News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four- Page 102

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2525The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 11/30/09 at 10:07am

Um, OK.... this is the same night as the ASTEP Christmas show at Joe's Pub. He's going to do two shows in one night?
Christmas Eve with Christmas Eve

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

wonkit
#2526The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 11/30/09 at 2:32pm

He still isn't listed on the ASTEP web site. But the EVE show is at 7 and the ASTEP benefit is at 9:30 so it is possible, I guess.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2527The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 11/30/09 at 3:43pm

He's on the schedule at the Joe's Pub website for the ASTEP show, but that's the only place I've seen him listed, I think.

I mean, he COULD do both shows, but....why kill yourself like that?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2528The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 11/30/09 at 4:17pm

Doing two benefits in one night, in which you will probably sing one song each and when the venues are pretty close together is hardly "killing yourself." It's not that uncommon during the high-traffic benefit seasons. I know people who have done it; they've survived. It's less work than a two-show day on Broadway. I don't understand the friction between wanting him to work and get back on stage again and feeling the need to baby him. He's a big boy and a professional performer. I'm sorry if that sounds like I'm being a bitch, but I just don't get it. You get concerned if he's not visible "enough," but treat him like he's made of glass if he does anything more than he "has" to.

The Christmas Eve thing is going to be over by 8:30. That's plenty of time, especially considering that the one at the Pub is not terribly likely to begin on time. And The Public's website is not the only place he's listed; Sh-K-Boom put the info out on their Facebook and on Twitter.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2529The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 11/30/09 at 9:04pm

Yes, all of that is true, I wouldn't argue with any of it, but.... half (probably more) of the point of these benefit things is what happens offstage - the meet and greet. The socializing and schmoozing and glad-handing, all in an effort to raise money for the cause. So while the performance aspect of doing two shows in one night is ridiculously easy, the social part is less so. Depending on the individual person, it can be exhausting, and having to do TWO in one night could be terrifying.

Now, I highly doubt Raul is in that category, he seems to love the socializing, but he's still in for a loooong night.

Updated On: 11/30/09 at 09:04 PM

luvtheEmcee
#2530The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 11/30/09 at 9:18pm

One long night in months of not working, in support of two causes he's made clear are very, very close to his heart. I'm not about to get worried about his well-being for it. Besides, while I don't know what to expect of Ann Harada's show other than absolute hilarity, events at Joe's Pub, yes, even benefits, tend to be extremely chill and laid-back. Sure, as a board member some schmoozing is part of the deal, but this isn't some kind of high-pressure black-tie gala. Hardly comparable, particularly in levels of schmoozing required. So he's in for a long night doing what he loves to help raise money for things he cares about. Poor baby. I don't doubt he can handle it.

Q
#2531The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 11/30/09 at 9:21pm

*peeks in*

*hugs Em*

*disappears*

luvtheEmcee
#2532The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 11/30/09 at 9:27pm

No disappearing before I can hug you back! (Always opportune, aren't you? The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four)

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#2533The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/11/09 at 11:39am

Nice interview about the process of recording audio books:

In the studio, I like the lights as low as a bedtime story, I need lots of water and I try to have eaten enough so that I have energy (plus the mic in the studio is so sensitive it can pick up your breathing, your weight shifting, not to mention a rumbling stomach).

Full Interview Here

wonkit
#2534The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/12/09 at 7:23pm

What an interesting interview! I got through 2 discs of the DOME and then had to stop. Maybe after the holidays I will have more time to listen for 35 hours! He is doing his usual excellent job with the voices.

wonkit
#2535The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/14/09 at 2:43pm

Anyone attending either or both of Raul's charity appearances tonight? Do share.

luvtheEmcee
#2536The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/14/09 at 5:04pm

I'm going to the ASTEP one. You decided not to?

wonkit
#2537The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/15/09 at 12:54am

Got stuck at home tonight of all nights and let some NYC friends use my tickets. I'll have to live this one vicariously.

luvtheEmcee
#2538The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/15/09 at 1:18am

Had a friend at the earlier show, she texted me to say Raul sang Barcelona with Ann. I thought that was pretty cute. The ASTEP show was really good; Lynne Shankel is so talented, her arrangements are amazing. It was pretty similar to last year's show, but with some different performers, and it was hosted by Harriet Harris. Mary-Mitchell was supposed to come in from Chicago, where she is now with The Addams Family, but she got sick and was unable to make it. Raul read a letter from her and then sang O Holy Night. He sounded gorgeous.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2539The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/15/09 at 4:19pm

From "Christmas Eve with Christmas Eve" last night:

The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

Performing "Barcelona"

All together now - "Awwwww...."

wonkit
#2540The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/15/09 at 5:36pm

Ah, the Bobby faces. Looks like it must have been fun! My friends (who are not Broadway regulars) said they thought Raul sang well but seemed "preoccupied"? They liked Helen Harris (who hosted?) and thought the musical arrangements were great. (They are jazz people.) Maybe next year...

luvtheEmcee
#2541The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/15/09 at 10:19pm

Obviously I don't know because I didn't see it, but the first thought that comes to mind is that maybe he was just... acting the song. Playing Bobby. I mean, Bobby is pretty much a disinterested, distracted, and yes, preoccupied (albeit very confused) ass during that song. He seemed all right at the later show.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2542The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/15/09 at 10:38pm

Here's a couple from the show at Joe's Pub later in the evening:

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2543The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/18/09 at 10:44pm

I find myself weirdly distracted by this one:

His tie is SO wrinkled!

luvtheEmcee
#2544The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/18/09 at 11:07pm

Well, after the way he was rolling around with that mic stand... The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

I thought he looked adorable.

wonkit
#2545The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/19/09 at 11:14am

My friends were at ASTEP, which is why their comment puzzled me a little as he apparently sang "O Holy Night"! Love the Christmas wrapping-type tie! So Andy Karl also did a double charity night. He's pretty cute himself.

Chrysanthemum62001
#2546The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/19/09 at 12:07pm

Is it just me, or does he look slim! Vacation agrees with him.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2547The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/19/09 at 8:47pm

Not sure if this was posted or not, but there's an interesting audio interview with Raul about Under The Dome on his website:

http://www.raulesparza.com/projects/index.html

rula bean Profile Photo
rula bean
#2548The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/30/09 at 4:48pm

This past weekend I saw a Legos commercial on TV and I'm 99% sure that Raul was in it (along with a kid). Can anyone confirm this? I haven't been able to find it online, unfortunately.

luvtheEmcee
#2549The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 12/30/09 at 5:01pm

I have no idea, but that made me giggle. I love Legos!

Videos