RentBoy86
#2re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 12:54am

It's gonna be awhile...

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 1:14am

i agree...this thread was started a bit too early...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 1:15am

lol way too early. but they sure will be a fun read.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 1:21am

I'm sure the critics will be up all night finding just the right adjectives to describe this Pal Joey.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#5re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 1:21am

I'm sure the critics will be up all night finding just the right adjectives to describe this Pal Joey.

accordingtoalex
#6re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 2:22am

Sorry for the early start - notwithstanding, these reviews are going to be extremely interesting to read. Seeing it on the 30th and looking forward to it.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#7re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 4:52pm

Newsday is Mixed-to-Negative:

'Broadway has been waiting a long time for a major revival of "Pal Joey," the most sophisticated musical to ever get lost in mid-century Americana. But despite a smart creative team and game performances from Stockard Channing and the ever-more-surprising Martha Plimpton, the Roundabout Theatre Company production that opened last night at Studio 54 seems more like grown-ups playing dress-up than gritty and cynically delicious pulp fiction.

There is no nice way of saying this. Matthew Risch, the understudy who stepped into the starring role when Christian Hoff reportedly was injured, is a slick and stylish hoofer, and a competent singer. But he doesn't have the wattage to make us care about Joey Evans, the song-and-dance cad and gigolo played by Gene Kelly in the 1940 original, Frank Sinatra in the 1957 movie and Bob Fosse in a 1963 revival.'

http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/friday/partii/ny-etent5968940dec19,0,5729172.story

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

being.jeremiah
#8re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:10pm

"BOTTOM LINE Pale pal"

Wow.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#9re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:14pm

And so the onslaught begins...

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#10re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:15pm

Ouch! re: PAL JOEY Reviews

J*

Mattbrain
#11re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:20pm

They are coming.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#12re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:26pm

Is it just me or do pans for shows with troubled preview periods show up sooner?

BustopherPhantom
#13re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:43pm

AM New York gives the show 1 1/2 Stars out of 4:

'The blame for this revisal should lie with playwright Richard Greenberg, whose overhaul of John O’Hara’s original script with new character motives is uninvolving and awkward, and director Joe Mantello for making so many poor artistic choices. Graciela Daniele’s serviceable choreography works best when it parodies bad nightclub staging.

The production is visually attractive thanks to Scott Pask’s seedy underworld set and William Ivey Long’s Depression-era costumes. Don Sebesky’s new orchestrations, conducted by Paul Gemignani, sound great. So perhaps someday “Pal Joey” will receive the Broadway revival it so rightly deserves.'

http://weblogs.amny.com/entertainment/stage/blog/2008/12/theater_review_of_pal_joey.html

-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#14re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:47pm

to quote the producers: "The reviews come out faster when the critics leave at intermission"

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#15re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:50pm

OUCH.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:52pm

"He also appears too effeminate to play such a manipulative conman."

Haven't seen homophobia in a review in a long time. Fun!

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#17re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 5:56pm

that's not homophobia. "Effeminate" is a characteristic. If it's a characteristic in a leading man playing opposite a woman, it's a problematic one.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

Ed_Mottershead
#18re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 6:02pm

For all my reservations about this revival -- and they are many -- I didn't feel that Risch projected as being "effeminate" -- and I had the sense that he was working his a__ off (maybe not to successful effect but still working hard).

I TOTALLY agree about Greenberg's revisions and Channing's singing.

BroadwayEd

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#19re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 6:06pm

Oh please! The exact same thing could have been said in a more tactful way.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#20re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 6:31pm

Like how?

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#21re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 6:44pm

The Roundabout Theatre Company gets a lot right with its handsome revival of the jazzy classic - just not the guy on the marquee.

http://www.ny1.com/content/ny1_living/90930/time-out-theater-review---pal-joey-/Default.aspx

BustopherPhantom
#22re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 6:49pm

NY1 (with video) is Positive:

'If “Pal Joey” has a weak center, the glitter at the fringes is plenty engaging. Richard Greenberg's rewrite of the John O'Hara book flashes with keen wit and shadows of melancholy, raises the emotional stakes for each character and avoids O'Hara's more formulaic plot devices.

Choreographer Graciela Daniele keeps the cast bumping and high stepping with jazzy dances. Martha Plimpton makes a sizzling musical theater debut as the jaded singer Gladys Bumps, dryly unzipping Lorenz Hart's perfectly packaged rhymes.

Stockard Channing is classy and poised, and while she may not be a great singer, she lends worldly humor and stylish charisma to classic tunes such as "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered." If only she could have lent some of that star presence to her leading man.'

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#23re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 6:54pm

Too bad it was pretty harsh to Matthew Risch! I feel sorry for him, based on the clip it looks like he gave 110% ! re: PAL JOEY Reviews

J*

marknyc Profile Photo
marknyc
#24re: PAL JOEY Reviews
Posted: 12/18/08 at 6:57pm

The NY1 review got it right - amNY was just being bitchy.
Updated On: 12/18/08 at 06:57 PM