What Annie Do you Like?

#25re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 5:22am

"re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted On: 12/6/08 at 11:44 PM

But wasn't Carol Burnett wrong for Hannigan? Like Lucille Ball in "Mame." It should have been great, but wasn't.
"

Is that a common held belief? i can't see how she ever could be bettered!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#26re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 7:57am

The London production with Sheila Hancock. The orchestrations for this production are fantastic.

NY_Broadway2 Profile Photo
NY_Broadway2
#27re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 8:54am

I've never seen the TV remake. I'm thinking about just buying it though. How was Audra McDonald?

If you hide from yourself, be someone else for someone else's sake, that would be the greatest mistake - bare

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#28re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 10:29am

Since I think the theatrical film version of Annie is among the top 10 worst films ever made, the Disney version wins, hands down! Nothing touches the original Broadway version, though.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#29re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 10:37am

Audra's good and she gets a sweet reprise of "Tomorrow," but she looks like she has the hands of a giantess.

Has "We'd Like to Thank You Herbert Hoover" been officially cut from the stage production?

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#30re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 10:38am

Annie (1982) on the list of the top 10 worst movies ever made? What list are you talking about, there are 100s of movies that are worse. Annie (1982) while not very faithful to the musical, is faithful to the comic strip and tried to be it's own rather than just be the stage show on screen. It is a great film, the choreography is great, you cannot beat the cast. It may be a bit overblown, but who cares. The 1999 TV remake was dull, lackluster, and even though Audra MacDonald is an amazing performer, I think she was miscast as Grace Farrell. Carol Burnett is spectacular as Miss Hannigan. And I do enjoy "Let's go to the Movies" and "Sign" even though they are not original songs.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

husk_charmer
#31re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 11:06am

^ I think they meant their personal top 10 list.

One of my favorite parts in Annie is when Geoffery Holder flies in on the autocopter to save Annie from Tim Curry, much like he saved The Wiz during it's out of town tryouts.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

blondebaby589 Profile Photo
blondebaby589
#32re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 12:09pm

I also must disagree with anyone who says that Carol Burnett is wrong for Hannigan. I think she was perfect for it. And I prefer the 1982 movie to any other film version OR stage version. It's one of the very few on my list (another one being Grease), but I find the stage version just plain boring.

www.tinydancer5.tumblr.com

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#33re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 12:15pm

I was probably about 5 years old when I saw the 1982 version of Annie, and I LOVED it. I watched it so many times during my childhood, and I know all of the songs by heart and most of the dialogue. I've never seen the stage version, so I've never really been aware what was changed and what wasn't. I watched and enjoyed the remake but I think I'll always like the original movie better, just because it was the first one I saw and I loved it so much.
Updated On: 12/10/08 at 12:15 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile Photo
ScottyDoesn'tKnow
#34re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 12:23pm

I thought the 1982 version was pretty horrid and way overblown. In the "Hard-Knock Life" number, yeah all the acrobatics was impressive, but why were there so many orphans and where did they go after that number? And how could there be no real "Tomorrow" number? I don't think having Annie, Daddy Warbucks, FDR, and Eleanor Roosevelt sing it for comic relief was really what the song was intended for.

The worst part was Aileen Quinn...I mean Annie is smart, but she's not obnoxious. I thought Alicia Morton was much better as she got Annie's charm and humor but also didn't forget that she was still a little girl.

Burnett as Miss Hannigan really ANNOYED me and it took me a while to get over Albert Finney's portrayal of Daddy Warbucks and Ann Reiking's doormat version of Grace.

Plus, Rooster trying to KILL Annie? WTF? What a horrible way to end the movie.

"[Gore] was widely perceived as arrogant. If you know something, you're not smart. You're a smarty-pants. It's annoying. People get annoyed with your knowledge. It goes back to high school, to not doing your homework ... 'There's something I should know, I don't know why I should know it but someone knows it and I don't. So I'm going to have to make fun of him now.'" -Sarah Vowell, The Partly-Cloudy Patriot

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#35re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 12:52pm

To me, no one else comes close to the perfection of Albert Finney as Daddy Warbucks.

