pixeltracker

Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump

Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#1Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 1:25am

Despite bad reviews Tale still has great numbers at the box office.
Tale gets box office bump

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 1:27am

That still sounds to me like they're losing money big time.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

massofmen
#2re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 1:38am

Great numbers? are you drunk? seriously.
the op costs are around 600,000 for that show. They have lost money each week since they started previews. They have probably lost over a million since they started on TOP of the 16 million they originally invested.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 1:41am

I got that article as a link from a friend of mine who is an usher there. The cast and crew and everyone in the theatre seems to be happy about it so I assumed it was good news.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 1:45am

It is good news. It just didn't need it's own thread.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#5re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 10:20am

I just thought that with so many threads saying negative things about this show, that I would create a thread with something positive to say.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#6re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 10:25am

What's up with the monkeyheads?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#7re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 10:34am

I went last week, and the orchestra was almost full, but the mezz was only about a third full.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#8re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 10:37am

It was pretty full all over last night from what I could see. And the audience was eating up that big old mess of a belt fest. (Not necessarily said as a bad thing.)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

PSLove302 Profile Photo
PSLove302
#9re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 10:50am

Winston - please stop being such an obnoxious shiller.

Clearly you have ties to the theatre in which it's playing... maybe that explains your persistent defending of this CRAP.

"I don't see that many plays, and for me, musicals are rarely pleasing. I feel the actors are being put through a kind of nightmarish labor. They're like animals being forced to pull heavy carts of vegetables at incredible speeds." --- Wallace Shawn

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#10re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 10:55am

How many songs do the monkeyheads have?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#11re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 11:45am

PS, not true. My friend got the job this week way before I was defending this show. However, I am happy for him that he got an usher job after having tried for so long.

So PS, I am not a shill and I am just a fan. Look at when I joined. I joined way before the show even tried out in Sarasota. How could I be a shill?

JillS
#12re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 11:51am

The monkey heads have 6 songs and an interpretive dance during the interval. Do you think that's too much? re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#13re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 12:26pm

Well, this makes me happy at least. Why is it that if someone loves a "bad" show (note the quotation marks) they are obviously a shill?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
Updated On: 10/1/08 at 12:26 PM

Erin1980 Profile Photo
Erin1980
#14re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 1:09pm

This thread needs an enema.

It's a damn fine day to tell the truth!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#15re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 1:24pm

little_sally, I agree with you. Personally I am sick of being called a shill just because I am a fan of a show. Here is someting logical ( I am being sarcastic when I say this) but let's call all Patti Lupone fans who say something nice about her shills just to get people to see her perform.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#16re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 1:26pm

I'm in agreement with both of you. If you like a popular show or person, no one says boo, but if it's a show that the "elites" don't particularly like, you're a "shill" for defending it. It makes no sense.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Erin1980 Profile Photo
Erin1980
#17re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 1:53pm

This thread needs an "elite" enema.

It's a damn fine day to tell the truth!

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#18re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 5:31pm

Winston, I'll never understand why, when I support shows like ToTC, Legally Blonde and others, I get little to no crap about it, but you get screamed at ad nauseum.

Good for the show. It seems to be building slow and steady traction, much like (egads, another comparison) Les Mis did when it first premiered.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#19re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 6:07pm

It's OK. Winston knows the usher, one of the female leads, and probably a few ensemble members, a stagehand and also a hairdresser...all personally. Really.

And Winston gets rapped on this because it's all he really ever talks about on here. Les Mis and ATOTC.

Completely off topic. but jordangirl I consider you an "elite" :).

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#20re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 6:08pm

Oh but philly03, I actually like aspects of this one. And other shows that are deemed "less worthy". :) I'm mercurial that way. HEE!

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 10/1/08 at 06:08 PM

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#21re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 6:16pm

LOL Jordangirl I love ATOTC. Seriosuly, been waiting for this one since right before the Sarasota premiere had been announced!

Sometimes Winston can be a bit of a "coolkid"...!

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#22re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 6:18pm

Gotcha! :)

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

PSLove302 Profile Photo
PSLove302
#23re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 7:12pm

Because Winston is obnoxious about it.

Whenver there is a negative post about TALE, he is there. to defend.

"I don't see that many plays, and for me, musicals are rarely pleasing. I feel the actors are being put through a kind of nightmarish labor. They're like animals being forced to pull heavy carts of vegetables at incredible speeds." --- Wallace Shawn

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#24re: Tale of Two Cities gets box office bump
Posted: 10/1/08 at 7:23pm

Robert, you're very articulate which helps a lot.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Videos