Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt

Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#1Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 11/30/08 at 1:20pm

Better or worse than in the movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x16qmzImAxQ

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

SporkGoddess
#2re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 11/30/08 at 1:26pm

Wow, she's actually improved a lot. If she'd sounded like that in the movie, I wouldn't have complained as much.

Though: she's sliding up to the note and it's not even a Bb5--it's an A5. Apparently she ignored the C6, which is usually part of the cadenza (IIRC).

Edit: Rewatching, noticed two more things:
1) Singing the cadenza on an "ee" vowel is cheating
2) She acts like Kristin Chenoweth does during her high note in Candide... only that was an Eb6, not an A5

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 11/30/08 at 01:26 PM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#2re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/22/08 at 10:39pm

I think this is the best I've ever heard her sound

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

SporkGoddess
#3re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/22/08 at 11:30pm

Not bad. Training has definitely benefitted her.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/22/08 at 11:31pm

Nice job! Time has been kind!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Winston3
#5re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/22/08 at 11:47pm

I also think that in the movie they used computers to fix any flaws in the singing (or so I have been told) because I just finished watching the Phantom movie and after re watching it the cadenza on Think Of Me sounded a bit computerized.

Goodbye Sister Disco

SporkGoddess
#6re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/22/08 at 11:57pm

They did. Especially the title song cadenza.

Jazzysuite82
#7re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 12:08am

Sure that was better I guess, but she sounds like a work in progress. I know high school girls who sound just like that. I think she needs to give up trying to sing classically. I think she should train classically and sing in a different style because it doesn't suit her. AT ALL.

Songsstresss Profile Photo
Songsstresss
#8re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 12:18am

Better but totally not the right key. That's supossed to be a high C. She was not even close. I don't have a piano around but that had to be like an A or something.

Plum
#9re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 12:20am

Whatever her high note was, I could hit it pretty easily. And as a general rule, if I can hit a note, it's not that high. (I'm an Alto 2.)

SporkGoddess
#10re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 12:54am

The ToM cadenza note? That was an A5, like I said earlier. Every soprano has one of those.

Also, she slid up to it and used an "ee" vowel, both of which are considered cheating.

Updated On: 12/23/08 at 12:54 AM

outdamnwench
#11re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 1:43am

Jesus give the girl a break. Its a freaking talk show!!

Plum
#12re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 1:47am

What? I thought it sounded perfectly nice.

outdamnwench
#13re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 1:51am

Its more the people who say she's cheating and that she's in the wrong key.

I think im just sick of people ripping apart her performance in the movie. It annoys me when people judge based on range.

Jazzysuite82
#14re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 1:59am

lol Ummm well when the role's an operatic soprano who's apparantly better than the Prima Donna, I think it's a pretty big deal.

I mean it's like casting Johnny Knoxville in Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet and saying "Give him a break. I hate when people judge based on acting range."

My thing is, if you don't have the range (acting or vocal), then you shouldn't be doing it.

Also remember most people are saying she sounds BETTER than her film performance...That's kind of a compliment. Although one I'd never want to get.

Songsstresss Profile Photo
Songsstresss
#15re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 2:49am

In the actual production, Christine's note at the end of ToM is a C. In the vocal selections, they lowered the key and the high note is an A or something like that. Emmy was singing the lower key. That's all I'm sayin.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile Photo
ScottyDoesn'tKnow
#16re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 5:54am

I think im just sick of people ripping apart her performance in the movie. It annoys me when people judge based on range.

Fine. I hated that she whispered throughout that whole movie and made her very boring character even more boring and useless. There.

"[Gore] was widely perceived as arrogant. If you know something, you're not smart. You're a smarty-pants. It's annoying. People get annoyed with your knowledge. It goes back to high school, to not doing your homework ... 'There's something I should know, I don't know why I should know it but someone knows it and I don't. So I'm going to have to make fun of him now.'" -Sarah Vowell, The Partly-Cloudy Patriot

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#17re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 7:27am

I thought she did great in the movie, her acting was fine and she came across as very sweet and vulnerable (something i have never seen in the stage show)
Her range was not broadway standards, but guess what, it was not Broadway, when Hollywood actors do film musicals people on here are to quick to jump on them (i would love to see them do better)

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#18re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 8:08am

She is a very fun, beautiful, sweet andf talented young woman. I wish her well in all she does.

MUCH improved and still growing... the way every performer should be at any stage in their career.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#19re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 11:33am

(i would love to see them do better)

Let me guess -- you also feel that unless one has a dental degree they can't complain about their dentist, nor should one complain about a building unless they're an architect?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

SporkGoddess
#20re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 11:54am

Honestly, I fully believe that I could have done better than Emmy Rossum in the movie. It isn't hard.

Granted, people would still have had complaints, I'm sure.

And of course we're judging based on range. Christine needs a sustained E6. If you don't have that, don't sing the part. Emmy Rossum struggled even with B5 in the film. Of course, I also blame ALW and Joel Schumacher for casting her.

Usnavi Profile Photo
Usnavi
#21re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 12:22pm

oh no i hated it the pizicatos are too andante.
Updated On: 12/23/08 at 12:22 PM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#22re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 2:06pm

Who would you have cast, SG?

SporkGoddess
#23re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 2:49pm

Tough call. I'm a big proponent of dubbing, personally. re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt

I would have gone with an unknown, probably. It's not like Emmy Rossum was that famous.

grnsmwhr Profile Photo
grnsmwhr
#24re: Emmy Rossum sings (a version of) the ToM cadenza on Bonnie Hunt
Posted: 12/23/08 at 3:07pm

Dubbing would have been good. I loved her look in the movie. I think I'm alone in that I loved the movie, the visuals of it.

You see, obsessions are very personal things, they come from deep inside us, where we are open and vulnerable, which is why I consider them sacred, not to be belittled....PalJoey