pixeltracker

She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!- Page 7

She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#150re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 6:59pm

Well, precisely, ljay.

As I've said before, I don't care for a few performers, but it simply would never occur to me to visit threads on the topic.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#151re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:03pm

I think she is great & more power to her

She absolutely blew you away in Gypsy

Poster Emeritus

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#152re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:05pm

Im so pleased YOU enjoyed it and the 1000s of others but have some respect for those who didn't. There are 1000s of those too.
Thats the most important thing. Updated On: 1/11/09 at 07:05 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#153re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:08pm

I will not respect the ones who constantly spread hate about a performer.

ghostlight2
#154re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:12pm

That's the most important thing? That others don't like it? What a bizarre attitude. I think they might respect your opinion if you didn't beat them to death with it, mama.

"And the American English thing- listen to you lot - all because I don't like Patti LuPone and say so- how sad is that?!"

Actually, it might be more for other posts of yours, like this one:

"On my last few ventures to New York theatres it seems that heavy handed staff are becoming the norm there now what with you having to line up down the street , file in in single lines etc etc and all the time being spoken to like some naughty school kid. This doesn't happen in the West End of London, never has and probably never will".

Because, of course, the West End is so superior?

MamasDoin'Fine
#155re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:13pm

I never said that did i!

bwaybnd64 Profile Photo
bwaybnd64
#156re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:20pm

I was there as well and this is ABSOLUTELY true!!!

The Patti Lupone DIVA FITT at "Gypsy" last night!!!
Current mood: shocked
Category: Movies, TV, Celebrities

OMG - there have only been two times when I have seen a star stop a Broadway show.

The first time was when Raul Julia forgot his lyrics during a performance of "Nine" and told the orchestra to "stop" and "take it from the top." It was kind of scary and awkward but it passed and everything was fine.

The second time was when a rat ran over someone's foot at the 46th St. Theatre during a performance of "Fences." The person screamed and jumped up and there was sheer pandemonium in the theatre. People started yelling "What happened? Does somebody have a gun?" Then the next person would say "OMG somebody has a gun!!!" Everyone started running for the exit doors and James Earl Jones just stopped and told everyone to calm down, that everything was okay and we would start again when people were seated. He knew, as did the rest of us, that there were tons of huge-ass rats in the theatre due to the construction next door of the Marriott Marquis hotel. Also a scary, but funny incident but nothing really to worry about.

LAST NIGHT Patti Lupone clearly lost her sh*t!!! It was a DIVA FIT like no other. Right before she started singing her big number "Rose's Turn" there is a very quiet scene. I could hear these dumb-*ss kids outside the theatre talking sh*t so loudly that you could actually hear what they were saying inside the theatre. I think THAT'S actually what set her off because I was really annoyed and wondered why the House Manager didn't run outside and tell the kids to get away from the Exit doors where their voices were bleeding into the theatre and disturbing Patti's performance.

The moment and quiet scene past and she started "Rose's Turn." She gets about 8 bars into the song and starts screaming, "stop!, STOP!, STOOOOOP!!! Who's taking pictures??? That is the THIRD TIME!!! Who do YOU THINK YOU ARE??? You HEARD the announcement at the beginning of the show!!! GET HIM OUT OF HERE!!! I WILL NOT GO ON UNTIL YOU GET HIM OUT OF HERE!!!"

I was sh*tting in my pants and sweating bullets because she was looking right in my direction and although I wasn't taking pictures I was in the standing room spot I bought for $27 bucks and she thought it was coming from where I was standing.

EVERYONE in the orchestra turns around to where I'm standing. There was House Management standing directly behind me policing the area. I assume this is a big pet peeve for Patti and they bounce people out of the theatre or confiscate their cameras or both.

Just to appease Patti the House Manager screams up to the stage, "It's okay Patti, they're gone." It was total bullsh*t -- nobody was found, bounced or gone. He was just kissing her Diva-*ss so she would shut the f*ck up and finish the show!!! She said "thank you" to the House Manager and then proceeded to give a lecture about how people have forgotten that they are in a public place and that "This is a THEAAATRE." I started rolling my eyes and thought about the line one of the strippers in the show says, "Where have you been workin' honey the V A T I C A N?" I mean Patti was absolutely correct BUT I really think she choose a poor forum to express that opinion.

Speaking of opinions, I have heard many people say things about Patti being a Diva or a bitch or belting out high notes totally flat. I have a friend that worked with her that likes her very much and he introduced me to her at one point. HOWEVER, I have now changed my opinion of Patti personally. I think she is talented - yes, no doubt. BUT that stunt she pulled was completely unprofessional, uncalled for and INAPPROPRIATE!!! People snap pictures. People talk. People put their feet on the stage. GET OVER IT!!! Have the House management do their job and police the theatre as best they can during a performance.

If you want to address the audience at LEAST wait until the Curtain Call and break character THEN if YOU MUST!!! Or if you're a big Diva like she is then record a message for the Stage Manager to play at the top of the show that says "This is Patti Lupone and I play Mama Rose. The taking of photographers is NOT allowed by Me by Me by MEEEEEE. And if we catch one person taking pictures during the show you will be bounced."

