"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 5:01pm

She looks gorgeous there.

Chrysanthemum62001
#3re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 5:06pm

You know, I love her. But the first time I ever heard this song was when I watched Julia Murney. And I just like Julia's version better.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 5:14pm

Kuhn sings the notes as written. Riffy-Murphy, not so much.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#5re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 5:20pm

She would have made a great EVITA.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#6re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 5:31pm

Much better than Murney's or Menzel's. Generally not a Kuhn fan, but she is pretty wonderful in CHESS.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#7re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 5:31pm

Ray, you're nto a Kuhn fan?

ray-andallthatjazz86
#8re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 5:35pm

Just generally, she sings the definite version of the CHESS score IMO, but everything else I've heard her perform, she is just completely humorless (mainly referring to the SHE LOVES ME score). I also can't stand the arrangements of some classic showtunes in her solo album JUST IN TIME.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#9re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 5:46pm

I'm a fan and I like her Jule Styne album, but I think she sounds kinda zombie-like on Sunset Blvd.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#10re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 5:51pm

Kuhn's not on the She Loves Me cast recording, so I'm sad I never got a chance to hear her in the role.

timote316
#11re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 6:16pm

I'd agree that Kuhn's version is definitive.... but I love Murney's version of the song, save for that awkward high note she hits (which I think is optional, anyway). I also enjoy Menzel's version, especially the riff she does in place of the high note.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#12re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 7:04pm

She's the one and only Florence and her version of this song is the best that is, was and ever will be.

And I'm a Menzel fan, too re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#13re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 7:20pm

"She's the one and only Florence and her version of this song is the best that is, was and ever will be."

I couldn't have said it better myself. Judy Kuhn is brilliant. I hope she comes back to Broadway soon.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#14re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 8:09pm

Judy's version is and has always been my favourite, although Elaine Paige's isn't far behind. Never understood why everyone seems to praise Murney's & Menzel's...there just not as good to me I suppose!

And I'm with WAT...I certainly hope Ms. Kuhn comes back soon! Saw her in Les Mis about a year ago and will never forget it! Wonderful performer!

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#15re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 8:10pm

Judy's version is and has always been my favourite, although Elaine Paige's isn't far behind. Never understood why everyone seems to praise Murney's & Menzel's...there just not as good to me I suppose!

And I'm with WAT...I certainly hope Ms. Kuhn comes back soon! Saw her in Les Mis about a year ago and will never forget it! Wonderful performer!

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#16re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/30/08 at 11:28pm

I've always loved the Kuhn version. Live, however, the best I've seen was an actress named Susie McMonigle (I think that's the spelling) in a Chicago production at the Marriott Lincolnshire Theatre. The staging and the performance combined to hit it out of the park.

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett

sparrman
#17re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/31/08 at 10:40am

I saw her in She Loves Me, and also her replacement Diane Fratantoni. Fratantoni was excellent. Kuhn was better.

She has given stellar performances on Broadway in roles originated by both Elaine Paige and Barbara Cook. She has the most versatile voice around.

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#18re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/31/08 at 11:24am

I've always preferred Julia Murney's version, although Kuhn is also fabulous.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#19re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/31/08 at 11:26am

Her and Elaine Paige (I think she starts out stronger) give equally great renditions, IMO. I definitely prefer Menzel's to Murney's however.

Ray, do you not like Kuhn's version of "You'll Never Get Away From Me"? Cause although it's very different, I really enjoy it. Also, my favorite song she's sung is "I Don't Know How To Love Him" in the Andrew Lloyd Webber Love Trio with Audra McDonald and Marin Mazzie.

ashley0139
#20re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/31/08 at 11:30am

Love Judy Kuhn's, but my favorite will always be Julia Murney's.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#21re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/31/08 at 1:48pm

To me, Paige captures the definite performance. Her vocals remain unparalleled, though Kuhn is a very close second. But the best live performance I've seen of the song was Judy McLane. She literally stopped the show with that song when I saw it. I will never forget that mind-boggling performance.

Honestly, I've never understood why people go ga-ga over Murney's performance unless it is perhaps the first time they ever heard the song.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#22re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/31/08 at 1:51pm

Murney's rectangular eyes weird me out.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#23re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/31/08 at 1:54pm

I'm more concerned with her linebacker shoulders.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#24re: Judy Kuhn 'Nobody's Side'
Posted: 12/31/08 at 2:39pm

Jewishboy, I particularly dislike her rendition of "You'll Never Get Away from Me," especially the arrangement, much more than the actual vocals.

Videos