Tale of Two Cities Question

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#1Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 1:09pm

Hey guys,

I went to see ToTC on the first preview night, and I had a quick question about changes that have been made since. Did they cut the gravediggers' song "Resurrection Man" from the show before opening? I asked because I thought it stuck out like a sore thumb and ruined the pacing of the show, and thought it should have been.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#2re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 1:11pm

Yep, they cut it.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#2re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 1:13pm

Muchas gracias.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 1:50pm

They cut it while it was still in previews before the opening.

I had seen the show 3 times in previews and I know that over the course of the three times I had seen it there had been changes. But, they had been somewhat subtle because I couldn't figure out what they were. However, Resurrection Man was the most obvious one. I remember seeing the show for my third time and when they got to that scene thinking about how I would have to sit through that painful number again. Much to my surprise the cut it and I was happy that I didn't have to sit through it. It is a good show. However, Resurrection Man was the only major problem with it.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#4re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 2:31pm

Saw the show again last night for the 2nd time-- amazing !!!

All the pics (with "pull quotes) were up by the theatre..

After hearing Barbour sing "I Can't Recall" again, I really cant understand why they didnt use it in the TV spot.

Incredible !!!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#5re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 2:37pm

Going to see again tonight! Even though I've seen it twice already, I'm pretty excited. There must be something about this show because I don't normally see shows multiple times.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Testing1232
#6re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 3:10pm

I feel the same way (although, I do obsess, admittedly..LOL) about the show.. cant wait to go back !

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#7re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 3:23pm

I had recommended dropping "Resurrection Man" after seeing the show in Florida.

The song, itself, is enjoyable and well performed but didn't belong in the show. It could work in another show that had different pacing and tone.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Testing1232
#8re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 3:34pm

"Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind" comes out of leftfield a bit as well, but Toro just sings the heck out of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 3:59pm

Hmm. The concept CD is severely out of date with all of these cuts.

maddiem
#10re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 4:06pm

I'm a bit obsessed with the show myself.. going again next week I can't wait. I just loved the show and really loved James Barbour.

SillySara Profile Photo
SillySara
#11re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 4:57pm

i must say...i saw it for the first time last night and can't wait to go back. i am sucker for big productions and big voices. barbour's voice is such a gift. and i have been quite a fan of lazar since listening to "light in the piazza." love love love "tale of two cities." it's nice to see so much talent on one stage.

Testing1232
#12re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 6:25pm

Yay, Sara !!!

The 21st cant come soon enough !!

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#13re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 6:47pm

Caught the matinee today for my first viewing. I liked the big numbers, but nearly all of them came out of left field. I enjoyed myself, but objectively I must admit the whole thing was like someone's bad spoof of Les Miserables, only it was serious and on Broadway.

maddiem
#14re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/8/08 at 9:42pm

I loved les mis and i saw probably 11 times but I dont think this is anything like that.. I almost think i like this better because there are so many light moments in Tale unlike les mis. I laughed as much as I cried in Tale.

bwaybabe2
#15re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/9/08 at 3:50am

maddiem...agree! Tale is more of a love and family story, with the French Revolution in the background. The humor certainly counteracted the deeper scenes very nicely (nice surprise, in a show like this).
Only, I got to see it in previews, so I'm still hoping to get there before the end of year, or maybe beginning of 2009.
Yes, I do think it WILL still be there then, where it belongs, on Broadway re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Updated On: 10/10/08 at 03:50 AM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#16re: Tale of Two Cities Question
Posted: 10/9/08 at 5:14am

I disagree that this is a spoof of Les Miserables.

The numbers aren't really that bad and it is pulling in an audience despite the poor reviews. I think that this show will be around a lot longer then the posters on here thought it would.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Videos