Having said all that, last night was the first time that I actually saw the Patti Lupone that a lot of people have told me about. She was a C U Next Tuesday!!! And she not only seemed to be "phoning it in" (believe it or not on the 2nd to last performance of the run) but she was ****ing FLAT when she was belting high notes and you don't need perfect pitch to hear that!

The whole ordeal was VERY disappointing to say the least. There were so many other things that bugged me about this production too. It pissed me off that they had the orchestra on stage and kept talking to an imaginary conductor in a non-existent orchestra pit.

With the EXCEPTION of Laura Benanti, Boyd Gaines AND my personal favorites, the 3 Strippers the show was a total yawn!!! Glad Patti had the Diva fit - at least that woke my *ss up for a moment:)
Updated On: 1/11/09 at 07:20 PM

SporkGoddess
#157re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:23pm

Er... I don't like Patti either, but you shouldn't ever call someone that word, IMO.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 1/11/09 at 07:23 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#158re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:25pm

That's so cute they joined to post that.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#159re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:26pm

I just love little sock puppets.

MamasDoin'Fine
#160re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:26pm

Ha ******* ha!

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#161re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:31pm

-- " didnt have to change it. I was given the option by Craig actually clever arse! I actually made a point of making it known to one and all i had changed my name but that was 4 months ago - how sad that you still have to bring it up. Sad child.
And the American English thing- listen to you lot - all because I don't like Patti LuPone and say so- how sad is that?!"

How dare you? Your response has nothing to do with what I commented on and was disrespectful at best. I did not imply that you covertly changed your name, I simply mentioned that you rude attitude towards both the performer at hand and posters on this board was regularly displayed under your previous name as well. And I'm far from sad for remembering that shameful, disgusting, and divisive thread that you fueled and perpetuated. It was grossly offensive to many people and is remembered for that very reason.

For the record, I couldn't care less whether or not you like Ms. LuPone. I don't like her myself at times. But again, AS I SAID: I don't understand the extreme rudeness and hatred towards her (and now people like me for expressing a simple opinion). That's all.

It's also odd that you've singled me out for this absurd treatment. It's clear that your hateful expressions have bothered many others and several of them are actively commenting on it in this thread.

Your name-calling and immaturity is outrageous and I would prefer that it not be directed at me in the future.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#162re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:33pm

Higgins, ignore him. He's about as mature as a 10 year old. No one takes him seriously after his America bashing event. All he does is WHINE WHINE AND WHINE like a little girl. Updated On: 1/11/09 at 07:33 PM

MamasDoin'Fine
#163re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:38pm

Grow up Higgins.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#164re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:40pm

Thank you, ljay.

Clearly I'll have to do that in the future. I will know better and just stay away. I am not confrontational and so normally let things go, but I can't handle being attacked, especially when I've done nothing wrong.

I simply posted in this thread to defend decency, which I know you understand. It's like you said, I can't respect people who constantly spread such hate, so I added my opinion.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#165re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:41pm

Well now, that's not really fair to the 10 year old girls, is it?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MamasDoin'Fine
#166re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/11/09 at 7:46pm

Higgins you idiot!
Your not confrontational yea!
Your first post on here tonight attacks me!

CarolynaGirl Profile Photo
CarolynaGirl
#167re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/12/09 at 6:26am

The person I know with audio has no interest in releasing it to anyone, so sorry to all of you who keep asking me...

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#168re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/12/09 at 6:31am

Appropriate here as well:

I've always thought that the "law" against taking pictures in a broadway theatre is about as high priority as ripping the tag off of a mattress....

how many stories do i hear that drunk assed idiots plow down the interstates and serve a night in jail....but mean while the barney fifes of Broadway patrol the aisles looking for CRIMINAL Broadway fans and japanese tourists who probably cant even interpret the warning announcement. These people take their jobs way too seriously.

I once did an overdramatic short play about an actor who is trying to perform a one man version of Miss Saigon when an audience member flashes a camera and the actor becomes so disoriented by the light, not only can he not see where he is on stage, he has no clue what theatre he's in, what character he was just playing, if he's missed his call, if he is even a real actor, etc. .... Not to toot my own horn, but it got a huge response and probably more than anyone the theatre junkies that were there totally got it.

Is it rude to a performer to take flash pictures? Depends on the performer I suppose, but I don't Belle or Mickey Mouse stopping a show at Disney World to pull a diva moment...

TRY WEARING A MOUSE HEAD PATTI LUPONE!

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

landryjames2
#169re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/12/09 at 11:21am

I have a different take. I actually would think that I would have gotten more than my money's worth if Patti had done that at the Gypsy performance I attended. I love that stuff.

BNN
#170re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/12/09 at 11:35am

What I still don't understand is why people feel the need to turn/keep their flashes on? You can get a clear picture in a theatre without one, not that I'm encouraging it but seriously, doesn't a flash in that kind of lighting just ruin the picture?

Tick Tock

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#171re: She stopped the show during Rose's Turn!
Posted: 1/12/09 at 11:48am

I agree Landry. I wish she had started Rose's Turn a second time any of the 4 times I saw her do it.

A co-worker of mine was at the Saturday night performance with his girlfriend. He's a straight male who only goes to theater occasionally. He was impressed that she "had such balls." I told him he now had a primo theater anecdote to tell for the rest of his life.