pixeltracker

Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound

Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound

Huey's Pop Profile Photo
Huey's Pop
#1Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 12:41pm

Bought some TKTS to Chicago (the Musical) for the 3/30 show (Mezzanine). The audio was horrible. The actors' mics must have been turned down several notches. (I thought that maybe it was me until we saw Billy Elliot and In the Heights the next two nights -- and they were perfect and exceptional!).

Is someone sleeping in Chicago's sound booth, or is the show just getting tired and needs to be put out of its misery? Either way, even at half price, the experience was pretty lousy.

Byron Abens
#2re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 1:02pm

I saw it back in January (for free, thanks to that whole Nancy Cohn hates Cleveland mess) and there were no problems with the sound. Wireless mics are funny and sometimes will do things one night that they have never done before and will never do again. I'm guessing you hit one of those nights.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#2re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 3:00pm

I thought the show and sound were in great shape when I saw it a month ago.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#3re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 3:03pm

I think everyone in this show is sleeping. I paid 30 dollars for my ticket and it wasn't worth it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 3:05pm

^ Did you rush the show?

CSonBroadway
#5re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 3:12pm

I don't understand how people rush this...
I've gone 3 times and they always tell me they don't have a rush.

It pisses me off.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Drunk Chita Rivera
#6re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 3:39pm

Yeah I rushed the show, I was front row all the way to the right. Not worth the money.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#7re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 4:33pm

So, I'm assuming it hasn't gotten any better than when I last saw it almost two years ago, Chita?

The cast was sleepwalking and the show fell so flat, you could almost hear the "thud."

Too bad.

Drunk Chita Rivera
#8re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 4:39pm

I guess not. I saw it in January (or maybe February) and it was Brenda Braxton's second to last show and I thought she was the only one who wasn't falling asleep on stage. Melora Hardin was just AWFUL as Roxie. She actually had some life in her but she was the one you wanted to go away and not be in any scenes. The theater was also 40% full on a Sunday afternoon, and you know how depressing a show is when there is no one in the audience. At the end of the show two people gave it a standing ovation and they were the only ones who laughed at all throughout the show. It's time for it close.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#9re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 4:40pm

It's not going to close anytime soon. It's still doing great business, check the grosses.

It really depends on what cast you see.

Drunk Chita Rivera
#10re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 4:45pm

If it was based on the condition of the production it would need to close but I don't understand how it's doing great business. I guess because it's a familiar name...?

CSonBroadway
#11re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 4:48pm

I saw Charlotte D Amboise a month ago and she was great and very energetic.

And it still does well because of the movie.

Huey's Pop Profile Photo
Huey's Pop
#12re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 4:50pm

I don't know if the entire cast was sleepwalking, but Tom Wopat (who was great in A Catered Affair) seemed to be going through the motions and phoning it in.

As for a standing ovation, there were about 12 people standing in the orchestra section.

At the very least whoever is in charge of the sound should be fired.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#13re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 4:51pm

I guess because it's a familiar name...?

Yep. And if the movie hadn't come out, I bet the show would have closed already.

I understand they want to squeeze every last buck they can out of it but why can't they also try to inject the show with a little more energy (or a lot more, actually)? What's wrong with a show being good (not material-wise in this case, just in terms of the cast) and entertaining AND also being a financial success? The producers should strive for both, not just the latter.

Then again, they are the Weinsteins.
Updated On: 4/3/09 at 04:51 PM

Drunk Chita Rivera
#14re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 4:58pm

The issue is definitely the cast. The cast has been there too long. They need to get some new people there and stop stunt casting crappy people.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 5:07pm

Tom Wopat did it here in Denver in Feb. right before going into to the Broadway cast. he has a great voice but I too thought he kind of walked through his performance. I was really looking forward to seeing him and was a bit disappointed.

Just give the world Love.

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#16re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 5:43pm

I think engaging performers are what Chicago needs to continue to succeed. I actually think was one of the few movie musicals that was (gasp!) better than the show onstage. I saw the tour in Boston in December and while I enjoyed it, I did realize that without a talented cast (shot out for the guy playing Mary Sunshine; he was fantastic) giving their all, plot holes, etc, could be more easily seen. The choreography is wonderful, but even it could fall flat with a cast that simply goes through the motions as described in this thread.

I saw Chicago on Broadway for the first time a few years ago, with the delightful Amy Spanger playing Roxie and she was so full of energy that I loved every second of it. But since I've seen it, I've never felt the need to revisit it again in NYC.

Alexis2
#17re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 8:26pm

CHICAGO REALLY CLOSED in the summer of 1978
After Gwen, Chita, Jerry & Mary left the show
This revival is a poor imitation of a "CLASSIC"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#18re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 8:30pm

Sure!

Gwen Verdon herself said she felt the revival was better than the original, which was written for her!

AndAllThatJazz22
#19re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 8:51pm

It breaks my heart that this brilliant production of an incredible show is getting so stale.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

jejr
#20re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/3/09 at 10:52pm

It's time for another CHICAGO fire. Where is that cow to start the fire when it's needed.

george95
#21re: Chicago 3/30 - horrible horrible sound
Posted: 4/4/09 at 1:28am

I really think a lot of this is that people go into CHICAGO expecting it to have long run-itis. Every time I see the show, I'm always happy with the energy with the cast (except for Tom Wopat's voice!)

Videos