News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year- Page 2

2004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#252004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year
Posted: 1/1/24 at 10:20pm

dramamama611 said: "I don't think these Tonys were confusing at all. It's also odd to be confused by the results when it doesn't sound like you actually saw most of the performances nominted."

The OP is obviously not very well-versed on Broadway matters.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#262004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year
Posted: 1/2/24 at 11:34am

blaxx said: "dramamama611 said: "I don't think these Tonys were confusing at all. It's also odd to be confused by the results when it doesn't sound like you actually saw most of the performances nominted."

"

But they think they are. 

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#272004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year
Posted: 1/2/24 at 1:14pm

Jarethan said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Kad said: "I wasn’t a big fan of Sharon Clarke (or that revival as a whole, tbh), but her loss to Joaquina Kalukango was a definite surprise."

One of the casualties of the pandemic and Caroline, or Change not opening in 2020 as scheduled. I don't think Adrienne Warren would've won had Sharon been eligible.

I think that the people on this board have always liked Caroline a lot more than typical audiences. I saw both productions, appreciated the objectives, and was bored for sizable stretches. I am not a philistine, but i did not even like Lot's Wife, probably turned off by all the comparisons to Rose's Turn's greatness, which I didn't see.

Re the last comment, had Kulekango and Warren opened in the same season, it is inconceivable to me that Kulekango would have won.I am still amazed that Kulekango won for PS. She was the best thing about it, but it wasn't a huge role in a show that was a massive flop. Part of her winning IMO reflected a rejection of COC by voters (again); the same voters were remembering her loss for Slave Play, in which she was placed in the wrong category (she would have won hand's down in featured actress in almost any season), and for that whopper Let It Burn. All opinion, needless to say.

"

It also wasn't a particularly strong race that year. Sutton Foster was divisive in a divisive production of The Music Man, Mare Winningham and Girl from the North Country seemed more respected than loved, and Carmen Cusack was great but stuck in a pretty bad show (and unlike Kalukango, she didn't even get a barnburner solo).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BeingAlive44Ever
#282004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year
Posted: 1/2/24 at 1:33pm

roseaddams said: "blaxx said: "dramamama611 said: "I don't think these Tonys were confusing at all. It's also odd to be confused by the results when it doesn't sound like you actually saw most of the performances nominted."

"

But they think they are.
"

No I'm rather certain that a majority of the people on this forum know more about the doings going on on Broadway 

It's a big part of why I post here, everybody I know has no clue what I'm talking about

I like to be the stupidest person in a room, if that makes sense

I wind up learning a lot of things from everybody here

OhHiii
#292004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year
Posted: 1/2/24 at 2:34pm

BeingAlive44Ever said: "No I'm rather certain that a majority of the people on this forum know more about the doings going on on Broadway

It's a big part of why I post here, everybody I know has no clue what I'm talking about

"

Keep being curious and keep asking questions. Don't let the old battle axes that have daggers out for you on here dissuade you from participating in the discussion, they're mean to anyone they deem to know less than them (often folks who end up knowing much more than they do in reality). Never mind that they also know that the 2004 Tony Awards have notoriously been debated since the day they happened (that season has elicited a book and a documentary, when was the last season that happened), so your OP isn't out of left field nor is it off base. But they're going to be rude to you regardless.

One notable anecdote I've heard directly from that evening is that there was a La La Land/Moonlight-esque scenario that played out in the room at Radio City that night. Viewers at home didn't see it, but when they announced Best Musical, Wicked's artwork was displayed on the screens in the room though Avenue Q's name was called. When you realize who the executive producer was on La La Land and who would have been accepting Wicked's award that night alongside David Stone, the irony can't write itself.

Ke3
#302004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year
Posted: 1/3/24 at 1:28am

I just wanna say Sharon Catherine Brown was out of this world as Caroline. I've never seen an understudy who went on as infrequently as she did whose performance was that lived in. By the end she had sucked every bit of air out of that room and left me claustrophobic. Lot's Wife pinned me to my seat.

BeingAlive44Ever
#312004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year
Posted: 1/3/24 at 1:41am

Ke3 said: "I just wanna say Sharon Catherine Brown was out of this world as Caroline. I've never seen an understudy who went on as infrequently as she did whose performance was that lived in. By the end she had sucked every bit of air out of that room and left me claustrophobic. Lot's Wife pinned me to my seat."

