pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:47pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 9/21/2008 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/grosses.cfm

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#2re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:53pm

Three of the 4 new dramas did very well. 13... did not.

Tale of Two Cities also isn't looking too good for a show in its opening week.

All in all, a modest improvement from last week. Things are looking up a bit!

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#2re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:56pm

Good for most shows, all in all it's a pretty 60-70% week, better than last week but not great.

barcelona20
#3re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:03pm

Guessing that Mary Poppins will close after the new year.

Equus would improve their #'s if they offered a ticket cheaper than $70.

jake6970
#4re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:08pm

This was a good week! I'm glad to see SA going up.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#5re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:14pm

Does anyone know "Tales"'s nut?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#6re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:17pm

I really don't think Disney will close Mary Poppins unless they have a new show to replace it. I'll give it another year, by then Disney might have something to bring into that theatre.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#7re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:20pm

I think Disney should do what they did for Beauty and The Beast and The Lion King and move Mary Poppins into a smaller house. It's a great show and I would hate to see it close.

Goodbye

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#8re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:23pm

What were 13's producers thinking? They decide to open the month their target audience goes back to school? They are geniuses.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#9re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:57pm

Yikes! Not a good start for 13. And what is going on with Mary Poppins? Hopefully their grosses will go up once the tourists return.

And I would have thought that Equus would be selling out even in September, what with Daniel Radcliffe in it and everything.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 9/22/08 at 04:57 PM

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#10re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:02pm

Die, die, die, hurry up and die already LB and MP!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:03pm

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 05:03 PM

MissAnneThrop Profile Photo
MissAnneThrop
#12re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:05pm

looks like there wont be a booking jam come spring. looks like hairspray might need some star power soon.

And I Am Always So Vitriolic

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#13re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:17pm

Borstal, you should consider befriending some of the actors or crewmembers in Legally Blonde and Mary Poppins and then maybe you wouldn't spend your time wishing them out of a job.

If there were better shows waiting for theaters (and don't say WSS since it's still a ways away and hasn't been confirmed as wanting that house and Brigadoon's problems don't have to do with theater availability), I would kind of understand your sentiment, but seeing as how right now, the alternative is 1 if not 2 empty theaters... do you really stand by that statement?

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#14re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:20pm

Does anyone know "Tales"'s nut?

Yup - the person who invested on the show.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

bwayfan9
#15re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:20pm

grease will go soon

Obama/Biden 08

Lynnespock2
#16re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:28pm

bwayfan9 - You know this because? I hardly think that a few bad weeks will close the show "soon."

Those two on your avatar your buddies? No accounting for taste!

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#17re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:28pm

I hope [title of show] can sell a little better before it closes. I'm not holding my breath, but it'd be nice for them. Because apparently we're telling 900 people now.

bwayfan9
#18re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:32pm

I hate bush and McCain.

I am predicting it will go because like many, I thought that wants we would get into the fall grease would loose it's fanbase and the grosses wold start declining, it is now the fall and the grosses are declining, as I predicted. Not Too much life left.

Obama/Biden 08

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#19re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:35pm

I can't see Grease closing before the holidays.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Lynnespock2
#20re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:37pm

And the other shows that have declined? You predicted that too?

This is a lean time of year for many shows, or don't you see the big picture. Tunnel vision, I suppose.

bwayfan9
#21re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:43pm

Grease depends on a younger fanbase that has already seen the show, which is now in school. little_sally did bring up a great point about the holidays. Lynnespock2 I don't appreciate your disrespectful way of talking to me and I would appreciate it if you would be a little nicer. I do understand shows go down at this time of year, we all know that. We also have a weak economy as well, but as I said, now that the grease fanbase is gone, it might not make it much longer.

Obama/Biden 08

Lynnespock2
#22re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:47pm

Grease does not depend on a younger audience, just the opposite, it is people who remember the times or loved the movie. I have been to the show and the audience is people of all ages. How do you know the fan base is gone? You base this on what??

Want me to talk nicer to you? Don't start rumors based on your limited knowledge and sheer speculation.

Updated On: 9/22/08 at 05:47 PM

bwayfan9
#23re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:50pm

I didn't start a rumor. Starting a rumor would be saying "GREASE IS CLOSING". I have been predicting it will close. The older audience has already seen the show and aren't flocking to it as loyaly as the youger audience has. Besides, there were tons of excited kids when I saw it Lynnespock2

Obama/Biden 08

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#24re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/21
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:51pm

You beat me too it Lynne.

Videos