News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

9 to 5 Opening Night - L.A. & Reviews- Page 3

9 to 5 Opening Night - L.A. & Reviews

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#50re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:03pm

Judging from the clips I've seen, the show looks like it's in great shape.

I just hope that when bringing it to New York they don't follow the trend of many screen-to-stage adaptations and stream-line the show too much so that it doesn't stand out on its own and ends up being just a pale imitation of the film.

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

NDR
#51re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:07pm

Congratulations to the cast and crew on opening.
And thank you BWWer's for posting the review links -very helpful.

I hope they make the necessary changes because it sounds like this show could be very good. Sounds like a B right now, but hopefully an A+ by the end of the LA run.

Mnnymonhak
#52EW on 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:20pm

Here's a story about opening night from EW.com:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/09/the-broadway-bo.html

Talks about how a controversial line right before curtain call had to be changed in previews, as well as another description of Dolly's impromptu performance.

Wildcard
#53EW on 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:27pm

SPOILER:

I forgot to mention... like a few of the new musicals nowadays, there is a "Wicked" joke in here even though it was unintentional. In one scene, Stephanie mutters the words "No good deed goes unpunished" (or something to that effect). However, given that two members of the cast were previously seen in Wicked, some members of the audience laughed while the rest looked around wondering why everybody else was laughing.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#54EW on 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:59pm

LA Times Review is Mixed

Very positive about the Megan Hilty, Stephanie Block and Allison Janney (not so postive about Marc Kudish), also notes problems with the book.

"...Not since "Wicked," the cheeky prequel to "The Wizard of Oz," has a show overflowed with so much musical-comedy promise. But this Broadway-bound production, which had its world premiere Saturday at the Ahmanson Theatre, has only occasional success in switching on the old fluorescent-lit office magic...

"Once again for a newly minted musical, the storytelling proves to be the major flaw. Not that the material, which is set in the Carter era (as William Ivey Long's costumes never let you forget), seems dated. The problem is that Resnick hasn't figured out how to stay true to the film's commercially packaged radicalism while bouncing between gag-ridden spoof and sentimental songs..."

LA Times Review - 9/23/2008

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#55EW on 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:12pm

"Um, Who's Ryan O'Connor and why does he name drop?

Sounds like the West Coast version of Corine2...

"Check out my web site!"

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

jondouglas
#56EW on 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:32pm

byron, you're one to talk about "name dropping." Thats all you ever do,,,,,,,,,,you're such a nelly queen. There is clearly something wrong with u.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#57EW on 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 5:39pm

Looks what's back...

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

fvalle24
#58EW on 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 6:04pm

Loved the EW article...

Did they refer to Megan Hilty as [Megan] Hilton?

"Fonda maveled to Broadway star-in-the-making Megan Hilty, on her vocal resemblance to Parton. “This is surreal,” Hilton kept repeating"

So LA...

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#59EW on 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/24/08 at 7:13pm

some more pictures

Broadway.Com

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#60EW on 9 to 5 Opening Night!- a big fat hit!
Posted: 9/25/08 at 9:56am

I saw the show last night. I think it's about 85% ready for Broadway- some trimming is in order (fantasy scenes, Mundania song) and some book changes (Allison Janney love subplot for example) but overall the show is a big fat hit.

Yes, the show will inevitably get mixed reviews in New York but intended audiences (women and gay men) will love it. This is exactly the kind of entertainment that we need on Broadway right now- light, funny and glitzy. For once a ticket buyer can see what his money is going into- a superb cast (leads and supporting), a top-notch 15 piece band (conducted by Stephen Oremus), clever choreography and beautiful/complex set design which should be a shoo-in for a Tony.

To quote a line from another musical, This show definitely "give(s) them the old razzle-dazzle" in spades.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

Videos