He's simply perfect.

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#36re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 1:18pm

H. Higgins, I agree. And I never found Aileen Quinn's performance of Annie annoying at all. Even major critics say she gave an appealing performance.

Don't forget that Rooster is an ex-convict and it does feel appropriate that he would attack Annie (remember he clearly says before "Easy Street" that they would drop her in the river after they get the money).

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

Madcap Maisie Profile Photo
Madcap Maisie
#37re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 2:25pm

Herbert Hoover is still in the stage version...one of the best numbers in the show IMHO.

and what abeout that wreck...Annie goes to london....

that was TERRIBLE

"You know what really makes me mad? When girls think they can sing just because they are on the Disney Channel."

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#38re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 2:30pm

We've had this discussion before. I think how you feel about the 1982 film version of Annie has everything to do with how old you were when you first saw it. If you were an adult, you most-likely hated it. If you were a child, you most-likely loved it. My hatred of it has nothing to do with a comparison to its Broadway counterpart. Films are a completely different medium and shows should be altered to compensate for that medium. I hate the film Annie, because I think it is embarrassingly bad. Aileen Quinn is the only person I like in it. The less said about Grace and Punjab, the better.

Madcap Maisie Profile Photo
Madcap Maisie
#39re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 2:41pm

I saw the 1982 version when I was very young, and fell in love with It. I loved Bernadette Peters and Eileen Quinn. i also like the disney version last year bc I was in Annie as Lily and my director wanted me to base my character off of chenos. My favorite part of that movie was the little girls reprise at the end when hannigan is going off to the psych ward.

"You know what really makes me mad? When girls think they can sing just because they are on the Disney Channel."

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#40re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 2:47pm

This was my first movie/musical. I loved it as a child. Some of my favorite people appear in both versions. I love both in different ways.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#41re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 3:11pm

Since I think the theatrical film version of Annie is among the top 10 worst films ever made

If you rank it in your top 10 worst with Moulin Rouge, then the film must be a lot better than I remember. I admit, I haven't watched it in a very long time.

I love most of the 1982 cast, and some of the production numbers. But the adaptation of the 1999 TV version was far superior. I love Kathy Bates, but her Miss Hannigan was absolutely dull.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#42re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 3:13pm

I loved the 1999 version.

I wonder what's become of Alicia Morton? She be going on about 21 years old now.
Updated On: 12/10/08 at 03:13 PM

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#43re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 5:27pm

I love Kathy Bates, but her Miss Hannigan was absolutely dull.

And Carol Burnett's was nothing but drunk. That's why Dorothy Loudon's performance remains definitive.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#44re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 9:59pm

ANNIE without "A New Deal for Christmas" just isn't ANNIE.

Annie without "Tomorrow" isn't Annie. What a stupid decision. If you don't like the signature song, don't direct the movie.

I think how you feel about the 1982 film version of Annie has everything to do with how old you were when you first saw it.

I think it has more to do with whether or not it was your first Annie experience. I saw it onstage first, so I hated the '82 movie. When this has been discussed before, many people who saw the movie before the show preferred the movie.

Original thread with bonus drama:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=957637&boardname=bway&boardid=2

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

colorandlight2
#45re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 10:08pm

I'm a huge fan of the 1999 remake, especially Audra, Victor Garber, and the orphans. Although, I do miss the Herbert Hoover number which is one of my favorites in the stage production!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#46re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/10/08 at 11:49pm

Where's Aileen Quinn these days?
Last time I saw her was on stage, years ago, in the chorus of 'Peter Pan' in Boston- maybe 10/12 years ago!

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#47re: What Annie Do you Like?
Posted: 12/11/08 at 3:44am

Ann Reinking's "doormat version of Grace?" You just broke my heart...

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

Videos