Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters

Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
lachiusafan Profile Photo
lachiusafan
#2re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 12:27pm

while I don't know that I think RENT is school appropriate, you'd think it would have come up before they put it on any kind of schedule about the content. It's not like the content of RENT is a big secret.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 12:35pm

Gay people make regular people uncomfortable. It is our duty to kowtow to them.

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#3re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 12:37pm

meh. whatever.

now one more high school doesn't get the chance to butcher a mediocre show.

that's a good thing

BWNUT
#4re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 3:31pm

No surprise there. That city in the OC is known as a bastion of rich, white, straight, religious, republican right wing conservatives.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#5re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 3:35pm

They didn't even know what the story was about? Everyone knows that RENT has a drag queen.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 3:38pm

http://cdm.nmusd.us/cms/page_view?d=x&piid=&vpid=1212534827008

FYI...

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

iamchanging9 Profile Photo
iamchanging9
#7re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 8:04pm

Phyllis, calling straight people 'regular' only makes straight bigoted people correct. Gay people are just as regular as straight people.

...everyone was doing the mambo and drinking golden cadillacs...

dg22894
#8re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 8:39pm

The movie is rated PG-13 we watched it when it first came out and I was in middle school there should really be no problem with it.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#9re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 8:47pm

Why don't they just pass another proposition requiring gay people to never leave the house so straight, innocent little high school children, all of whom would never otherwise think about anything related to sex outside of the one-man, one-woman/after-marriage variety, are not corrupted? Principal Assrani is just doing the Lord's work, after all.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 8:54pm

Why do we need another thread about this on the main board? It's already been discussed off-topic.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#11re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 8:57pm

Well, some people only post on the Main Board and some only post on Off-Topic, and then some people, like you and me, are BWW omnivores. I don't really see the point of posting it in two places, but I can see why people do it.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#12re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 8:58pm

It gives another chance for people to bash heterosexual conservatives.

Foolish and hypocritical but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

SporkGoddess
#13re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 9:29pm

It sounds more like the principal's doing than the parents, from what I'm reading.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#14re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 9:32pm

Phyllis, calling straight people 'regular' only makes straight bigoted people correct. Gay people are just as regular as straight people.

Sorry! I didn't mean to say regular. I meant normal.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#15re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/17/09 at 9:47pm

Golly Schmerg- you're, you're VERSITILE!

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#16re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/18/09 at 11:28am

I personally think the show should not be done by high schoolers. Because the audiences attracted to high school shows (most of the time) are not mature enough to deal with the homosexuality in it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the two gay characters. Audiences need to accept it. But most of them sit in their perfect little bubble and get "scared" or "creeped out" by anything that they think isn't "normal". People need to grow up.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#17re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/18/09 at 12:02pm

There's plenty of other material in RENT besides the homosexuality that makes it inappropriate for high schoolers to take on. I don't think it should be allowed by high schools. Period.

Chip12
#18re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/18/09 at 12:23pm

Schools shouldnt do RENT. Then its like the school is teaching children about being gay. That's something the parents should do.

omguguyz
#19re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/18/09 at 12:28pm

parents should never teach their kid about being gay, thats not good! that is why you, Chip12, have turned out so odd, instead of figuring out you were gay on your own

nydirector2
#20re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/18/09 at 1:23pm

Sounds like a very queeny drama teacher who is just being bitchy since he doesn't get to choreograph Angel's 'Today For You' dance. There are many AWFUL things in this script including from heavy drug use, suicide, avoiding paying bills/rent, thievery, and all of it is okay within the realm of the play. Look, I LOVE this show. I used to sleep outside the theatre to get tickets for it. Is it appropriate for high schools? Not really.

Also...if it is a problem with gay characters, this has law suit written all over it. It's highly discriminatory. The ACLU will have a field day with this.

SporkGoddess
#21re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/18/09 at 1:27pm

Yeah, I agree. There's really no evidence that the principal cancelled it because of the gay characters, specifically. There's a lot of material in it that would be viewed as inappropriate for high school students.

I also feel very little pity for them, having went to a Catholic high school where we weren't even allowed to do West Side Story because of gang themes.

blondebaby589 Profile Photo
blondebaby589
#22re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/18/09 at 1:30pm

I also feel very little pity for them, having went to a Catholic high school where we weren't even allowed to do West Side Story because of gang themes.

I went to Catholic school too and never had that problem with the theater department. But although we were allowed to do productions like Miss Saigon, girls could receive up to 3 demerits for wearing a headband because they were "gang symbols". My purple polka dot headband did not mean I was in a gang, it just meant that I wanted a cute way to keep the hair off my face LOL

www.tinydancer5.tumblr.com

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#23re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/18/09 at 1:31pm

Sounds like a very queeny drama teacher who is just being bitchy since he doesn't get to choreograph Angel's 'Today For You' dance

Wow. And you sound like a dumb f*ck.

SporkGoddess
#24re: Newport Beach, CA High School Cancels RENT, Blames Gay Characters
Posted: 2/18/09 at 1:46pm

blondebaby589: Oh, that's too funny! Our problem maybe was that our principal was scared to stand up to the parents. Also, our director had a list of favorite shows and we basically just did those over and over. Seriously, my sister attended seven years before I did and we both had the same shows (The Wiz and Joseph, respectively) done our freshman and senior years.

Updated On: 2/18/09 at 01:46 PM

Videos