News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop

Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 5:41pm

"Trey Parker and Matt Stone, creators of the hit TV series "South Park," are collaborating with Avenue Q Tony winner Bobby Lopez on a new musical about the Mormon faith.

The New York Post's Pop Wrap blog reports that the trio will workshop the musical, which is titled Mormon Musical.

Cheyenne Jackson, who has been cast in the workshop, told the Post, "It's hilarious - very acerbic and biting. It offends everybody but does what 'South Park' does best, which is by the end it comes around and has something great to say."

No official information has been announced about the Mormon Musical..."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/123416.html

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#2re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 6:23pm

I saw the name Jackson and Mormon Musical and I was just like, "Please be Cheyenne" so color me happy. Three of my favorite things: Cheyenne, South Park (the creators), and Mormons (as an idea). Brilliant.

sroderick2
#2re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 6:28pm

This could be amazing...yay for an original musical!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 6:31pm

I think that if they talk about the Mormons and their views on homosexuality I do hope that they have a very funny and rude upbeat song on the subject in a way that only they can do.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#4re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 6:33pm

Loving this idea.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#5re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 6:39pm

This from the BWW.com release:

MORMON MUSICAL is set to start rehearsals in December for a projected 2009 Broadway mounting.

Not sure if they mean the workshop and not rehearsals, but that makes it sound more definite. Either way, I rather trust Playbill.com's info.
Jackson is really hot right now, good for him.
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/CURIOSITY_Starring_Cheyenne_Jackson_Airs_on_Backdrop_NYCTV_October_29th_20010101

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Dollypop
#6re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 7:55pm

I really dislike musicals about Mormons.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#7re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 8:16pm

re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop

Oh, man, this is driving me CRAZY because I came across pictures of a show called 'UTAH! The Musical" on Facebook and now I can't find them.

This is as close as I could come:

From the outset, Tuacahn pursued a dual mission of providing quality arts education coupled with inspiring entertainment. The Center of the Arts provided instruction in music, dance, and drama, while the musical UTAH! debuted in the summer of 1995, rightly labeled as “America’s Most Spectacular Outdoor Musical,” complete with pyrotechnics, live animals, a massive cast, and a live re-creation of a flash flood, with over 60,000 gallons of water pouring across the stage.

UTAH! recounts the story of Jacob Hamblin, who was sent by renowned colonizer and Mormon leader Brigham Young to supervise the early settlements in Southern Utah. Jacob Hamblin made peace with the native Indian population, and to this day, his treaty with the local tribes stands as the single compact between white settlers and Native Americans that has never been broken. His story was reenacted for over 250,000 patrons over the course of three years.

More about it...

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#8re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 8:28pm

There's also this...

CAUTION: ADULTS ONLY!!!!
Mormon The Musical

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Updated On: 11/17/08 at 08:28 PM

LotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
#9re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 9:02pm

I hope they start being charged taxes! (They, as in the Mormon church)... this sounds great! I hope i can find out more and see if I can get into a reading!

I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#10re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 9:20pm

Oh my god, YES!!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#11re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 10:20pm

Matt. Trey. Bobby. Cheyenne.

It's all good.

withoutyou08
#12re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 10:43pm

matt and trey are my heroes this should kick some serious ass

what if susan blackwell hung out with boq, trekkie monster, the SOL soloist#2, and the piragua guy on a daily basis?

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#13re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 11:00pm

Oh my GOD! I knew that they'd been talking about doing this for several years, but I thought I heard recently that it was called off. I have every confidence that this is going to be a brilliant piece of musical theater. This automatically moves right to the top of my must see list!

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

dcl7777
#14re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/17/08 at 11:27pm

There actually is a REAL Mormon musical existed.And it was made into an unintentional hilarious film in 1989.Sadly,the only thing I can find about the film is this "trailer".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVASLtgUFp4

Linder Profile Photo
Linder
#15re: Jackson to Star in MORMON MUSICAL Workshop
Posted: 11/18/08 at 10:07am

This just made my day!

Videos