Liza's Show

TheatreLover76 Profile Photo
TheatreLover76
#1Liza's Show
Posted: 11/19/08 at 1:45pm

Is anyone going? Are tix selling well?
I'm excited about seeing her since I never have before. I guess she will only do evening shows? I'll try for a Sunday afternoon. I'm assuming she will not extend the show again for this run?

For a newbie like me, just curious to know what I should expect this show to be like. Haven't seen her in concert either, maybe on video once her twice. And I have Cabaret on dvd.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/19/08 at 2:24pm

I know that tickets sold well for the initial presale (Dec 3- Dec 14), but I have no clue how the extension (Dec 16- Dec 28 ) is selling.

I have never seen Liza performing live on stage, but from what my friends have told me, she will not be nearly as good as she was in Liza with a Z, but it will be good to see a living legend on stage. I am very excited to see LIZA'S AT THE PALACE, but I am not expecting her to be performing at the same level she did in 1972. She will be Liza and regardless of how well she does up on that stage, the audience will be applauding the legend that she is (and always will be).

I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable evening.
Updated On: 11/19/08 at 02:24 PM

travismoser
#2re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/19/08 at 2:32pm

Well, considering Liza was 26 at the time of "Liza with a Z" and she is now 62, of course she is not exactly the same. However, I've seen her live several times and she never disappoints and is always an amazing performer. In some instances, when she's really "on," it's almost like seeing her at her peak in the mid 70's.

WithoutATrace
#3re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/19/08 at 2:36pm

thanks for that bit of insight, travismoser. i certainly hope she is "on" for the three performances i'm seeing.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#4re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/19/08 at 2:40pm

I saw Liza about one year ago and had never seen her before. I was blown away by her continued ability to perform. The body looked amazing, she was in great voice, she danced and sweated her ass off. After all the gossip and rumors, I went in expecting to be disappointed. She far from disappointed and actually impressed me with the level at which she was "working" it. She is a veteran and knows how to pull out all the stops.

PS Her legs were to die for. :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

travismoser
#5re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/19/08 at 2:48pm

I totally agree, Bettyboy72. You really do have to see her live to appreciate her.

TheatreLover76 Profile Photo
TheatreLover76
#6re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/19/08 at 5:24pm

Great to know, thanks! I'll try to get a chance to go!

#7re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 11:38am

here is a Providence Journal review from last nights show...

http://www.projo.com/music/content/LIZAREV_11-20-08_T4CBKQ5_v7.3fe0240.html

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#8re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 11:47am

She tried the show out at a theater outside of Providence, Rhode Island last night and it was PHE-NOM-EN-Al! Her Kay Thompson set is thrilling and it was a delight to hear old favorites like, Cabaret, Maybe This Time, My Own Best Friend, and New York, New York. It was my first time seeing her live and she succeeded my wildest expectations. Girl's still got it!

New York is in for a hell of a show!

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

#9re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 11:51am

did she include the seven minute tribute to her mother... I think it was mentioned in the broadway.com press video.

WithoutATrace
#10re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 11:52am

Fantastic news. I'm so glad she is getting positive buzz from Providence!

#11re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 11:53am

I hope you enjoy the show WAT... she is amazing!!!
Updated On: 11/20/08 at 11:53 AM

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#12re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 11:53am

Really looking forward to this!

Quick question: Have those of you who have ordered tickets gotten them in the mail yet? I haven't, and it seems a little laggy even for Ticketmaster, considering it's less than two weeks away.

WithoutATrace
#13re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 12:01pm

nypj: thanks. i'm sure the show will be wonderful. i hope you enjoy it too when you see it!

calvin: haven't gotten the tickets in the mail yet, but not worried at all. I still have my email confirmations and everything. i'm sure the tickets will be printed and arrive soon though...the show is less than a month away!

Is the marquee up yet at the Palace?
Updated On: 11/20/08 at 12:01 PM

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#14re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 12:05pm

Cool. Ticketmaster usually sends a notice when the tickets are printed and mailed, and besides, they can also reprint the day of if there's a mishap.

Two weeks from yesterday to be precise! re: Liza's Show

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#15re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 1:02pm

The show that she will be performing at the Palace is the one she has been touring the country with for the psat 2 years. I saw her last October at the Morristown Performing Arts Center in NJ and her material is fantastic. She looked wonderful and her voice was in great condition. I think she knows herself well enough to know what kind of schedule she can handle. I am very excited to see her at the Palace in December!

On a side note, I think it's ridiculous to compare a performer to one single performance they gave practically 30 years ago. To hold them to that high standard is not realistic.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#16re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 1:58pm

We're going on 12/6...and I am VERY excited. I've been so slammed having to work a ton of extra that I am having severe theater withdrawel, so 12/6 can't get here soon enough! I'm thrilled that there is good buzz as well. I have not gotten our tickets yet either, and was starting to wonder if I should be concerned. The last time I saw Liza was when I was volunteering for The Names Project and the quilt was on display in DC back in 10/96. She spoke at a candelight vigel in front of the Lincoln Memorial and sang "The Day After That" from Kiss of the Spider Woman. I can't wait to hear "Maybe This Time"!

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#17re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 2:09pm

A friend of mine was just invited to the final dress rehearsal and he already has tickets for a few days after.

Just give the world Love.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#18re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 3:26pm

I might grab a ticket to her show this weekend in Woonsocket, RI!

J*

Hank
#19re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 5:20pm

Wowed them in Woonsocket, just 59 miles from Westerly! Sorry, I just can't help making those RI jokes. (I really love that state)
Anyway, I can't wait to see her here at the Palace.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#20re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 5:46pm

Just bought tixs for this Saturday at Stadium Theater in Woonsocket, RI. Do you guys have the list of her songs from the concert?

Old Friends, Cabaret, Maybe this Time, My Own Best Friend & New York, New York..

what else?

Thanks

J*

Updated On: 11/20/08 at 05:46 PM

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#21re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 6:11pm

I'll be there on December 5. Does anyone know if she'll do the stage door?
Updated On: 11/20/08 at 06:11 PM

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#22re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/20/08 at 6:52pm

I would go to the stage door anyways. She has to get out of the theater somehow and just to see her upclose would be awesome!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#23re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/21/08 at 12:45am

I have to agree with everyone on here, if you have a chance to see this, then by all means, go.

I saw her during this current tour last spring in Ft. Worth and she was absolutely amazing, one of the most entertaining concerts I've seen in a very long time. This was the 3rd time I had seen her live (the first time being in the mid-80's) and she still lights up a stage just as brightly as she ever has. She is just an incredible talent, and the enjoyment that she has for what she does is so palpable. It is truly something that you must witness live. Sadly, there's very few like her left.

#24re: Liza's Show
Posted: 11/21/08 at 2:33pm

here is another review from her Woonsocket concert...

http://www.woonsocketcall.com/content/view/60762/112/

Videos