Judy and Me

BwayDva29
#1Judy and Me
Posted: 12/11/08 at 11:35pm

So yesterday, I saw a wonderful, beautiful, touching show called "Judy and Me". It's an off-Broadway show, written by and starring Peter Mac.

The show is basically about a young, gay man living in Long Island with his abusive father, and loving mother. He's beaten at school, and he really has nobody except his best friend, his mother-and Judy Garland. With Judy's help, Peter's inspired character Anthony Castellano gets through his dark tunnel to a much brighter, and happier other side.

I absolutely recommend this show. Not for a long time has a show spoken to me so loudly, or moved me to tears, both happy and sad so fast. The show is playing at the St. Luke's Theatre on 46th and 8th.

Hurry and see it before it closes on December 14th!
Official Web Site

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/11/08 at 11:36pm

Oh Lord.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 12:07am

A little nudity would have helped.

BwayDva29
#3re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 12:08am

did you see the show?

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#4re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 12:11am

this is on the off-topic board too.

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

BwayDva29
#5re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 12:15am

I know..I didnt kno what board it would qualify for.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#6re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 7:03am

I can see your confustration since the SHILL BOARD was shut down because of too much traffic.

PEACE.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 10:19am

Didn't they murder the last shill for this show?

re: Judy and Me

BwayDva29
#8re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 11:03am

excuse me? What's that supposed to mean? This is the first time I've posted on this message board, and I'd appreciate it if I'm not called stupid on my first post.

I happen to know both the playwrite and the producer of this show, and I offered to help. If you don't have anything nice to say about the show-fine. But don't you dare attack ME because I don't know where to post something.

BrodyFosse123
#9re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 11:19am

I happen to know both the playwrite and the producer of this show, and I offered to help.

re: Judy and Me

BwayDva29
#10re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 11:33am

I'm sorry..what is that supposed to mean? I came on here and posted something innocent for a friend and instead it became an attack against me.

BwayDva29
#11re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 11:33am

I'm sorry..what is that supposed to mean? I came on here and posted something innocent for a friend and instead it became an attack against me.

BrodyFosse123
#12re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 11:51am

Here you go, ever-so clueless one... the definition of a 'shill', which is what you are.

A shill is a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.

'Nuff said... AND you learned something new today.

BwayDva29
#13re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 12:09pm

Just go see the show. And, for the record, there's nothing wrong with helping friends out... Just thought I'd point that out.

BwayDva29
#14re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 12:09pm

Just go see the show. And, for the record, there's nothing wrong with helping friends out... Just thought I'd point that out.

BrodyFosse123
#15re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 12:23pm

You should have just said so instead of posting this post. The entire thing just makes me cringe with its 'shillness'. Instead of doing your 'friends' a favor and being fully honest, you chose this 'shill' route and look how it backfired.

So yesterday, I saw a wonderful, beautiful, touching show called "Judy and Me". It's an off-Broadway show, written by and starring Peter Mac.

The show is basically about a young, gay man living in Long Island with his abusive father, and loving mother. He's beaten at school, and he really has nobody except his best friend, his mother-and Judy Garland. With Judy's help, Peter's inspired character Anthony Castellano gets through his dark tunnel to a much brighter, and happier other side.

I absolutely recommend this show. Not for a long time has a show spoken to me so loudly, or moved me to tears, both happy and sad so fast. The show is playing at the St. Luke's Theatre on 46th and 8th.

Hurry and see it before it closes on December 14th!

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#16re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 12:29pm

The show stinks! Here's a portion of the review that the producer is so angry about, but unforunately it is spot on:

"Unfortunately, Mac looks, sounds and acts nothing like Garland (easily the greatest entertainer of the twentieth century) despite wearing an endless series of garish costumes and warbling a couple of Garland's signature songs. In this incredibly amateurish production of a potentially universal story, Mac's writing embraces every cliche of ˜coming out" in ways tedious and offensive. It also lacks talent and ingenuity .... It's one thing to charge ten or fifteen dollars to perform for friends and family at a cabaret like Rose's Turn or an off-off-Broadway venue like The Producers Club (Judy and Me played both venues early on). It's quite another to rent an off-Broadway theatre and charge $55 dollars from the public for what is, essentialy, an embarrassment."

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#17re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 1:29pm

And how the producer of this schlock went on and on at ATC about how he sunk and lost all his money on this. People really need to stop producing these vanity pieces. This is so reminiscent of the well intentioned, but totally misguided, "Fabulous Divas of Broadway" which appeared at the same theater.

Be careful what you wish for. That show was reviewed by many more publications and they all said the same thing (and weren't too nice about it either).

yeah
#18re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 2:51pm

Maybe this is the kind of PR the producers are insulting in their "closing notices?" They should try something other than having friends, cast, and crew write "reviews" on this board.

It's just embarrassing and silly at this point.

BwayDva29
#19re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 3:59pm

Seeing as how I can almost put money on the fact that none of you have actually seen the show, I don't think it's fair to pass such harsh judgement on it.

And, honestly-would you have REALLY listened to anything I had to say if I just came out and said 'I'm helping my friends..go see their awesome show!'? No. You wouldn't have, I didn't just fall off the back of the truck this morning, so I know how these message boards work. As soon as you say the word 'friend' its all of a sudden favoritism. So, instead of doing that, I took the diplomatic angle and just plugged the show, like I would do to any show that touched my heart the way this beautiful show did.

And you know what else? I think its rediculous that I'm sitting here, ARGUING about such a wonderful show that none of you have even had the DECENCY to go look at their official website for to make your own judgements. Instead, you sit here and listen to the narrow-minded opinions of critics that wouldn't know a good show if it bit them on the ass.

I don't care what you think about me, I could give a damn. But don't pass judgement on this show until you either go check it out for yourself (Before Sunday), or check out their website and look at the pictures, and check out the youtube stuff. After you've done all of that-I'll listen to your opinions. Until then, I don't give a damn what you think, because it's an uneducated opinion based on nothing but skepticism and critics.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#20re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 4:09pm

Dva29, honey, I actually saw Judy and Me and The Fabulous Divas of Broadway and stand by what I say.

BwayDva29
#21re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 4:15pm

I apologize to you then. If you've seen the show,and this is the opinion you've formed after the fact, then you have a right to your opinion. I'm just glad you went to see the show then :P.

yeah
#22re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 4:26pm

Your heated reply makes it seem like you care, despite your claims to the contrary.

For me, personally, I can't even stand to listen to another singer sing a Judy Garland song. Is that strange of me, yes, it sure is. However, whenever Patti LaBelle, Tori Amos, Eden Espinosa, or anyone else sings "Over The Rainbow," it just doesn't sit well with me. So, I was never going to sit through this show. However, I checked out the website and was embarrassed for all involved at what I saw. Then, when I read there was hardly a director, that they hired "actors" with little to no experience for that stage, and when I saw the photos of the Judy Garland impersonator, I need not waste my money to know I won't like the show. Then came the obnoxious "reviews" from people IN the show, just trying to drum up business (much like your initial post). Then, for me, the coup de grace was when the Producer, in a statement about this show closing (as if it was a surprise) blames the PR team. Give me a break.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#23re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 4:58pm

BwayDva ... I saw Judy and Me and thought it was a big waste of my time. Thank goodness I got comped, because it wasn't worth a nickel.

PiraguaGuy2
#24re: Judy and Me
Posted: 12/12/08 at 5:00pm

YOU'RE ALL HOMOPHOBES

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Videos