pixeltracker

"High mercury levels" force Piven out of SPEED-THE-PLOW- Page 6

"High mercury levels" force Piven out of SPEED-THE-PLOW

Morgaine885
#125piven out; everyone else inside radcliffe
Posted: 12/18/08 at 6:38pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/19/theater/19pive.html?_r=1&ref=theater

Seems like he's been trying to get out of the show for a while...sheesh...was he telling the producers that he had dangerous mercury levels back then???

And very interesting that he was trying to find his own replacement...must have been really desperate to get out of there.

I say onward and upward...Macy and Butz will be awesome.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#128piven out; everyone else inside radcliffe
Posted: 12/18/08 at 6:56pm

It might be an occurence of Dean Jones syndrome.

Poster Emeritus

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#129One heck of a fish story
Posted: 12/18/08 at 7:27pm

At least the NYTimes is starting to dig towards the bottom of this farce and separate the truth from the obfuscations. I'm sure all the icky details will come out eventually.

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

Chrysanthemum62001
#130One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/18/08 at 8:02pm

I wish him well, but certainly not a trip back to Broadway. I think he got more than he bargained for, and as far as I'm concerned, he can stick to the west coast.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Yankeefan007
#131One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/18/08 at 8:13pm

Jeffrey Richards is his own publicist. It's no shocker that he already did an interview; I'm surprised it took so long.

Piven must have been miserable if he was actually looking for his own replacement.

bestinshow2 Profile Photo
bestinshow2
#132One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/18/08 at 8:15pm

Interview with Dr. Carlin on WebMD:

http://www.webmd.com/news/20081218/jeremy-pivens-high-mercury-count?src=RSS_PUBLIC

"My name's Lenny. What's yours?"

Kevn520 Profile Photo
Kevn520
#133One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/18/08 at 8:32pm

Ew. Who eats sushi twice a day willingly?

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#134One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/18/08 at 8:56pm

Um, he was hospitalized for three days? Obviously Dr Quack-- er, Colker doesn't know much about a Broadway performance schedule. Jeremy hadn't missed a performance until Tuesday. He did the show Sunday afternoon, and was back in LA on Wednesday.

So when in that time span was he in the (mysterious, unnamed) hospital for three days?

Yankeefan007
#135One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/18/08 at 9:15pm

Sunday night, Monday, Tuesday.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#136One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/18/08 at 9:21pm

And if he was legitimately in the hospital, he (or his talkative doctor) couldn't be bothered to call his employers and tell them, quite simply, that he was IN THE HOSPITAL and he wouldn't be able to go on that night?

Three days in the hospital = three day old fish

touchmeinthemorning
#137One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/18/08 at 9:27pm

If the issue really is his diet, then the fix has to do with his diet. He's gonna be tired no matter if he rests or not. I could understand taking even a week off for exhaustion, but months?! That just exposes the fact that this is an excuse to drop out of a show he is contracted to perform. It's the sort of typical Hollywood laziness that the play seeks to expose, and I'm ashamed of Piven for it.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Plum
#138One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/18/08 at 9:46pm

I have a lot of lingering affection for Piven from Cupid (and probably because I don't watch Entourage), but I have to say...yeah, this story is bizarre. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he's not making it easy.

wonkit
#139One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/18/08 at 10:32pm

Colker clearly fancies himself as "doctor to the stars."

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#140One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/19/08 at 12:49am

Piven's doctor taking the blame is like the guy who apologized for his face getting in the way of Cheney's gun.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Plum
#141One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/19/08 at 12:58am

Because the doctor's the victim here somehow? Your metaphor doesn't hold up.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#142One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/19/08 at 1:37am

Show closes, Major lawsuit, I hope Piven loses his shirt for this, his name had made the show a hit.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#143One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/19/08 at 1:38am

I hope the show is able to stay open, but also that Piven gets what he deserves for his behavior. Legitimately ill or not, he hasn't handled this with much grace at all.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

LadyDramaturg2
#144One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/19/08 at 3:00am

PalJoey quoted this fragment: “The ideology is unclear, but his level of mercury was uncharacteristically high, one of the highest we’ve seen,” Colker said.

Interesting ('freudian') slip -- not sure on whose part yet.

The "ideology" -- that would be the "thinking behind the thing." Usually, though, we talk about "etiology," which refers to the "precipitating factor(s) of the thing." I would have expected the doctor to say, "the etiology (cause) is unclear..."

So, hmmmm, whose thinking/"ideology" was unclear --? in thinking up this excuse for a tv personality who wanted to get that Broadway thing on his resume?...

I'm so sick of these rookies -- if you're a celebrity, and want to have that Broadway credit to point to, then LEARN to ACT in the Theatre, please.

First thing, tv- and film-types, that means you have to memorize the Whole Script and say it the same way every time.

Second, you have to do it eight times a week. The whole play and everything.

Jeremy and Cedric are having drinks together right now.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#145One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/19/08 at 10:09am

Hey, now. Cedric was great in his role. Don't lump him into this mess.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#146One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/19/08 at 10:11am

I didn't see Cedric, but... I think you may mean Terrence LadyDramaturg2

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

kooky
#147One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/19/08 at 11:12am

Oh poor little fella, he probably can;t take the discipline and energy of doing 8 shows
a week.... that probably made his mercury levers go very high.... as soon as he goes
back to L.A. and starts to party again - - - it will probably drop his mercury level
REAL FAST ! Good Bye Mr. P.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#148One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/19/08 at 11:20am

It is all definitely odd, but since I'm not directly involved, I don't think I'll pretend to know the truth. I've always liked Piven as an actor, but I don't know him personally, so I don't feel very comfortable judging him at this point.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

wexy
#149One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/19/08 at 11:23am

Any fours? Go fish.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#150One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/19/08 at 11:28am

Heh. The fish story is starting to stink even more. A rather revealing article on Dr Quack-- er, Colker:

Meet Mercury-Poisoned Jeremy Piven's Fishy Celebrity Doctor

Morgaine885
#151One heck of a fish(y) story
Posted: 12/19/08 at 11:43am

I honestly think the fact that Raul was getting so many accolades had something to do with this.

Didn't a few reviews come right out and SAY, "Sure, people are coming to see Jeremy Piven, but Esparza is the true star here?"

And I think one said something like, "Esparza runs away with the entire show when Piven is not looking." (Which I don't think is entirely true, because Moss is great in her role, too.)

He couldn't handle not being the one everyone was falling over...and he acted like a spoiled child and wanted-out.

Well, Mr. Piven...when you go home and polish all your Emmy and Golden Globe awards, remember that guy who was passed over for a Tony for what most feel was the best performance by a leading actor in a musical in years...and still comes to work every day and gives his best in every show he's done since then.

This has done nothing but make me respect and admire hardworking, humble stage actors even more.