Least-Favourite Musical?

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#1Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 7:21pm

Which musical leaves the worst taste in your mouth? I think I'd have to go with "Starmites." I do quite like the song "Reach Right Down," but in my opinion, it's the most obscenely, comically bad show to ever be nominated for Best Musical. This is it on the Tony Awards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEenp3n7T6g

My school put it on several years ago, and though I was in it, I still can't explain or, frankly, understand the plot.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#2re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 7:29pm

The Freaking Sound of Music... Here's how much I hate that stupid show: it was the final straw that made me decide I hated musicals for a few years (and I grew up in theatre)!

It's like an Austrian Brady Bunch without the postmodern irony. What a dreadful, syrupy piece of crap.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#2re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 7:30pm

One word..... OKLAHOMA. Talk about PTSS

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

crc03772 Profile Photo
crc03772
#3re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 7:34pm

Mominator, i'm in TOTAL agreement with you...yes I understand what Oklahoma did for musical theatre, but that doesn't make me like it any better.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#4re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 7:35pm

I will always have a love-hate relationship with Oklahoma. I love some of the songs to bits, and I can't stand some of the other ones. I absolutely love the character of Ado Annie, and Will is just adorable (as are all of his songs). On the other hand, Laurey just bores me. But I'll always like Oklahoma, in the same part of me that likes the Captain Underpants books and getting popsicles from the ice cream man.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

george95
#5re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 10:10pm

I don't see any irony in the Brady Bunch,post-modern or not. I think that's what makes the show today so charming. The movies were ironic yes, but not the show.

christhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
#6re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/13/08 at 7:34am

Grease.

yankeegal Profile Photo
yankeegal
#7re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/13/08 at 8:27am

Mamma Mia.

broadwayfan310
#8re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/13/08 at 8:40am

I agree with Oklahoma!

Mattbrain
#9re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/13/08 at 8:42am

Annie

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#10re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/13/08 at 8:45am

Annie.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#11re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/13/08 at 9:55am

Wizard of Oz

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

leobloom169
#12re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/13/08 at 10:08am

FAME!

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#13re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/13/08 at 10:10am

"Annie" Ah, it is one of my favorites.

For me it is The Lion King, maybe if it hadn't not been so hyped, and didn't have that really cool opening, and then nothing else. It is a show that just bored me.

monestere Profile Photo
monestere
#14re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/13/08 at 7:57pm

RENT. I dislike the show almost as much as the score.

My Avatar is the amazing young singer, James Anest

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#15re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/13/08 at 8:03pm

Grease
Annie
Mamma Mia!
Aida
Cats

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 9/13/08 at 08:03 PM

broadwayjim42
#16re: Least-Favourite Musical?
Posted: 9/13/08 at 8:29pm

La Cage Aux Folles..I never get tired of saying that.

Wicked, The Lion King, Phantom and Les Miz were disappointments at various levels, but La Cage was in a crappy class all by itself.

Videos