Thanks to Mel Brooks

WishingOnlyWounds2
#25re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:05pm

Again, Beauty and The Beast and Lion King

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

broadwayboy101
#26re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:05pm

Did you really just say that Mel Brooks was creative by bringing his already created material from films and merely putting it on a stage instead?

Dollypop
#27re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:07pm

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN (1950's) was based on a novel and a film.

SWEET CHARITY was based on a Fellini movie called NIGHTS OF CABRIA. NINE was based on Fellinii's 8 1/2.

Geeze, even THE SOUND OF MUSIC was based on a film called "The Von Trapp Family Singers"

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#28re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:07pm

Sorry, but I need to respond again...

You are right The Producers was a happy awaking at a "down" time on Bway... But it wasn't the Messiah of theatre. I decided to look at a list of Broadway's longest running musicals (below) and numbers 6-10 all opened in the 90's and ran through the opening of The Producers.

I love the show, but I don't think Mel Brooks did anything to make a "dent in Broadway history" except write a really smart, tight and, what I would even call, a close to flawless show. But as of today, he is nothing more than a "Broadway one-hit-wonder"

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#29re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:08pm

thank you Mel Brooks for pushing little old ladies to get tickets

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#30re: Thanks to Mel Brooks

mc1227, How many of the "popular" stage adaptations that you say Mel Brooks inspired actually made their money back.. let alone a profit?

What great ones do the less will prattle of

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#31re: Thanks to Mel Brooks

Yes, I believe that writing songs and dialogue for a musical adapted from a film constitutes creativity.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#32re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:09pm

Sorry forgot to include the link as I mentioned above...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0153671.html

broadwayboy101
#33re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:11pm

The dialogue is out of the film for the most part.

BigFatBlonde
#34re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:11pm

Has HAIRSPRAY already passed the run of THE PRODUCERS?

Updated On: 11/23/08 at 11:11 PM

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#35re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:14pm

GOOD! because Hairspray made more of an impact on broadway than THe Producers

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#36re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:15pm

Nice call BigFatBlonde - Good eye!!! lol

Dollypop
#37re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:19pm

I'm going to ignore mc1227 from now on. It's obvious this poor child has the IQ of a cupcake.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

pab Profile Photo
pab
#38re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:19pm

So far Hairspray has had just under 100 more performances than The Producers and they have the rest of November and the month of December to go before they close.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#39re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:20pm

I never stated it was the Messiah of theatre. I just said that I believe that it paved the way for a musical theatre comeback and because of it's success, other shows were created and funded that might not have been created otherwise. I don't know how many investors, who Stephen Schwartz got his funding from, what other shows ran concurrently with it etc. I really don't care. I'm speaking about a feeling, a memory, of a time when theatre was down, much like it is now. None of the other shows created the feeling and reaction like The Producers did. It brought many people back to theatre. for that, I thank Mel Brooks.
Hopefully, there will be another show on the horizon that will have the same effect. Until then, we will always have the memories of Footloose and Big.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

BigFatBlonde
#40re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:30pm

"I don't know how many investors, who Stephen Schwartz got his funding from, what other shows ran concurrently with it etc. I really don't care."

But... you also say...

"With it's achievements, it opened many purse strings that made subsequent productions (including Wicked) possible."

So please tell me... How do you back up that statement?

How do you know that WICKED wouldn't have been produced if Mel Brooks hadn't adapted THE PRODUCERS for the stage?

pab Profile Photo
pab
#41re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:33pm

"With it's achievements, it opened many purse strings that made subsequent productions (including Wicked) possible."

You do understand that the workshop for Wicked happened in the same year that The Producers opened. If The Producers never happened it would not have stopped Wicked from taking place. I enjoyed The Producers but the credit given to it, IMO, is a bit overstated.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 11/23/08 at 11:33 PM

broadwayboy101
#42re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:34pm

This is about to turn into a discussion about the butterfly effect...brace yourselves...

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#43re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:43pm

They are going to start calling it Brooksway.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#44re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:45pm

While I think The Producers and Young Frankenstein are enjoyable musical comedies, the inevitable fate of YF was decided once Brooks started boasting and bragging in the press. I guarantee you if Brooks kept his mouth shut, if the grosses were posted, and the absurd premium pricing never created, Young Frankenstein would have opened to positive reviews and still packing audiences in. This is Brooks' doing.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

bossbear062
#45re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:45pm

"I don't think Mel Brooks did anything to make a "dent in Broadway history"

umm that could be argued...i think the producers did make a dent bway history...13 tony's..matthew and nathan together..$300 tixs...Susan's choreography...a shpw that bought people back to the bway after 9-11

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#46re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:55pm

Before you post something please THINK first or at least do some research. Then WE won't have to tell you that you are wrong... :)

"The Full Monty" opened on Broadway in 2000, which, last time I checked wasn't in the 1990s. Way to go on that research there, slick. re: Thanks to Mel Brooks

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#47re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:58pm

12 Tony Awards, bossbear, not 13.

BigFatBlonde
#48re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/23/08 at 11:58pm

What was historic about Susan Stroman's choreography?

What was historic about Lane and Broderick on stage together?
- aside from their "return" salary.

Updated On: 11/24/08 at 11:58 PM

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#49re: Thanks to Mel Brooks
Posted: 11/24/08 at 12:03am

touche TheActr97J:

I was actually going to change the 90's to the "previous decade" so I wouldn't get "caught" but I decided that it was easier the other way and i didn't think anyone would catch that... good job, you're right, but we can assume that since "The Full Monty" opened June 1, 2000 that it was completely and likely about to start casting at the end of December 1999. But, yes you are right, it did open in 2000.

Videos