News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

9 to 5 Rush...?

RyToast1
#25re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 11:09am

still no word?

Parks
#26re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 11:13am

I vote lotto. Student rushes are annoying--especially when you don't LIVE in the city and you have to get there at 8 or 9 AM and then find something to do for 10 hours till the show after getting tickets.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

JenNYferTheatrical Profile Photo
JenNYferTheatrical
#27re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 11:21am

Isn't it more annoying to travel into the city just to lose lottery?

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#28re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:00pm

Absolutely.

Rush > Lotto

Parks, you make it seem like there's nothing to do in the city.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#29re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:01pm

Rush is sooooooo much better. I'm dying to see this and I'll just get increasingly pissed as I continually lose the lotto. This is also considering the fact that it angers me when people who can CLEARLY afford regularly priced tickets enter the lotto and win.
Updated On: 3/30/09 at 12:01 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#30re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:01pm

I agree about rushes being better than lottos but I'd definitely put my money on this show having a lotto. Just seems like the way it works with shows like 9 TO 5 and shows that open at the Marquis.

I hope I'm wrong though.
Updated On: 3/30/09 at 12:01 PM

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#31re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:09pm

I stopped by and asked about this on Sat. and the person at the box office said the front row is being reserved for either a student rush or lotto but they're pretty sure it's going to be student rush since they don't want to hire someone to do the lotto. (Sounds silly but that's what he told me.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

JenNYferTheatrical
#32re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:11pm

It doesn't sound silly at all - I've heard some horror stories about running lottery. It's a nightmare.

ColorTheHours048
#33re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:13pm

I would get there at obscene hours to get tickets as soon as possible. Ugh. I'm dying to see this. How high is the stage at the Marquis? The only show I've seen there was MILLIE, but that was about 7 years ago.
Updated On: 3/30/09 at 12:13 PM

JenNYferTheatrical
#34re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:15pm

Front row at the Marquis is PERFECT. The best front row on Broadway.

ColorTheHours048
#35re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:16pm

That is wondrous.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#36re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:16pm

If there's a rush for this, I will be VERY excited!! Please be true!

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#37re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:17pm

^ Totally with you on that.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#38re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:19pm

I have heard that the producers initially wanted a student rush policy but have been considering a lottery more recently in fear that the show's "intense" fan base will make the tickets hard to obtain by making repeat visits and increasing the difficulty of availability.

In order to be more accessible to all patrons, certain members of the production staff have been pushing for a lottery. Regardless, as bwaygal1 was informed, the front row is being reserved for whatever system they ultimately choose.

Personally, I prefer a student rush, only because you are in direct control of your ability to get tickets by choosing to line up as early as you want. But when one sees NEXT TO NORMAL and hears the girls seated in the rush seats saying they've seen the show 30 times previously and have already been to every Broadway preview via rush, it's hard not to sympathize with the sentiments behind a lottery.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 3/30/09 at 12:19 PM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#39re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:26pm

The other issues with a rush especially for a popular show were exemplified with the experience with student rush and Jersey Boys. The scalper issue anyone? NOT cool.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Parks
#40re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:28pm

There's a lot to do in the city, but it usually involves money. It's hard to entertain yourself for 10 hours in the city cheaply and still have energy to enjoy the show. It's just a very long day if you have to do student rush.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#41re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:42pm

I see pros and cons of both a lotto and student rush. I think if people want to continuously rush a show then that's their perogative. It's not necessarily unfair to anyone else-anyone who fits into the category required for the rush (i.e. student) can participate. It's all based on first-come, first-serve.

I think either allows whoever qualifies an equal opportunity to get into the show at an affordable price. I would prefer a rush but I can understand why people might not want it. I also think someone might see a lotto as a marketing tool for the show-people will see it on their way by and enter and if they don't win perhaps they'll get tickets anyway.

We shall see. But I'm grateful for either one.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.
Updated On: 3/30/09 at 12:42 PM

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#42re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:54pm

I would love a rush. I would rather get there really early and then get a ticket for sure and then do random stuff in the city than go up just for a lotto and be really mad if I came up for nothing... so my vote is for rush!

WiCkEDrOcKS
#43re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 1:22pm

How about a general rush?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#44re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 1:56pm

I think a general rush removes a lot of the risk that was present in the Jersey Boys student rush. If ANYONE can rush it, that takes a little of the "exclusiveness" off of the tickets.

But I do agree about a lottery being a good marketing tool. Especially with the location at the Marriott. I know pretty much every time I did the lottery for Drowsy and the one time I did it for White Christmas people walking by asked what was going on and several decided to enter or said they would try again at some point. Big crowds waiting for tickets when most people are out and about (as opposed to the wee hours like often happens with rushes) really does attract attention.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#45re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 2:07pm

as long as they don't have the lotto at the same time as WSS, In The Heights, and Hair i'm cool with a lottery.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#46re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 2:20pm

That has in the past been the nice thing with the lotteries at the Marquis HAVE been later than the others. I wish producers WOULD stagger them a little when a new show is starting up. It's so frustrating to have them ALL at one time, which is what we have now. Start this one at 6 and draw at 6:30 or start it at 6:30 and draw at 7 ~ just not 5:30 and draw at 6.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

ashley0139
#47re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 2:36pm

I'm grateful for anything they will do.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

ColorTheHours048
#48re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 2:45pm

I agree with ashley0139. I'll be grateful for any cheap tickets they offer. But... a rush would be less stressful. This show doesn't need much more foot traffic marketing. It takes up an entire block with marketing. A BUSY block, no less. If they had any more marketing, they'd be singing "Shine Like the Sun" in our bedrooms.

enroutetothesky Profile Photo
enroutetothesky
#49re: 9 to 5 Rush...?
Posted: 3/30/09 at 3:31pm

I don't live in NYC but I visit frequently and I am extremely grateful to shows that have a lotto or rush system. It's great to be able to see a show at all on a student's budget.

What kinda irritates me about the lotto is the odds. I mean, there are people who show up every day for lottos and win, like, once. I absolutely hate it when a person drops there name in for lotto 2 minutes before the draw and then they win. Okay, the law of probability is that it doesn't really matter when you drop your name in but it still pisses me off because I've been waiting the 30 minutes between when they start taking names to when they draw.

There are never any guarantees with lottos whereas with a rush system, if you're dedicated enough to show up at 8am and wait 2 hours for the box office to open, you're absolutely guaranteed a ticket.

Videos