pixeltracker

Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?- Page 2

Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?

Gothampc
#25re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/19/09 at 11:48pm

This recent "Guys & Dolls" revival should have revived the black cast idea and cast Audra as Sarah Brown.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#26re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 12:54am

I would go for it completely! I love Audra so much. She can do anything she wants in my opinion

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

BwayLeadman
#27re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 12:57am

Lilias White as Rose!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#28re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 12:58am

For someone to take the financial risk for this, they'd need a name, like Queen Latifah as Rose.

That could actually work...

I would go see Piragua's cast.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#29re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 1:08am

I think Audra McDonald would rock as Baby June :)

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#30re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 11:45am

She's really not a belter, but she can belt when she wants too. I'm sure that Audra would act the crap out of that part.

Exactly what I was going to say! I've always thought she'd be brilliant in this role!

Now, can we put her in a time machine back to her "Carousel" days and make her the lead in a new revival of "My Fair Lady"? Pretty pleeeeease?!

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

boydowncenter
#31re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 2:29pm

i definitely would not want to see audra as mama rose. I know I know...I'm probably the only non-fan on here.
I think Queen Latifah is a very interesting choice, and would be a great name.
What about Beyonce as Gypsy? haha

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#32re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 2:38pm

I'm for Lilias White!

As for June...Look at some of the girls who played Squeak in "The Color Purple" or the girl that played Snookie in the revival of "110 in the Shade"...I think her name is Carla Duran.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#33re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 2:56pm

Tonya Pinkins-Momma Rose
Anika Noni Rose would be a brilliant Louise.
Nikki M. James-June
Norm Lewis-Herbie
Chester Gregory II-Tulsa

I'd be happy with a one night only concert or a studio cast recording. A full on production would be sublime though, I can just imagine how exciting the Dressing Room scene would be between Pinkins and Rose, especially if they do it as directed by Arthur Laurents in the last revival.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

AndAllThatJazz22
#34re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 4:18pm

<------ Like I said on the other thread. I want Renee Elise Golsberry (sp?) to play Louise. Or even june for that matter

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
Updated On: 5/20/09 at 04:18 PM

DavidPatrickS82
#35re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 4:33pm

Lilias White would be great, but her understudy would have to be wonderful, cause Ms White calls in a lot. Or do we not remember 1997 when Sharon Wilkins was going on like every night in The Life!

musicaltheatreman
#36re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 4:34pm

my vote goes to lillias white!!! also if gypsy is revied within the next 10yrs or so hands down donna murphy should play mama rose!!!

tonight Profile Photo
tonight
#37re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 5:08pm

audra's voice is not rough enough to play mama rose.

on the evening of the great crackling is part of a hurricane named karen olivo, whose anita impact of the measure, if it is displayed. olivo, an alum of "in the heights", has an indelible personality, a galvanized insistence that latin women on stage. ~ susanne klatten

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#38re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 6:18pm

Lilias White's voice is one of my favorites, and she could sing the hell out of the score but could she act the role? Oh, well, this is hypothetical, so who cares if she could.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Gothampc
#39re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 6:40pm

"Lilias White's voice is one of my favorites, and she could sing the hell out of the score but could she act the role?"

It doesn't really matter. Merman was never a brilliant actress so the book was written to be foolproof.

Also as Jennifer Holliday demonstrated in "Dreamgirls" if you can stand center stage and belt to the back of the house, your acting can be crap. You could tell that she was given line readings for some of her scenes.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#40re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 8:07pm

I honestly feel that there should be a continuous production of GYPSY on Broadway. A different director could come in an re-direct the show with minimal set changes every now and then with new stars coming in and out. This would give every major actress who could play the role a chance and new directors with great visions a chance to be seen on Broadway. The Tonys would need to make a ruling to only count the actors in a new director's production for the awards and of course, the directors could be nominated.

This is a show that must be seen by everyone. EVERYONE.

Gothampc
#41re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:01pm

I want to see Dueling Gypsy productions. They could knock down the wall between the Shubert and the Booth(?) and put up a clear plexiglass wall. Then audiences could watch one Gypsy onstage and see the backstage of the other production. Talk about a hot ticket!!

javertim
#42re: Audra McDonald as Mama Rose?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:34pm

I could totally see Jenifer Lewis as Mama Rose ... She has the low timbre that I love to hear in that part. And she's a terrific actor to boot.