Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#1Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 12:45am

Saw the show tonight, and all I can say is WOW. I paid $116.50 for my Row A seat and this is one of the very few times I've paid full price and can say it was worth every penny. I'd gladly go back tomorrow if I could.

I have never seen the show onstage before, nor had I read the play. My only exposure to the piece is the film, so while familiar with the subject matter, I was unfamiliar with just how intense it is when you see it live.

I simply can't rave enough about the production. The design is gorgeous- the stage is appropriately stark and the set consists of the 6 stable doors and four cubes that get moved all around. The star technical attraction is the lighting, which is appropriately eery, and jarring when it needs to be. The sound design is also quite impressive, in that it's deathly quiet until that climactic scene, when it builds to a sudden cacophany.

The play itself is a 2 hour and 40 minute adrenaline rush. I was riveted to the action onstage the entire time, completely caught in the moment, as was the rest of the audience. The show flew by and never once was I bored or taken out of the moment. I highly recommend trying to sit close to the stage (which is very low, so no worries about site lines) because it plays very well from up close. I was completed transported last night being that close. The climactic scene in act 2 is nothing short of perfection- I didn't want it to end, and my heart continued pounding throughout the intermission, and well after I left the theater after the show.

As good as the show is, it soars because of the work of its cast, particularly Daniel Radcliffe. He is clearly the anchor of this production, and is delivering an absolutely stunning performance in his Broadway debut, wiping the floor with the likes of Terrence Howard and Julia Roberts. If there was any doubt in anyone's mind that he'd transition into adult roles, they should immediately disappear after watching this performance. Brilliant is not a word I toss around often, but he certainly is in this production. It's such an ethereal, transcending performance, that is nothing short of revelatory. How he manages to do it 8 times a week is beyond me. He was still shaking when he came out for his curtain call. He completely shattered my expectations for him. I'm still thinking about his performance, and how beautifully layered it was. And for the record, never once did the words "Harry Potter" enter my mind.

Richard Griffiths is also doing fine work as the psychiatrist. He's appropriately detached at certain moments, but then displays a fiery intensity (without ever having to raise his voice) when it's necessary. He's presents a demanding physical presence, which plays into the concept of him being sort of the catalyst for everything going on. He and Radcliffe have excellent chemistry.

The rest of the cast is uniformly good, with Carolyn McCormack and T. Ryder Smith as the parents doing exceptionally fine work.

This is definitely worth the trip, folks.

Updated On: 9/11/08 at 12:45 AM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 12:54am

Thank you, adamgreer, for your incredible review. I am so glad you would describe Daniel Radcliffe's performance as "brilliant." I completely agree (though I do throw that word around a lot) and am so glad this was a wonderful experience for you. Everyone needs to go see this show. There is not a lot on Broadway right now actually worth a full price ticket - this is! Thanks again.

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#2re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 2:40am

Hey! I was just wondering if you were sitting in the center A or on the side A. I have tickets in Row A, the first two seats on the side (2-4 I believe). Nothing will be cut off I hope.

Broadway Baby 2
#3re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 3:09am

I cant wait ti see this on stage. I am familiar with the piece because I have read the script. This production is my first chance to see iy performed.

broadwayjim42
#4re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 7:38am

My partner and I will be there for the matinee on the 20th...first row front mezzanine. Can't wait!!!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#5re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 8:03am

Thank you for this wonderful review re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)

I am so glad Daniel and the show itself are starting off seemingly so well.

I hope I get the chance to see it for myself soon.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 9/11/08 at 08:03 AM

jayclay
#6re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 8:38am

Thanks for the review. I am looking forward to seeing Equus in a few weeks! A question for you or anyone who has been to the Broadhurst recently (I haven't been in that theater for several years so I can't picture it)...it seems that in many theaters there are exit doors on the right side(as you face the stage)where you can just pop out onto the street. Is this the case in the Broadhurst too? I have to run for a train immediately after the show and want to get out as quickly as possible, and my tickets are towards the right side. Thanks.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#7re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 8:58am

The Broadhurst empties out onto the street on its left side.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#8re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 9:04am

I was just wondering if you were sitting in the center A or on the side A. I have tickets in Row A, the first two seats on the side (2-4 I believe). Nothing will be cut off I hope.

I was on the other side, in seat 3. You don't really miss anything, per say, but there are a couple of exchanges where an actor has their back to you for a short period of time. It certainly doesn't take away from your enjoyment of the piece, nor do you miss anything significant.

it seems that in many theaters there are exit doors on the right side(as you face the stage)where you can just pop out onto the street. Is this the case in the Broadhurst too?

