News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

9 to 5 Opening Night - L.A. & Reviews- Page 2

9 to 5 Opening Night - L.A. & Reviews

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#25re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/21/08 at 5:57pm

GettyImages has a few photos up from the opening.

re: 9 to 5  Opening Night!

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#26re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/21/08 at 7:08pm

Composer-lyricist Dolly Parton's theatrical debut, "9 to 5: The Musical," qualifies as what folks call "a fun show": rarely any less, but at this point rarely more. Besides the audience's enormous affection for Parton in her mostly auspicious bow, "9 to 5" rides a swell of good will from the popular 1980 farce, though substituting a heavy hand (and considerable bad taste) for the movie's light heart. Judicious streamlining could determine whether this Gotham-bound celebration of workplace women breaks through the glass ceiling separating modest success from long-run hit.
Librettist Patricia Resnick slavishly follows her screenplay penned with the late Colin Higgins, as three put-upon corporate secretaries marshal their newfound sisterhood to rid Consolidated Industries of the ultimate sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical, bigoted boss (Marc Kudisch, all football-hero bravado) and his weaselly office spy (an amusingly milksoppy Kathy Fitzgerald).

MVP of both cabal and tuner is ultracompetent Violet Newstead, Lily Tomlin's signature role to which Allison Janney brings her "West Wing"-honed professionalism along with unexpected showbiz pizzazz. Show treats her like Lauren Bacall in politely disguising her song and dance limitations, and she responds with a powerhouse turn, imbuing every scene with exuberance and emotional availability.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117938452.html?categoryid=33&cs=1

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#27re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/21/08 at 10:50pm

Bob Verini just HAD to go use the term "girl power"

To quote Violet:

"I am NOT your GIRL!" "I am a WOMAN!"

What great ones do the less will prattle of

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#28re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/21/08 at 10:55pm

W-O-M-Y-N!!

broadwayfan310
#29re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/21/08 at 11:27pm

sounds like they have some problems..

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#30re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/21/08 at 11:35pm

So glad you enjoyed yourself, BFB!

I can't wait to see this in New York!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#31re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/21/08 at 11:35pm

The reviews seemed pretty positive to me...

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#32re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/21/08 at 11:38pm

"Gotham-bound celebration of workplace women" ?
What a blow hole piece of writing.

The show sounds like it is well on it's way to being a huge Hit.
All three Woman are so peaking my interest.
And if Jack Cassidy can't play the Boss, I'm glad that they got Kudisch.
Hope they have a great run in LA!

You think the producers and creative team will re-think the automation and make the show simpler and save tons of cash?
Updated On: 9/22/08 at 11:38 PM

NYCblurb
#33re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 1:35am

Saw the show Thursday night.

Was pretty terrible. Very little good to say about it.

I am uncertain it is fixable.

I would not want to see it again, nor could I recommend it. Tough rough shape, this show.

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#34re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 1:43am

This is the first full-out negative thing I have read about the show, are you sure it just isn't your type of show? Or is everyone else on crack.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#35re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 1:53am

Gee, seeing as they were so articulate in their criticism we must all be on crack...

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#36re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:22am

Hollywood reporter is close to a rave.
9to5

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#37re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:26am

So is Bloomberg.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=aFCNjRerBlo4&refer=home

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#38re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:55am

Just saw it again tonight.

Didn't notice THAT many changes. My guess is that they have some in mind but probably can't technically implement them yet. I also overheard Marc saying that he's still recovering from that fall he took in rehearsal so there may be a lot more that his character does in the show that he can't physically do at the moment. Allison is definitely getting more confident with her singing, she sounded a lot stronger than I remember! Megan is amazing in this show - just as consistant as the first time. I'm sure Steph wouldn't want a big deal made of this but I just have to say she was a total trooper tonight! I don't think most people even realized anything happened but she hurt her toe on stage literally seconds before her big "Get Out and Stay Out" number. Not to worry, her toe nail is a goner but she's totally OK. She wiped away some tears which went along with the scene, sang the hell out of her song, kinda limped through the rest of the show a la 'Patti isotoner style', and still came out afterwards in very good spirits to sign/pose and say hi even though she was still in pain. Great show, overall... I'm LOVING all the love for it, thanks for those links DAME :)

DefyGravity777
#39re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 4:54am

uh oh Steph getting hurt already. It hurts like heck when you stub your toe and lose your toenail over it re: 9 to 5  Opening Night!.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

TheRyanOConnorShow
#40re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 6:07am

Hey guys!!

Marissa Jaret Winokur and I went to the opening night on Saturday of 9 to 5 at the Ahmanson in LA and have a LOT to say about it, INCLUDING run ins with Dolly herself, Lea Michele and John Lloyd Young and Andy Karl!! PLUS our thoughts on the show, MY BIG NOTE for Joe Mantello and Dolly HERSELF singing 9 to 5 in the AISLES!!

Plus TONS of photos from the opening night party! Watch!
9 to 5 Opening Night Recap w/ Marissa Jaret Winokur

Please visit my show and subscribe!! http://www.TheRyanOConnorshow.com

WickedPirate2 Profile Photo
WickedPirate2
#41re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 6:55am

Gah - WAY too early for Steph to be getting hurt already! I'm glad it wasn't serious, but those toe injuries hurt like hell..

Seeing the show this weekend - very excited!

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#42re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 7:30am

Um, Who's Ryan O'Connor and why does he name drop?

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

WiCkEDrOcKS
#43re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 10:29am

THEATERMANIA is mixed to positive

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/15407

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#44re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 10:45am

I wrote this on another thread, but I think it bears repeating. Based on the clips I've seen, Janney looks like she'd be PERFECT for a revival of Applause.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Wildcard
#45re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 1:41pm

I saw the opening night of 9 to 5 last Saturday (though I unfortunately did not realize it was opening night, hence I was not appropriately dressed). I ran into a few celebrities here and there, some literally like almost bumping into Tracy Ullman.

I thought the show was very enjoyable. Its biggest asset is the cast. A lot has been said about Allison Janney (and she was EXCELLENT) but the standout for me was Megan Hilty. She was very lovable and her portrayal reminded you of Dolly yet it she made it her own. Stephanie Block was wonderful as well but the character she played was just not exciting so I can't blame her for that. Marc Kudisch also seemed like a natural for his role. Kathy Fitzgerald was also a standout in her supporting role as Roz.

The sets were wonderful. While the designs of the late 70s/early 80s aren't that wonderful in themselves, the sets accurately represented the era and brought me to the proper time and place. I was transported to different parts of the office which were visually interesting yet still used most of the same set pieces. The only thing I wasn't too excited about was the use of the digital screen in the back. Sure it was effective, but it seemed out of place. A more theatrical solution could've been used using shadows and light or painted backdrops.

Finally, the music was good as well. Dolly is a very accomplished musician and she has successfully translated her skills for the stage. For the most part, the songs pushed the story along nicely. The drug-induced dream sequence seemed superfluous to me initially but given what happens after it, it makes sense.

Overall, it's not ground-breaking theater but a very enjoyable evening nonetheless.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/22/08 at 2:41pm

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 02:41 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#47re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 2:48pm

Gorgeous pictures on PLAYBILL:
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/121575.html

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#48re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:19pm

The playbill photo call made me smile from ear to ear. It looks wonderful!

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#49re: 9 to 5 Opening Night!
Posted: 9/22/08 at 3:49pm

The lights in the office are identical to the ones in the film!

So excited for thisssssss

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

Videos