pixeltracker

In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?

In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?

aussieskates
#1In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:43pm

Hi guys,

Any suggestions as to what I should see when I am in NYC.

I'll be in town from Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009.

Would love to check out Avenue Q, Pal Joey, Shrek, and maybe Jersey Boys, In The Heights, and Dust.

I've signed up for Theatremania and Playbill to access discount tix, and will scan the daily lotteries and half tix booths also.

Help me out here if you can.

Cheers for now.

Nick

PiraguaGuy2
#2re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:45pm

In the Heights, Shrek, Billy Elliot, Gypsy

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#2re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:48pm

Definitely Avenue Q

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#3re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:49pm

Ave Q, Billy Elliot, and Shrek!

dapperchapper
#4re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:54pm

I would definitely see SOUTH PACIFIC. Even though Paul is out at the moment, the replacement is great and the rest of the cast is just incredible as well. You shouldn't miss it.

Also, I would say Gypsy, In the Heights, Billy Elliot, Avenue Q. (in that order)

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#5re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:56pm

I'll be there around the same time as you (Jan 30 - Feb 5) and this my schedule: Pal Joey, A Final Night with George W. Bush, Jersey Boys, South Pacific, The Story Of My Life, Mamma Mia, South Pacific, In The Heights and possibly Shrek or a Guys & Dolls preview.

I hope this gives you some ideas. :) Just waiting for tickets to go on sale for some of these shows.

dapperchapper
#6re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 2:02pm

I did the ticket lottery for In the Heights, and won (!!), so I would recommend trying that. Also, I used a code someone posted here on the boards for Gypsy, and I got two second row seats for $50 each. They were better than the first row student rush seats that are $27, and I didn't have to wait in line!

aussieskates
#7re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 2:04pm

Oooh...these are all great suggestions.

I've already seen Billy Elliot in Sydney, Australia. But Gypsy with Patti LaPone would be something else. South Pacific sounds wonderful as well.

Looks like I could see a show a day.

Thank you for all of your help!

Cheers
Nick

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#8re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 2:12pm

I'd try IN THE HEIGHTS and GYPSY for sure.

JERSEY BOYS is very difficult to get tickets to...SHREK is, I hear, mediocre at best..., check out GUYS & DOLLS if you can (it hasn't started performances but it's a classic musical).

SOUTH PACIFIC is fantastic but I've heard many people complain it is too slow (which I can't say theyre 100% wrong about...it does drag at points).

Have an amazing time no matter what you decide to see! There's a lot on Broadway right now that is worth running out to get tickets to, despite all the closings and cancellations of upcoming shows.

dapperchapper
#9re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 2:15pm

South Pacific is long, but I have to say, when I saw it, the show FLEW by. The actos really wrap you into the story and you don't realize how long it is. At least that is what happened with me. Even if you feel it drags a bit, it is still a MUST-SEE.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#10re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 2:28pm

Nice to see that you have an off-Broadway show on your list! I always try to see a few off-Broadawy shows when I am there.

Just give the world Love.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#11re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 2:31pm

Yes, do check out off-broadway as well. HOME at the Signature recently received raves and at $20 a ticket, that's a bargain. I also caught WOMEN BEWARE WOMEN at Red Bull which was a raucous, well-acted black comic treat.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#12re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 2:41pm

I haven't been back there in a year, so the only off-Broadway show I can recommend is Fuerzabruta. I had so much fun at the show.

wonkit
#13re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:42pm

Well, so much for seeing GYPSY...

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#14re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 10:43pm

Forbidden Broadway. Billy Elliot. Avenue Q.

South Pacific.
Enjoy.
If you can get in earlier I would also suggest:
Spring Awakening, Gypsy and Hairspray.
Sad that all these fantastic shows are closing. Updated On: 12/14/08 at 10:43 PM

Dollypop
#15re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:09pm

What should you see?

The way things are going, you should see whatever's left!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#16re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:14pm

Dolly, I think you hit that nail on the head with a Stanley hammer!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#17re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:40pm

Rave review for WOMEN BEWARE WOMEN

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

flossie2
#18re: In NYC Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2009...What should I see?
Posted: 12/15/08 at 1:49pm

South Pacific. I believe that is the week Paolo returns to the show. Buy your tickets now or it might be sold out when you get here.

Videos