Unfortunately, no. They funnel everyone out the same doors that you come in, which slows things down drastically. Are you seated on an aisle? Because if you are, the minute the curtain call ends and the actors start walking offstage, get up and move briskly to the exits. Hopefully, you'll beat the crowd. Getting out of the theater is also slowed down by the massive crowd that gathers outside afterwards to meet the stars. Last night it was insane- there were people on both sides of the street, and police everywhere. It's not easy getting out of there if you're in a hurry.

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#9re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 9:07am

I have tickets in Row A, the first two seats on the side (2-4 I believe). Nothing will be cut off I hope.

[obligatory joke]As you can see from one particular promotional photo, nothing has been cut off at all.[/obligatory joke]

jayclay
#10re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 9:34am

I'm just two in from the aisle, so I should be able to get out pretty quickly...and then I'll sprint once I can get through the stage door crowds. One of the few times I'm just going in for the day and not staying in the city - oh well. Thanks!

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#11re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 10:09am

I was also there last night and completely agree with your review. Daniel had a Tony Award moment during the last 10 minutes of this production, and was equally complex and engrossing throughout. At curtain call, you could see the sweat that had accumulated on his brow and hair and it was very understandable why. I felt Richard took a bit to warm up, but was very good when he did. I loved that Daniel and Richard never left the stage even when they werent in a particular scene. I usually tend to yawn during plays as a force of habit and not once did I yawn or glance at my watch. This production really reigns you in (pun intended) :)

Adamgreer, I was on the opposite side from you. I sat ROW A SEAT 6 (3 from aisle) and the view was perfect, no obstructions or partial view. Occassionally, a character would block another if they were directly in front of them but it certainly wasnt an issue.

xoangel2789xo
#12re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 5:28pm

Anyone know what people thought of the view from the stage seats? I was just curious.

Bwayfan4
#13re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 5:50pm

I can't wait to see this play this weekend from the front row of the mezzanine!

artifact11 Profile Photo
artifact11
#14re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/11/08 at 8:29pm

How did you manage to get a front row seat?
I am hoping to show up a few hours before a show while it is still in previews to try to get a good single orchestra seat that might be available, don't know how likely that is.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#15re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/12/08 at 12:38am

Well it's been on TKTS. So you won't have a problem getting a ticket on the day of the show.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#16re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:00am

I saw it tonight. Front row center.

Radcliffe was incredible.

Kate Mulgrew, who is a magnificent actress, felt completely in another universe in her scenes. It was like she was performing in another play, or a soap opera. The director needs to reel her in and develop a more appropriate characterization. I couldn't take her seriously. She felt totally out of place.

That said, the show was pretty marvelous overall.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#17re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:06am

I actually think Mulgrew is the only one performing EQUUS and the others are in some other play re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening) But then, I'm one of the only people on this board who thinks this production really misses the mark. But who am I to judge if others are moved by a piece of theatre? I think thats great.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#18re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:14am

MB, can i ask did you see the original production?

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#19re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:29am

I didn't see it live, but did see the video of the original production with Anthony Hopkins, Peter Firth (and an amazing supporting cast including Marian Seldes, Frances Sternhagen and Roberta Maxwell) recently at TOFT and it was mind blowing. Nothing about this current production is even in the same ball park.

I think most of those who actually did see the original staging live and have seen the revival feel the same way (check out the postings on ATC) but again, I do think its great that this new production is finding a fan base - I'd just definitely encourage any of you who love this production to see if you can find a way in there- and go watch that video of the OBC at TOFT and see what I'm talking about...
Updated On: 9/12/08 at 01:29 AM

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#20re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:41am

Well if the rumours are true, hopefully I will get the chance to see this production with Dan and Richard in Australia next year.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Yankeefan007
#21re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/12/08 at 7:54am

I hate all of your peer pressure. I just bought a ticket for way too much $$.

Oh well. I guess a) the credit cards are closed through December and b) it makes up for all the shows I managed to see for free?

Better be the best damn show of the year! Updated On: 9/12/08 at 07:54 AM

Harper3 Profile Photo
Harper3
#22re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/12/08 at 9:41am

My thoughts on seeing this show were pretty mixed but this review definately sparked my interest.

I've been out of the loop for a bit so can anyone fill me in on the rush policy?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#23re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/12/08 at 9:55am

Unfortunately, there is no rush policy for EQUUS.

WannaBeAFoster, how did you manage to score front row center tickets??

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#24re: Equus tonight (9/10/08 evening)
Posted: 9/12/08 at 10:23am

I bought it the day the box office opened.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Videos