pixeltracker

Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!

Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#1Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 3:56pm

When they start to arrive...post here...
Updated On: 3/1/09 at 03:56 PM

PiraguaGuy2
#2re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 3:57pm

*Crosses fingers for this not to turn into a Guys and Dolls Love Thread like the Story of My Life one*

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#2re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 3:59pm

Yes, same here...simply just post the reviews and reactions...no haters and no love...simply the facts...

dg22894
#3re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 4:04pm

From the Reiviews I have heard no one likes it so this will not turn into a love thred

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#4re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 4:05pm

I hope that it turns into a love thread for Kate Jennings Grant.

PiraguaGuy2
#5re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 4:07pm

It'll turn into a Mary Testa love thread...
"She is FIERCE! BEST PART OF THE SHOW! SHE DESERVES A TONY!"
If they gave out Tonys for completely overdoing it, she would've gotten one for XANADU. Except in Xanadu, the mugging fit in with everyone else's, but when you're completely overdone in an underdone production, you come across as normal.

youknowinsweden
willrogers2008
#7re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 5:43pm

The Roma Torre-NY1 negative review is already on the web

Hahabimbi Profile Photo
Hahabimbi
#8re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 6:02pm

They should choose different video if they want to bash it cos the clip looks great.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#9re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 6:11pm

Roma's opening line is very en pointe:

Every high school in the United States has probably put on the great Broadway musical "Guys And Dolls," and I would wager a bet that a number of those student productions have more life and charm than the lackluster revival that just opened on Broadway.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#10re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 6:13pm

I'm surprised LimeLightMike didn't start this thread a week ago to be the first.
Looking forward to Brantley's review for this one, it'll make me decide whether I should see it next week or not.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#11re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 6:24pm

Those projections move WAY too much.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#12re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:11pm

Is there a reason why there are no video clips on their site yet...

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

PiraguaGuy2
#13re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:12pm

"It might as well be called Men and Women".
Damnnnnn Roma Torre....you's a bee-yotch.

And dear God...Oliver Platt's voice is painful. He sounds like Donald Trump after 60 years of smoking.

Updated On: 3/1/09 at 07:12 PM

CSonBroadway
#14re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:15pm

I didn't understand the nagging about Oliver Platt at first. All I needed to see was the 30 second clip of him singing and I agree with the nagging.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."
Updated On: 3/1/09 at 07:15 PM

nlm
#15re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:17pm

Someone sent me these two at work.

Variety Review - http://tiny.cc/t6sbg (Mixed - Negative)
AP Review - http://tiny.cc/4FrOh (Negative)

ETA: Apologises, computer system is stuffing up with too many windows open hence the amount of edits.

Updated On: 3/1/09 at 07:17 PM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#16re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:21pm

And Sam Levene was Pavarotti?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

PiraguaGuy2
#17re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:25pm

No, but his voice had PERSONALITY. Oliver Platt's is just DEAD, especially coupled with an otherwise ineffectual performance.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#18re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:26pm

Variety is NEGATIVE

There's an overriding flatness to what should be a sensational high-roller affair, sparking to life occasionally only to sag again under the strain. And for all the attention to Manhattan skyscrapers, subway trains, diners, tenements, underground lairs and alleyways, a sense of place is absent from this take on a quintessential New York story.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117939795.html?categoryid=1265&cs=1

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#19re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:31pm

If the Times isn't a Rave, the show will probably close fast: the advance is only $2 million (not very much when the capitalization is $9 mil).

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

ray-andallthatjazz86
#20re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:32pm

The reviews aren't even fun to read, the critics mostly seemed to be bored by the production and it shows in their reviews. The Variety review of THE STORY OF MY LIFE was a blast to read, this one felt like homework. I imagine that must be what the actual production feels like. Ugh.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#21re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:33pm

http://weblogs.amny.com/entertainment/stage/blog/2009/03/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

PiraguaGuy2
#22re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:34pm

Bustopher, Guys and Dolls has been playing to high capacity for weeks and is one of the few shows that sells on title alone. It ain't goin' anywhere because Ben Brantley called it "uninspired".

CSonBroadway
#23re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:34pm

I hope that these bad reviews won't scare Lauren Graham away from the broadway scene- she can sing and handle broadway but the role isn't for her.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#24re: Guys and Dolls Review Posts go here!
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:38pm

I hope that these bad reviews won't scare Lauren Graham away from the broadway scene

I do. I was pretty disappointed when they announced her for the part. I'm still confused WHY they even cast her, I'm aware her TV show had a following but she's no big name by any means. Either way, hope her new pilot turns into a success so she keeps her time occupied with TV and doesn't do stage work again.

The show has been selling extremely well every week, I'm sure the reviews won't affect that.

Videos