pixeltracker

"Don't Stop Believin": Glee Vs. Rock of Ages- Page 3

"Don't Stop Believin": Glee Vs. Rock of Ages

Walnut36
#50re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 9:57pm

In Rock of Ages the musical, not the little vid, this finale song goes way over the top with silliness and the most Velveeta special effects, make it laugh out loud funny.

There is an incredibly stupid reason why James Carpinello is singing in Spanish. I nearly wet myself when they came up with that one. Let's just say there is a llama involved.

The glitter being shot out by Adam Dannheisen has a purpose, and there are many more gags involved that I don't want to spoil.

Just go to the Brooks Atkinson, sit back, order a Malibu Bay Breeze, flick your fake bic, and get ready for a couple hours of guilty pleasures.

jarred03
#51re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 10:11pm

I would like to point out to SNARKY and everybody else that thinks it's biased because one is recorded and one is live, that on broadway you should sound better live than on a recording.

My point being that I like Idina and Kristen way more when I watched Wiced then when I listen to the cd. Tamyra Gray, LaChanze, Mary J. Blige, Patti LuPone, Steven Tyler, etc, etc, all sound better in live performances than on recordings, because pro tools and all that studio crap usually take out the soul of the voice and make too smooth and radio friendly. If you can't sing as good our better live than you do recorded(ahem Britney Spears) then you shouldn't be a singer.

AndAllThatJazz22
#52re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 10:40pm

Jane 2 (And ALL You other dregs of the earth), read carefully. Most people are saying that they think Glee's arrangement is more exciting, not 'The cast of glee sounds better'. But then again, how can I expect a ROA fan to accept it whenever someone doesn't drop-dead-love anything ROA.

However, Earth-Dregs, I think choosing between Glee's version and ROA's version is like choosing between horse poop and chihuahua poop. Although I hate them both, I'd much rather clean up a chihuahua's doo-doo than a horse's doo-doo... and in this case, ROA is the chihuahua poop. Yes Earth-Dregs, you heard it here. I prefer ROA's version. If you don't understand one of the words I used or you need me to use 'smaller-words', PM me.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#53re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 10:46pm

>>If you don't understand one of the words I used or you need me to use 'smaller-words', PM me.

Thank you "Superior One"
I'm thinking of lots of words for you.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#54re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 10:49pm

^Thanks for all your advice, all that, but you haven't said anything that requires careful reading.

"My point being that I like Idina and Kristen way more when I watched Wiced then when I listen to the cd."

Oh-I had no idea that "Wiced" was performed on a makeshift stage outdoors at around 7-8 am. How do you like that?

Again, the premise of this thread is ridiculous. That some of you don't get that, is totally understandable.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 5/27/09 at 10:49 PM

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#55re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 10:52pm

How can you compare the two?

they're two completely different takes on the song.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#56re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 10:55pm

Jane if it bothers you this much then why don't you STAY THE F*CK OUT! RoA doesn't need you to ride in on your white stallion & giving excuses for people liking Glee more than RoA.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#57re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 10:59pm

"Jane if it bothers you this much then why don't you STAY THE F*CK OUT!"

Nah, I don't think I'll stay the f*ck out. and I'm not bothered by any of this. I'm having a good time. You, on the other hand sound really bothered. Calm down.

Oh-and p.s., to lower to your level of speech, I don't give a flying f*ck which version any of you like better. My point has gone over your head.

Updated On: 5/27/09 at 10:59 PM

defyingravity07
#58re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:07pm

Oh-I had no idea that "Wiced" was performed on a makeshift stage outdoors at around 7-8 am. How do you like that?

Again, the premise of this thread is ridiculous. That some of you don't get that, is totally understandable.
-------
Um, the point is that of course the majority of people will like the Glee version better when you present the ROA version under the worst circumstances possible.

I think I'll post an open audition for a tour of Wicked with a video of the broadway version and see which we like better.
-------
What a ridiculous question this thread poses.

If you are to make a comparison, at least give both a fair playing field. ROA is outside on a makeshift stage, with awful sound quality, first thing in the morning.

Glee is a fully produced under the best conditions performance.

That situation notwithstanding, I've seen the ROA song under the best conditions, and it blows the vanilla Glee version out of the water. No comparison as far as I'm concerned.

Seems like you are bothered.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#59re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:14pm

thank you for taking the trouble to make that post of all my remarks! In reading them again, I rather like them!

