm

I don't see that stagedooring is a recent phenomenon -- in the 19th Century, they were called "stage-door Johnnys" or "matinee girls" or some such euphemism. It was always prevelant in the opera world, where aficianodos would go to the extreme of un-hitching a diva's carriage and pull it to her destination. Look at the photographs of Geraldine Farrar's farewell (in 1922) -- you can't see the street for the people.

I agree, however, that it has grown exponentially -- the bigger audience that is reached, the more "live" fans will be on hand -- movie stars appearing on the NY stage were always mobbed; then television expanded the audience a zillion-fold; and with the Internet, it's gone completely beserk.

It's sad to realize that a large proportion of "stagedoorers" -- not all -- are living out their emotional lives vicariously through "contact" with their idols. It's important to remember that even the nicest performers must put a divide between "friends" and "fans." And anyone who stagedoors must remember that that is exactly what they are -- fans. Smiling, signing an autograph, posing for a picture -- it's all very fine and good, but it does NOT mean that these people regard you as their "friends." They may remember you if you show up often enough, they may be appreciative of any well-intended gesture, but in the final analysis, they have their own lives far apart from their fans.

BroadwayEd
Updated On: 9/8/08 at 02:45 PM

Videos