News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.

The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#1The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.
Posted: 6/11/09 at 6:48pm

Sally Jessy Raphael, Luke Perry, Joan Jett, Robin Leach, Jerry Springer, Penn & Teller, Gilbert Gottfried, & Sebastian Bach?

http://ibdb.com/productionreplacements.asp?ID=12547
Updated On: 6/11/09 at 06:48 PM

Yankeefan007
#2re: The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.
Posted: 6/11/09 at 6:56pm

Jett opened the show as Magenta; Bach was a replacement Rocky; Perry was a replacement Brad.

The rest were 1-week stunt narrators after Dick Cavett left.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2re: The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.
Posted: 6/11/09 at 7:10pm

I thought Daphne Rubin-Vega opened the show as Magenta?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3re: The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.
Posted: 6/11/09 at 7:17pm

He meant Columbia.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

husk_charmer
#4re: The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.
Posted: 6/11/09 at 7:19pm

It's also a show that has a history of stunt casting, going back a pretty far ways.

Some of them were quite good re: The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

spidey_882 Profile Photo
spidey_882
#5re: The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.
Posted: 6/11/09 at 7:49pm

Bach was a replacement Riff-Raff, not Rocky. Unless he covered both roles. I saw him as Riff-Raff

Now, mother always said that whenever you hear a strange, frightening, and potentially life-threatening ghostly chant coming from the dark woods that there's one thing that you should do: Not wake the others and go investigate it alone...

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel Profile Photo
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#6re: The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.
Posted: 6/11/09 at 8:02pm

Joan Jett started off as Columbia. Ana Gasteyer had a stint as Columbia and was absolutely fantastic. Daphne Rubin-Vega opened the show as Magenta. Bach took over for Riff Raff during the ROCKY RETURNS portion of the show after it closed due to 9/11. Terrence Mann took over for Tom Hewitt opposite Bach's Riff Raff. Luke Perry was great as Brad, actually. Oh, and of course: Alice Ripley was Janet and was wonderful.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#7re: The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.
Posted: 6/11/09 at 8:07pm

Jett opened as Columbia
Bach was a replacement Riff Raff

If you want to talk about an insane amount of stunt casting lets take a look at just 2 roles in the 90's revival of Grease

Teen Angel:
Chubbie Checker
Charles Gray
Al Jarreau
Kevin Anthony
Darlene Love

Rizzo:
Rosie O'Donnell
Linda Blair
Debby Boone
Sheena Easton
Joely Fisher
Deborah Gibson
Jasmine Guy
Lucy Lawless
Maureen McCormick
Mackenzie Phillips
Brooke Shields

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8re: The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.
Posted: 6/11/09 at 8:35pm

I wish there were clips of Sally Jessy Raphael. That's the one I just can't picture. The others I can sort of see working, but Sally... I dunno.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#9re: The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.
Posted: 6/11/09 at 11:21pm

Which Charles Gray was that that played Teen Angel? Cuz there's no way it could be Charles Gray of Rocky Horror fame!

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#10re: The Rocky Horror Show sure did have quite the interesting casts.
Posted: 6/12/09 at 12:08am

I saw SJR. She was very dry and did little if any improv/audience interaction unlike many of the other narrators. Then again, each of them only had a week's run with what I imagine was limited rehearsal. They mostly just read from the script which they had right in front of them.

Videos