pixeltracker

Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3

Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#1Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 5/31/09 at 7:33pm

Wow!! What a show it was today. The whole cast was phenominal. This was my 6th time seeing the show and if it remains like this, I will go another 6 times.

Sierra Boggess- She definitely gave her last show 150%. She has some voice. Everytime I listen to her singing the high notes, it gives me the chills. It was really nice to see a performer like her do so well in a show, especially in her Broadway debut. She is some performer and does not show that she had to do this many times before. I mean she has done this for over a year if not 2 if you include the Denver try-outs and rehearsals. She will be very much missed in this production.

Sean Palmer- Ehh. He has a good voice, but it seems like he is getting tired of playing Prince Eric and it does get boring. I guess it is a good thing that he is taking the summer off from the show. It will give him time to rest.

Faith Prince- She was so much better than when I saw her on May 2nd. When she sang "I Want the Good Times Back", she knocked it out of the ballpark. However, her "Poor Unfortunate Souls" was no more than what she sang on The View. She practically talked the whole song. Besides that, she actually brings some personality to Ursula.

Norm Lewis- He has some good voice, but he doesn't get that much stage time. They should have figured out a way to include him in the show more often.

Rogelio Douglas Jr.- He is really great as Sebastian. He has great comedic timing and has a great singing voice. His "Under the Sea" blew it out of the theater. Everyone was crazily clapping and cheering. He does such a great job with
the song and he also sings the other songs he's in very well.

The rest of the cast was AMAZING! So much life and energy is still present in the show.

The stagedoor was such a shock. Sean Palmer actually came out and signed autographs and took pictures. This was a very rare occasion since he just sneaks out. Sierra Boggess was so gracious that everyone waited 40 minutes for her and came to her last show.
*** She confirmed it to me that she is in fact doing Love Never Dies in London. ***

I can't wait to go back in the summer to see Drew Seeley and Chelsea Morgan Stock(who actually died her hair completely red. She looked different.)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 5/31/09 at 7:37pm

Thanks for the review. Wish I could have been there.

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#2re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 5/31/09 at 7:48pm

Thanks for the review!

I saw the show two weeks ago for the first time and enjoyed it, but would certainly never go see it again.
We left the theater feeling very underwhelmed by the whole thing.

The highlights for us were Sierra and - believe it or not - Brian D'Addario! Everyone else (including Faith and Norm!) was merely going through the motions.

Brian as Flounder was a very pleasant surprise, brinign some excitement and a great voice to his scenes. We were glad, though, to see Sierra before she left. Great performance in her Broadway debut!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

sgv123
#3re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 5/31/09 at 8:07pm

Brian has been one the highlights for alot of people....including me.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#4re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 5/31/09 at 8:15pm

Sierra and Brian were the highlights for me too- as well as Cicily Daniels who I was lucky enough to see as Ursula!

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#5re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 5/31/09 at 8:24pm

wdwfreak did Sierra tell you when she starts in London?

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#6re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 5/31/09 at 8:26pm

Thanks for the review. I saw the show in February and, while I wasn't crazy about it, thought Sierra was delightful.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#7re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 5/31/09 at 8:30pm

No. All she said is that she is going to London.

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#8re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 5/31/09 at 10:58pm

Was Sierra emotional at curtain call? Did anyone make a speech?

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#9re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/1/09 at 6:33am

Ah, I adored Brian D'Addario! My jaw literally dropped when he sang "She's In Love"-- he was so much better live than on the CD.

Sean Palmer came out to sign autographs when I saw the show, too... but he looked and seemed ill and kind of an unappealing greenish color. 0_0

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#10re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/1/09 at 8:20am

Yes. She was very emotional. As soon as she came onstage, she started crying. I was shocked that no one made a speech. I was like WTF?? Sierra always made a speech for the cast that left before her. She definitely deserved some recognition.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#11re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/1/09 at 8:23am

No speech...sad!

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/1/09 at 8:26am

I'm sure she was given the opportunity. Gads of actors don't enjoy public speaking....odd, I know.

I know teachers that are the same way....can get up in front of students for hours on end...but anyone else? Not in a million years.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MirrorBride Profile Photo
MirrorBride
#13re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/1/09 at 5:53pm

That's very amazing you got to see the last show. I never got to see the show during her run, but she has an amazing voice. She will truly be missed in the role of Ariel, but whatever roles she chooses, I'm sure she'll give it her all. She is a very inspirational person and truly brought Ariel to life.

"This one really spoke to me. She's a strong woman, that's why I think people relate to her and the story." -Sierra Boggess talking about her role as OBC Ariel

broadwayboy522
#14re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/1/09 at 7:13pm

Sierra not getting a speech could have been her choice. I know performers on their last shows sometimes don't want a speech, Stephanie J. Block didn't want one for her last in Wicked, so Sierra may not of wanted one.

MirrorBride
#15re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/1/09 at 7:33pm

Maybe she thought a speech would have made it very emotional and hard to leave. It was probably hard enough to leave as it is without a speech. I'm sure many members would have gladly made one otherwise.

"This one really spoke to me. She's a strong woman, that's why I think people relate to her and the story." -Sierra Boggess talking about her role as OBC Ariel

sayokay
#16re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/2/09 at 5:57pm

Laura Bell Bundy was very emotional in her last show. She didn't want to give a speech. That was a GREAT last show. I'm sure Sierra did good!!

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#17re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/3/09 at 8:30am

Yeah. I agree with Laura Bell Bundy's last show. She was EXTREMELY emotional. It's just weird that like Sierra will never be in that production again.

MirrorBride
#18re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/3/09 at 1:42pm

Maybe if the show stays open against what many people have been saying, she'll eventually come back. Whatever she does, her voice will be amazing.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#19re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/3/09 at 3:08pm

I don't think she will come back. Little Mermaid launched her career for her, and I could see her becoming a steady, working actress constantly.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#20re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/3/09 at 3:08pm

Audition sides were rereleased today for Flounder. I wonder if Brian is on his way out?

WishingOnlyWounds2
#21re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/3/09 at 3:37pm

There were Flounder auditions back in April (or around that time), it's probably just a precaution.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

MirrorBride
#22re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/3/09 at 4:23pm

Why would they hold auditions if the show might be closing?

WishingOnlyWounds2
#23re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/3/09 at 4:32pm

In case one of the boys rapidly hits puberty and can't sing "She's In Love" in the few months before the show closes.

MirrorBride
#24re: Little Mermaid Review- 5/31/09 @ 3
Posted: 6/3/09 at 4:35pm

Ahh, I see. It must just be a precaution then.

Videos