NEXT TO NORMAL reviews

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#25re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:47pm

My guess is that "Shrek" doesnt get a Best Musical nod--- unless the "9 To 5" reviews are horrible.

PiraguaGuy2
#26re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:48pm

I'm still sticking by the predictions I've had since N2N announced its transfer -

Billy Elliot
Shrek
9 to 5
Next to Normal

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

ZONEACE
#27re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:49pm

and what are the chances of the reviews being horrible?

the fourth spot will be Shrek or [tos] and I'd guess Shrek since it's still open.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:49pm

I agree

Poster Emeritus

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#29re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:51pm

Ha I'm loving that every thread turns into a Tony predictions thread every year from April to June.

Well, BILLY, 9 TO 5, and N2N are pretty much locks at this point.

ROCK OF AGES and SHREK will have to duke it out for the last slot but neither will win.

Then again, we all thought A CATERED AFFAIR was a lock for a nod last year and freakin' CRY BABY took the last slot. We'll see...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#30re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:53pm

I actually think the opposite might happen: Billy Elliot and 9 to 5 are going to (continue) to do fine whether or not they get Tony Awards....so what a great way to help boost the success of a truly special and unique musical, that might OTHERWISE be lost by the wayside.

And then again, perhaps they will just vote for the BEST new musical.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PiraguaGuy2
#31re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:53pm

If Rock of Ages gets nominated for Best Musical then someone can buy me a chocolate hat and I'll eat it.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

ZONEACE
#32re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:56pm

lol.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#33re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:57pm

Hopefully someone else will start a real review thread, as this already has two pages and one review.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Testing1232
#34re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 8:58pm

Given the "ROA" reviews, I would be very surprised if it did not get a Best Musical nod. I am not saying that it deserves to or not, but I dont think you can really ignore the reviews.

The "Shrek" reviews were mixed (at best)- My opinion, the worst musical that I saw this year.

heo1128
#35re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 9:00pm

AllThatJazz, I'm anticipating the Word of Mouth reviews, too!! I'd love to hear what a non-theater fan has to say about the show.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#36re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 9:15pm

What the hell, blaxx, there has only been only ONE official review released so far. The show doesn't open until tomorrow but I started this thread to post the (very early) review.

What exactly is a "real review thread"? Ha...does it matter/what difference could it possibly make?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#37re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 9:18pm

A thread that doesn't have five pages of random posts before finding an actual review maybe?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

WiCkEDrOcKS
#38re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 9:20pm

There are two pages.

The review is on the first post.

Every post so far has been related to NEXT TO NORMAL and/or its reviews, so I'd hardly call them "random."

There has been only one official review released.

Does it really pain you so much to have to click the mouse a couple of times?

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#39re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 9:21pm

Well that's the problem with starting a review thread the day before the show opens.

Testing1232
#40re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 9:23pm

Its a fun thread, Blaxx.... If there were other reviews in print, they would have been posted, and the thread would not have went "semi-OT"--

Really not a big deal. At least, I dont think so.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#41re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 9:23pm

Well that's the problem with starting a review thread the day before the show opens.

In defense of Rocks, he only started the thread because there was a review posted today.

It was not like he started the thread just to beat Limelight Mike, whom I'm sure will start his own thread anyway.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#42re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/14/09 at 9:33pm

Don't be so jumpy, Wicked.

You know that tomorrow when reviews come out this thread will be much longer and will be frustrating to find them.

Of course, I'm not helping by posting this either.

RentBoy86
#43re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/15/09 at 1:11am

"Rock of Ages" had the better reviews, and a better track record so far. I'd be surprised if it didn't get a nomination. But I wish title of show would get the sympathy vote.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#44re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/15/09 at 2:48am

Better track record? It's only been open a week or two. And I'm not trying to laud tos; but there isn't much to compare yet.

BUT...I'm torn between Shrek and ROA for the last spot. I havent' seen either yet which is why I cannot decide. But my gut feeling is that the TONY folk won't see the merit in ROA and go with Shrek.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ZONEACE
#45re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/15/09 at 3:12am

There's not a ton of merit to Shrek, but i'd bet it ges the fourth slot for being a more traditional fare.

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#46re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/15/09 at 5:22am

I'm crossing my fingers for all raves! ((crosses fingers))
Updated On: 4/15/09 at 05:22 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#47re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/15/09 at 11:11am

I am sure the show will be very well received.

The changes that have been implemented since Second Stage and the DC run addressed all the misgivings some of the critics had the last time.

I'd imagine most will follow suit with what we've already seen in AM New York.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#48re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/15/09 at 11:17am

double post.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 4/15/09 at 11:17 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#49re: NEXT TO NORMAL reviews
Posted: 4/15/09 at 1:58pm

Let's hope so!

Happy opening night, N2N! I will be there tonight and can't wait!