pixeltracker

Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again- Page 4

Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again

jansal Profile Photo
jansal
#75re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 3:07am

Daphne Rubin-Vega as the witch. I have faith, she could totally do it.

vodkastinger Profile Photo
vodkastinger
#76re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 4:50am

The best total ensemble I could come up with...

Witch- Sherie Rene Scott
Narrator/Mysterious Man- John Lithgow
Baker's Wife- Carolee Carmello
The Baker- Daniel Evans
Cinderella- Jennifer Damiano
Cinderella's Prince/Wolf- Mark Kudisch
Rapunzel's Prince- Tom Hewitt
Jack's Mom- Kathy Najimy

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#77re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 5:28am

Ironically enough, Carolee Carmello was down to Final Callbacks for ITW Revival.

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

chiuptown
#78re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 7:12am

Kathy Najimy as Jack's mom... inspired

AndAllThatJazz22
#79re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 8:15am

I think Sherrie Rene Scott would be an excellent witch, but she doesn't do revivals.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#80re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 12:35pm

When are people going to realize that Julia Murney isn't as talented as she thinks she is?

actormcfamous
#81re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:07pm

Just a few leads/key roles:

The Witch: Audra McDonald
The Baker: Marc Kudish
The Baker's Wife: Jennifer Laura Thompson
Cinderella: Kelli O'Hara
Cinderella's Prince/Wolf: Cheyenne Jackson

Jon
#82re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:14pm

I would like to see a Baker and his Wife who are NOT pushing 50.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#83re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:17pm

Thompson is 39. She's hardly "pushing 50."

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#84re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:22pm

"Ironically enough, Carolee Carmello was down to Final Callbacks for ITW Revival."

I know. Apparently she was too similar to Gleason in Lapine's mind. So he got the boring Kerry O'Malley instead? I love Porter's "Last Midnight".

broadwayguy2
#85re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 3:02pm

BobbyBubby,
That sums up the main problem with the revival in one line - Lapine was too worried about being "different" than the original and not worried enough about just serving the piece. I am a firm believer that a director can have two very different vies of a show and excute them equally as well, but Lapine, as the libterrist, was TOO deeply ingrained in the creating and in formulating the piece, all resulting in that original staging, that he isn't a place to offer a wholey different, valid, and well executed view.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#86re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 4:48pm

What's with the revisionist history of everyone liking Laura Benanti in this production?
The revival was far from a mess. The reviews I read just shortly before seeing the show led me to believe it had been rebuilt to make Cinderella the star. It wasn't, of course, but Benanti gave a terrific performance. But the Baker, Baker's Wife, and Jack's Mother were far less effective. The set design was (I thought) quite brilliant although since then the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Ontario went one better with a stunning visual design for their 2005 production. (A shame THAT version could not have been taken to Broadway if only for a limited engagement.)

I don't think WOODS has as large an audience as people would think. It is not really a show for children but many adults assume it is because of the fairy tales.

Maybe the NYCO should give it a try?

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

vlegra
#87re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 5:54pm

Eamon Foley would be PERFECT for the role of Jack. It would be great to see a very talented teen on stage instead of adults faking their ways as children.

He was incredible in "Everyday Rapture".
Updated On: 8/8/09 at 05:54 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#88re: Into the Woods Revival: Let's Try This Again
Posted: 8/8/09 at 11:45pm

I wonder if "Into the woods" could ever be revived successfully, I get the impression it belongs in community theatres and on DVD.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Videos