Sometimes understudies are unbelievable! 

I wish there were awards for such performances

I understand why it's logistically impossible, same reason as the Matilda's joint award, but man I just despise the idea that people who put in so much work are completely ignored by the Tony Awards

At the very least most prolific understudies go onto have great touring careers and sometimes even great roles on Broadway

OhHiii, thank you for your kind words and for that incredible story 

I was aware of some controversy surrounding this season, though most of it was about Wicked not winning Best Musical, but man there's so much in it that just seems so bizarre and it's been great to get other people's perspectives on this subject

And it completely blows my mind that Marc Platt is so unlucky but his son gets three of the four major entertainment awards for one role 

Marc Platt is like Mama Rose on a larger scale

I might be the only person to ever make that comparison

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#322004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year
Posted: 1/3/24 at 4:01am

OhHiii said: "BeingAlive44Ever said: "No I'm rather certain that a majority of the people on this forum know more about the doings going on on Broadway

"

Keep being curious and keep asking questions. Don't let the old battle axes that have daggers out for you on here dissuade you from participating in the discussion, they're mean to anyone they deem to know less than them (often folks who end up knowing much more than they do in reality). Never mind that they also know that the 2004 Tony Awards have notoriously been debated since the day they happened (that season has elicited a book and a documentary, when was the last season that happened), so your OP isn't out of left field nor is it off base. But they're going to be rude to you regardless.

One notable anecdote I've heard directly from that evening is that there was a La La Land/Moonlight-esque scenario that played out in the room at Radio City that night. Viewers at home didn't see it, but when they announced Best Musical, Wicked's artwork was displayed on the screens in the room though Avenue Q's name was called. When you realize who the executive producer was on La La Land and who would have been accepting Wicked's award that night alongside David Stone, the irony can't write itself.
"

The OP came in making statements, not asking questions. It is not rude to set facts straight, don't be fragile.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#332004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year
Posted: 1/3/24 at 6:10am

BeingAlive44Ever said: "
And it completely blows my mind that Marc Platt is so unlucky but his son gets three of the four major entertainment awards for one role

"

Marc Platt has two Tony awards and has produced a number of extremely successful movies. If that’s unlucky, may we all be as unlucky. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BeingAlive44Ever
#342004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year
Posted: 1/3/24 at 3:24pm

Kad said: "BeingAlive44Ever said: "

"

Marc Platt has two Tony awards and has produced a number of extremely successful movies. If that’s unlucky, may we all be as unlucky.

"

I mean I never said unsuccessful 

I just mean those times when literally everything looked in his favor and he lost anyway 

Ben Platt had everything not in his favor when you think about it

Like so many amazing musicals and actors were on Broadway in 2017 

Christian Borle, Andy Karl, Josh Groban (although a somewhat miscast Josh Groban)

That's some pretty tough competition

And Ben Platt won the Tony, the Grammy, and an Emmy Award for Dear Evan Hansen 

I bet the movie of Dear Evan Hansen was conceived to get him an Oscar to make him the first person to get an EGOT from one role 

But he didn't get even a nomination cause it was just a bad idea 

... And Marc Platt happened to be producing that bad idea 

JSquared2
#352004: The Tony's Most Confusing Year
Posted: 1/3/24 at 4:04pm

BeingAlive44Ever said: "Ke3 said: "I just wanna say Sharon Catherine Brown was out of this world as Caroline. I've never seen an understudy who went on as infrequently as she did whose performance was that lived in. By the end she had sucked every bit of air out of that room and left me claustrophobic. Lot's Wife pinned me to my seat."

Sometimes understudies are unbelievable!

I wish there were awards for such performances

I understand why it's logistically impossible, same reason as the Matilda's joint award, but man I just despise the idea that people who put in so much work are completely ignored by the Tony Awards

At the very least most prolific understudies go onto have great touring careers and sometimes even great roles on Broadway

OhHiii, thank you for your kind words and for that incredible story

I was aware of some controversy surrounding this season, though most of it was about Wicked not winning Best Musical, but man there's so much in it that just seems so bizarre and it's been great to get other people's perspectives on this subject

"

Dude you need an editor for your posts.

Also -- every "thought/brain fart" does not require its own paragraph.

Videos