I really don't feel like going on with this. the troops have had enough entertainment from me.

snarkywannabedreamer Profile Photo
snarkywannabedreamer
#60re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:24pm

Jarrod, you miss my point completely. this isn't a case of their quality of vocals. I agree a good singer MUST sing live. MY POINT is that you can not compare a live, OUTDOOR, 8am performance with a studio produced, mixed, and mastered production. it is retarded. get the glee singers and the ROA singers and through them on a broadway stage and compare THOSE performances. Hell, Glee may wipe the floor with ROA but it would at least be an APPROPRIATE and FAIR comparison.

snarkywannabedreamer Profile Photo
snarkywannabedreamer
#61re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:25pm

"throw" not "through". was writing too fast.

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#62re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:35pm

I think the point is some of us will never agree on anything- and that's OK.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

AndAllThatJazz22
#63re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:39pm

Oh my god. Let me spell it out for you guys since you clearly DON'T get it.

T-H-E
R-E-A-S-O-N
W-H-Y
P-E-O-P-L-E
A-R-E
S-A-Y-I-N-G
T-H-A-T
T-H-E-Y
L-I-K-E
G-L-E-E-'-S
V-E-R-S-I-O-N
B-E-T-T-E-R
I-S
B-E-C-AU-S-E
T-H-E-Y
P-R-E-F-E-R
T-H-E
A-R-R-A-N-G-E-M-E-N-T.
T-H-E
A-R-R-A-N-G-E-M-E-N-T
H-A-S
N-O-T-H-I-N-G
T-O
D-O
W-I-T-H
W-H-E-T-E-R
O-R
N-O-T
I-T
I-S
L-I-V-E
O-R
P-R-E
R-E-C-O-R-D-E-D.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
Updated On: 5/27/09 at 11:39 PM

defyingravity07
#64re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:44pm

It's obviously NOT okay with Jane.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#65re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:45pm

But you're forgetting how the cast of RoA had to wake up at 2am after sleeping on sacks full of potatoes in a car factory and then perform on a fold-out card table in front of the world's largest cage of howler monkeys.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#66re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:58pm

*ROLLS EYES*

My lord. For any and all of you wanting to make "fairer" comparisons, you are free to revisit this topic when ROA releases their cast recording. Mmkay? Now play nice.

sealionspeed Profile Photo
sealionspeed
#67re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/28/09 at 12:33am

Glee.

You kids need to play nice. Get over it. It's only a comparison :)

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#68re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/28/09 at 10:53am

Wait, what? You really think I'm so dumb and shallow that I'm not at all making the necessary allowances in my head? Do you honestly think I prefer the Glee version just because "well gee, those RoA guys couldn't even afford a studio, and look how shoddy their camerawork is, and omg singing LIVE? What's THAT all about? 8D"?

Well, knock yourselves out if you do. I guess it has nothing to do with the fact I've never liked Constantine Maroulis, favour Lea Michele over Amy Spanger, and totally dig the "dab-dab-dab-dab" backing on the Glee version. Obviously all y'all are right, and opinions *can* be wrong. I wonder what exciting new thing I'll learn tomorrow? re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#69re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/28/09 at 11:21am

Despite my general dislike for Lea Michele (she sounds great though), my vote would have to go to Glee.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

massofmen
#70re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/28/09 at 11:35am

why don't you people just wait for the ROA cast recording. Then they both will be from a sound studio and you can judge it on that. So then they both will be from a mixing board and a sound studio and then its "equal".
ugh, its like babysiting.

bdwaygirl Profile Photo
bdwaygirl
#71re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/28/09 at 11:53am

Sorry. Give me Steve Perry and Journey any day.

I hung out with Cheyenne Jackson in his dressing room waayyyyyy before he tickled D2.

"unleash the girly"

Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch.

Puppies are babies in fur coats.

Tinfoil...The Terrorizing Terminator

AndAllThatJazz22
#72re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/28/09 at 9:31pm

massofmen,
when the cast recording comes out and everyone STILL prefers Glee, you'll find a reason why everyone is wrong. That's the reason why you have kept the title of 'dregs of the earth'.

Yankeefan007
#73re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/28/09 at 9:39pm

I'll take Journey's version, as well.

massofmen
#74re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/29/09 at 10:50am

when you say "everyone" you mean most of the people on this limited chat board of about 5,000 or less people right? you don't mean the 8000 people weekly that go to see ROA. right?

Or the 45,000 people who have already seen the show since its broadway preview date, or the tony nominators who saw its viability and voted for it over 9-5 right?...or counting the 5000 people who saw it off bway for the 8 weeks right?
you are only talking about the small demographic of theater people on this site that have nothing to do with whether a show succeeds or fails right?

Just clairifying when you you use the word "everyone"